1978 620 vg30et

bigboy620

On 9/20/2018 at 5:00 AM, nl320what said:

Its very light so anything really would be good... Rear axle from an Toyota 6 lug truck (usually 4x4), Pre-2002 Ford Explorer used posi 8.8" rears (5lug tho), then you have S10 rears, and the good ol 9" from an F150 truck too.

I mentioned these as they have aftermarket parts still, easy Pick n Pull finds, and numerous gearing choices.

Cool I was thinking about lug pattern too. Gotta keep it 6 lug.

• Like 2
  • 6 months later...
  • Replies 376
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

On 9/17/2018 at 5:45 AM, bigboy620 said:

What would be a good diff for my VG30et with a z32 trans setup. The truck tops out at like 90-95 mph. 

A 4 cylinder L20B will go this fast. Look for something other than the gearing. I see an after market speedometer is it accurate at 95? Look for something that's reducing power at top speed like lack of fuel from the pump. No mechanical advance? Is there severe ignition retard at higher RPMs on that distributor? Carb goes lean? Something.

• Like 1

X2 on the Toyota axle.  Just be sure you get an early 4x4 axle with the same width as your Nissan axle. They got wider and wider as they got newer.

Cost of new ring and pinion for Nissan - about $450

For Toyota - about $200 and there are many more ratios available to choose from.

• Like 1

Stock 620 tires are 600 X14 or roughly 175/75R14 and 23.65" diameter. Your FS5R30A has a 5th gear ratio of .779 and the '78 620 only used a 4.375 differential. 

Your RPMs at 95MPH would only be 4,599.

If you switch to a 3.70 differential, your 95MPH RPMs would be 3,890. Now call me crazy, but if you can't push through the air above 95 with the power of a VG30ET @ 4,600 RPMs HOW will you ever do it at 3,900 RPMs????????????? Like I said a 2 liter L20B will go 95MPH.

Something not adding up here.

• Like 1
On 4/6/2019 at 11:44 AM, datzenmike said:

Stock 620 tires are 600 X14 or roughly 175/75R14 and 23.65" diameter. Your FS5R30A has a 5th gear ratio of .779 and the '78 620 only used a 4.375 differential. 

Your RPMs at 95MPH would only be 4,599.

If you switch to a 3.70 differential, your 95MPH RPMs would be 3,890. Now call me crazy, but if you can't push through the air above 95 with the power of a VG30ET @ 4,600 RPMs HOW will you ever do it at 3,900 RPMs????????????? Like I said a 2 liter L20B will go 95MPH.

Something not adding up here.

It has no problem going 100mph. The problem is, it feels as if I need a 6th gear. As I’m cruising at highway speeds, let’s say 65-70 mph in 5th gear and I wot. It feels as if I have no more speed to catch after it hits 100 to 110 and engine close to redline. Catch my drift?

• Like 1
On 4/6/2019 at 11:13 AM, Stoffregen Motorsports said:

X2 on the Toyota axle.  Just be sure you get an early 4x4 axle with the same width as your Nissan axle. They got wider and wider as they got newer.

Cost of new ring and pinion for Nissan - about $450

For Toyota - about $200 and there are many more ratios available to choose from.

What about a 4x4 d21 lsd axle? I saw one at the junkyard this past weekend 

• Like 2

Sure, but I am pretty sure they are a ton wider than the 620 axle. And then you're back in the position of parts being way more expensive than a Toyota axle.

I do not actually know the width measurements of the Datsun axles. Maybe someone can list them here for you.

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...
  • 3 years later...

Yea it won't let me log in to my old account.  I was considering a twin turbo setup, but going with a single turbo mounted under the bed. I believe my engine was getting heat soaked from the turbo and the exhaust system. Also mounted the radiator in the back.

• Like 1

Private Message me with your old user name and I'll send you a new password that you can access and change to your liking later. I think when you're squared away I can merge these two accounts so nothing lost.

• Like 2
12 hours ago, bigboy620 said:
  • 😎 how do you guys upload pictures? Photobucket?

I use photobucket and it's a royal pain in the ass. It takes 8 clicks to upload one pic to a forum. Also, they hold me hostage and I now pay a monthly fee. Too late for me to switch over to anything else, but given the choice, I would not sign up for a new photobucket account.

I will say there is one nice thing about third party hosting, like photobucket. Some forums don't let you see pics uploaded from a phone or a PC unless you're logged in. Photobucket pics uploaded to a forum are visible to anyone whether they are logged in or not. This is useful to someone like me who uses forums to generate business.

• Like 1

Extremely crappy service and brown outs. Every year they would rearrange things for no good reason and you would have to figure out all over again how to post a picture. The last straw was holding pictures hostage and anything you do post has PHOTOCHUCKIT stamped across it. I told them to go to hell. Got an e mail from the 'new owner' winging about how it was a mistake and come back; we'll improve... I told them what I thought of their service, fuck off and don't ever contact me again. 

Internet images is full of ruined no use pictures with PHOTOFUKIT stamped across it.

• Like 2