4wd 510, can it be done?

HRH

I know there have to be a few other odd Datsun 510 owners such as myself, who even though they LOVE rear wheel drive, thought, hey, if there was a way to make my PL510 4x4 for even faster rally action, perhaps I could do it.

Which brings me to 86 Stanza 4x4 wagons. There's one on CL for $350 right now.

1. Yes, I know, insanely difficult swap.

2. Has anyone tried to fit a sideways CA20 into the engine bay of a 510, and would it fit?

3. Assuming you find the incredibly rare 4x4 stanza, which is primarily FF, is there a way to lock out whatever center diff or 4x4 system they have to provide 50/50 split, or will it be forever mostly FF?

My actual thought was to take the sawzall and cut the body pan from the Stanza wagon (intact) and weld the 510 body onto it. Yes, yes, much booing from purists now, but what if I made it look like it was factory?

I'm sure this will catch much flack, but I'm still curious to know if it can be done, has it ever BEEN done, and what are the highly esteemed board members' opinions? :D

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

There's been a couple of threads about this type of thing on the realm. I don't recall if anybody brought up the stanza, but I do know that plenty of other power-plants were essentially shut down due to size. And the fact that it would take a lot of work to get driveshafts onto the front wheels.

sure it's possible. with enough time and fab skills it's totally doable. the one major hurdle i see is just working around the strut tower tunnels, you would have to cut them out completely and re design the front suspension.

or like; you said, cut the 510 body and weld it to the stanza inards. either way, alot of work.

we are in the process of building an awd 510 right now. its kinda been put on hold because of unrelated things and we are still waiting on our front clip to show up here. we are using a pulsar gti-r drivetrain in it.

Be sure to keep us posted, that would be quite neat. I've heard of people wanting to the use the Pulsar drivetrain in a B13 sentra, but not in a 510. Would probably be a lot better, being built for more power than the 86 Stanza.

http://forum.ratsun.net/showthread.php?t=1780

heres the thread. not much more has been done to it because around the time those last pics were took was at the same time that our shop got broken into and all our power tools got jacked and the wheels for the car. it was a major setback but it shouldnt be too long before we will be able to start on it again.

seems like a good reason to me.

its been done.

ill do it to a wagon though :fu:

(& i dont want a 510 bolted to a 4X4 frame look AT ALL!!!

)

That's what I was thinkin. Why would you want to do that. If it were true AWD and not all jacked up with 44" mudders then I say go for it. :D

Agreed, if it's a 620 or something on a 4x4 frame, freakin' awesome! But yeah, I was going for something that wouldn't look any different that a 510, except would have the power and capability to actually be competitive in a 4 wheel drive rally class.

As we all know, 2wd/RWD rocks, but if you really want to go fast (like beat Ken Block fast), AWD and turbo is needed.

:D:D Holy shit that is going to be fun when your done. Please get your ass back to work on this car. Looking forward to some updates as the project gets back underway.

Sorry to hear about your tools coming up missing. That can get expensive to have to replace all that.

I know there have to be a few other odd Datsun 510 owners such as myself, who even though they LOVE rear wheel drive, thought, hey, if there was a way to make my PL510 4x4 for even faster rally action, perhaps I could do it.

Which brings me to 86 Stanza 4x4 wagons. There's one on CL for $350 right now.

1. Yes, I know, insanely difficult swap.

2. Has anyone tried to fit a sideways CA20 into the engine bay of a 510, and would it fit?

3. Assuming you find the incredibly rare 4x4 stanza, which is primarily FF, is there a way to lock out whatever center diff or 4x4 system they have to provide 50/50 split, or will it be forever mostly FF?

My actual thought was to take the sawzall and cut the body pan from the Stanza wagon (intact) and weld the 510 body onto it. Yes, yes, much booing from purists now, but what if I made it look like it was factory?

I'm sure this will catch much flack, but I'm still curious to know if it can be done, has it ever BEEN done, and what are the highly esteemed board members' opinions? :D

I have actually seriously concidered this. I thought the way to go would to use all pulsar GTiR running gear. Really the way to go is to get the wheelbase right then fab the body over the new chassis