720 4x4 suspension swap?

Thisolddatsun

• Replies 224
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Im not looking to keep the axles with the stock gearing. I need lower gearing so I can use bigger tires and I would like to put a locker of some sort in to. My truck is a 81. Dont need it to go over 55mph but I would like to be able to spin 33s without a problem im thinking some 4.88s possibly. Not looking to go super fast I like to crawl. And im thinking a pathfinder rear end for the 4 link and coil springs.

• Like 1

Pathfinder and D21 are wider but only an inch or so on a 720. D21 are already leaf spring. The highest stock gearing for the H-233 is 4.625.... AND there is LSD 4 pinion available for it. The H-233 is larger than a Ford 9 inch.  Find one and get the 4.625 front R-180 diff to match.

• Like 1

Is the R-180 the front? I know the H-233 is the rear on the motor and it will handle the torque I make with the z20 I have due to the fact most pathfinders have a z24 or v6. Stock gearing isnt a big deal because ill regear them to match if need be. Just brainstorming at the moment to see what would be easier/more worth while because I do want to keep it IFS for as long as I can.

• Like 1

D21 Hardbody and WD21 Pathfinder ...

4 cylinder had C200 rear axle and R-180 front diffs

V6s are H-233 rear diffs and R-200front diffs.

The 720 had an H-190 rear differential in the 2wd and 4x4s to Oct '82 and a C200 after. All 4x4s had R-180 front differentials.

• Like 2
  • 5 months later...

D21 Hardbody and WD21 Pathfinder ...

4 cylinder had C200 rear axle and R-180 front diffs

V6s are H-233 rear diffs and R-200front diffs.

The 720 had an H-190 rear differential in the 2wd and 4x4s to Oct '82 and a C200 after. All 4x4s had R-180 front differentials.

So if I understand right the front differentials will pretty much have the same gearing options from 1981-1986 the r180 just mounted slightly different? If thats the case could I swap the steering knuckles/a arms with a 84+? Now knowing more about my gears in the truck even 4.11s would be nicer.
  • Like 1

Crawling gears are 488s, 462s, or maybe 437s for a crawler wanna be.

Real crawler folks use the double transfer case setup, that way they can be turning 2000/3000rpms and only moving walking speed or slower.

With that double transfer case setup, you could possibly still use your 390 gears for normal driving around.

• Like 1

Crawling gears are 488s, 462s, or maybe 437s for a crawler wanna be.

Real crawler folks use the double transfer case setup, that way they can be turning 2000/3000rpms and only moving walking speed or slower.

With that double transfer case setup, you could possibly still use your 390 gears for normal driving around.

Im still learning but right now its mostly to go out camping and play but also driven on the road but doesnt need to go more than 50 if that. Really just looking for more info on suspension a arms and such. Cause cv axles break eventually and I cant go buy new cv axles for my year. Only 84+ plus a locker or lsd would be nice. Not sure I want to weld the gears.
  • Like 1

They do it to rock crawl, it's slow motion driving, going over big piles of rocks at a half mile an hour, and they still break stuff at that mind numbing speed.

The pathfinders are married I think the d21 is to not sure how that would work I havnt looked to much at a double t case I actually wonder why people do it

• Like 1

I wonder if you could bolt a d21 transfer case in between the t100l and the trans.

Only the 720 has the divorced trans case. Two joined would be 4 to one ratio... roughly 2.5 MPH at 2000 RPMs in first, stock 25.5" tires. I guess you would turn the case on it's side and join the other to it 69 style, shorten the driveshaft.

Your stock gearing is better than 4.11 for your application...

I still can't get over the 3.889 in a 4x4, but higher numbers are better for crawling 4.11 and up

• Like 1

Only the 720 has the divorced trans case. Two joined would be 4 to one ratio... roughly 2.5 MPH at 2000 RPMs in first, stock 25.5" tires. I guess you would turn the case on it's side and join the other to it 69 style, shorten the driveshaft.

I still can't get over the 3.889 in a 4x4, but higher numbers are better for crawling 4.11 and up

I might have to try that. All my parts truck has left beside 4.38 gears (I think)

And about the 3.88 gears I was waiting for that part. Guess its a special truck! Hahah

• Like 1

Does anyone know the spline count at the outer hub on each version of the 4x4 suspension (As in Pre '83 and post '83 versions)?  And since both are R180 diffs, do they have the same bolt pattern at the diff?  or do the axle stubs have the same inner spline count, both pre and post '83?

This seems like the most important place to start in order to figure out how to swap the front ends.

• Like 1

Does anyone know the spline count at the outer hub on each version of the 4x4 suspension (As in Pre '83 and post '83 versions)? And since both are R180 diffs, do they have the same bolt pattern at the diff? or do the axle stubs have the same inner spline count, both pre and post '83?

This seems like the most important place to start in order to figure out how to swap the front ends.

I dont know the actual specs but from experience they are a hair bigger on the 84+ compared to the 80-83 I tried using one once
  • Like 1

Yeah the 80s longbed 4x4 had the best of the best gearing and 4spd tranny my dad had/still has one

I had a 1980 4X4 that I parted out with the 4.625 gearing, I sold the front R180 to a guy that races 510s, not sure where the rearend gears went.

I do have a C200 dually rearend with 4.625 gears, not sure what I will do with it, I bought it for parts, then figured out that the Nissan 720 4X4s have a C200 that is not a dually, but the gear parts are the same, so now that dually rearend just sits.