split collar shafts.

DatMo

I understand the diy coilover system and I'm just a little worried about it.

How does the lower spring holder on top of the split shaft collar not jump around?

I plan to do it on my 280zx 2+2 and feel a little sketched about it.

my ideas was to get some tokico lowering springs. i got kyb shocks coming by this week. and then use those as well as the collars to get a rough 3 inch drop.

To start, I couldn't even find collars so im gonna try home depot tomorrow for 2inch ones to prepare.

I'm also doing it in the rear which i have not seen anyone do? I'm sure it'll be the same concept.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

How does the lower spring holder on top of the split shaft collar not jump around?

there is a spring pusing it down into the collar?

Fastenal sells the collars

For the front, you could do like i did. I have 280ZX struts with 280ZX KYB inserts with A10 coils (you would use different springs, obviously)

i ground off the bottom perches and used a pipe larger in diameter as a spacer blah blah, here's pics

did some work today. 280zx strut swap. i used the stock springs off my other 1978 510 wagon (green machine). it pulled the wheels in (i dont remember right now) about a half inch or so.

Also has new hoses!

SchoolEndOfYear-Camping002_zpsb9b1b9d1.j

SchoolEndOfYear-Camping003_zps529dcb5c.j

SchoolEndOfYear-Camping009_zps70bc819a.j

SchoolEndOfYear-Camping010_zps61831da3.j

The above. Also you will likely find that just stacking all the components on top of each other and tightening the split collar will result in a vehicle that sits too low. I found this on my 710 even with the spring trimmed and firmer than stock. I had to support the vehicle, loosen the collar and use a jack to push the collar up the strut a couple of inches, compressing the spring and then tighten the collar. This is how the stock strut is on all cars... the spring is compressed and you can't just unbolt the top hat with it like that.

When I got the final ride height that I liked I buzzed a very small mig weld on the strut tube just below the collar so that there is no way it can slip down. Just for peace of mind. I put it where it would be easy to grind away later if needed. The specs on each collar is that they will support 6,000 pounds. That would be over 2 1/2 710s on each front strut.

• Like 1

I suspect you won't find split collars at Home Depot or any regular hardware store. You need to find an industrial supplier that sells bearings, pulleys, sprockets, roller chain, etc. Try searching Industrial Supply for your area. I got mine off eBay, but at the time there weren't a lot of 2" ones listed on there. If you get lucky you might find an eBay seller who is less expensive than a regular industrial supplier.

datzenmike - I seem to recall you posted that you had a collar slip down on one of your 710s. Do you think blue Loctite on the collar cap screws would be a good idea? I understand the bead of weld below the collar is best, but my welding skills are dubious at best.

Len

The above. Also you will likely find that just stacking all the components on top of each other and tightening the split collar will result in a vehicle that sits too low. I found this on my 710 even with the spring trimmed and firmer than stock. I had to support the vehicle, loosen the collar and use a jack to push the collar up the strut a couple of inches, compressing the spring and then tighten the collar. This is how the stock strut is on all cars... the spring is compressed and you can't just unbolt the top hat with it like that.

When I got the final ride height that I liked I buzzed a very small mig weld on the strut tube just below the collar so that there is no way it can slip down. Just for peace of mind. I put it where it would be easy to grind away later if needed. The specs on each collar is that they will support 6,000 pounds. That would be over 2 1/2 710s on each front strut.

I don't have a welder but may get some one to put a weld as well for piece of mind. As well the jacking of the collar. Can I just get a spring compressor and compress the spring, then put the top hat on?

Loctite or not.......I would still tag the collars to the struts

I'm thinking to do that as well. I'll just go pretty low from the start and get a  firned to weld it for me if he doesn't charge me a lot hopefully.

As well as the rear,  my 510 used to hope around because my coilover sleeve also just sat on it and was not actually welded until later.

The springs were also much shorter.

If I decide to do this, wouldn't the rear do the same? For a 3 inch drop, I'm kind of thinking that the eibach spring would still maybe hope around with the compression of the car on it? I'd also be clamping the collar to the shock...  

datzenmike - I seem to recall you posted that you had a collar slip down on one of your 710s. Do you think blue Loctite on the collar cap screws would be a good idea? I understand the bead of weld below the collar is best, but my welding skills are dubious at best.

Len

Len the bolt didn't come loose, I had just adjusted it and may not have tightened is as I should have. I also pounded the car through a RR crossing with a large dip in the road. The car was slammed down and then almost wheels off the ground and it slipped. I doubt you would normally encounter such a thing on most roads and I was traveling much too fast. Blue would prevent the bolts coming loose but wouldn't help them hold on harder.

I don't have a welder but may get some one to put a weld as well for piece of mind. As well the jacking of the collar. Can I just get a spring compressor and compress the spring, then put the top hat on?

The weld is just a small 'bump' on the strut tube that the collar can't slip down over... just in case.

You could get a spring compressor and do it that way but it's a guess as to how much to compress the spring. Might be impossible with the strut on the car. I jacked and supported the car up. Then placed a block of wood under the lower perch and jacked up upward, compression the spring, moved the loosened collar up and tightened. Let it down and check the results. I measured this one and set the other to match. I drove to Canby the first year and on the highway was fine but turning into driveways and around town the body would come down on the turned out wheel. I raised aboutan inch and the suspension had more room to stop that.

74strutswapjune13025Large.jpg

I'd be removing the entire strut assembly for both the front and rear because im replacing all the shocks and springs.

Sounds solid. I'm just hoping that this process will be as easy in the back as in the front.

I'm purchasing 4 of these tonight. These should work.

http://www.grainger.com/product/DAYTON-Collar-1L710?s_pp=false&picUrl=//static.grainger.com/rp/s/is/image/Grainger/1L692_AS01?$smthumb$

I'd be removing the entire strut assembly for both the front and rear because im replacing all the shocks and springs.

Sounds solid. I'm just hoping that this process will be as easy in the back as in the front.

http://www.grainger.com/product/DAYTON-Collar-1L710?s_pp=false&picUrl=//static.grainger.com/rp/s/is/image/Grainger/1L692_AS01?$smthumb$

Those are the ones i used on the front,no problems yet.

I don't know what the diameter of the rear struts are. They may be smaller.

I don't know what the diameter of the rear struts are. They may be smaller.

ahh shit. should have thought of that first.

I just bought four of them already :/

Well they're useful for future coilover setups i guess.

Praying it's the same in the back.

I measured my own rear struts and i think i'll need a collar for roughly 1.6 in.

I'll also wait until i get my new kyb shocks because maybe the diameter is different in the rear for those and 2inch will fit.

Even after crashing my car, my collars had not slipped. But I did do this to the wheel...

IMG_0453.JPG

Well now i know that I'm assured with the collars. Don't know if I'll even need to weld then. haha.

Just need to make sure I get the proper fitting for the rear shaft then.

Thanks for the reassurance.

May be obvious, but watch for clearence between the inside of your tires and the bottom spring perch. Leave a little wiggle room as once you drive the car you may want to make some adjustments. Try to leave the allen heads faceing in a direction that you can access with the car on the ground and of course with the wheels mounted. Makes tweaking and snugging up the final setting much easier. Blue loctite will be more than enough and watch you dont crush the strut tube with the collars.

May be obvious, but watch for clearence between the inside of your tires and the bottom spring perch. Leave a little wiggle room as once you drive the car you may want to make some adjustments. Try to leave the allen heads faceing in a direction that you can access with the car on the ground and of course with the wheels mounted. Makes tweaking and snugging up the final setting much easier. Blue loctite will be more than enough and watch you dont crush the strut tube with the collars.

What do you mean crush the strut tube? as in tighten too much?

But thanks. yeah, i already figured most of those things.

I'm just worrried about how I'll fit the back :/

Its two bolts, you'll be fine. There are lots of pics around the web and forum and even youtube videos I'm sure .

True. I think I'll just have to order new collars for the rear more than likely. I was stupid and didn't think about the back being a different diameter.

fuck. so it turns out i need 1.6 in shaft collars for the rear....

So i measured it to be 5 inches around, and with all the math it's something like 1.59. I can't find anything that fits that :(

anyone ever done this for the rear shocks?