Clutch Question for a 620, L20b, 6-bolt 200mm flywheel, 280zx 5-speed Mix & Match

Ron1200

No arguements here. Just putting information out there for you to pick through.

You don't need a 710 flywheel as such, any 200mm bolt pattern L20B flywheel will do but the PP from a 710 looks like the best clamping force other than the expen$ive Roadster unit. Keep in mind also that some makers lump all 200mm PPs as one part 'fits all' and you may not be getting the higher clamp 710 unit. The dealer will get you an honest 710 PP.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just joking around a bit, didn't intend that to mean we were arguing. Its been 25 years since I owned my 1st 510, I'm rusty and admit it. Without you folks on Ratsun I'd be at a loss. I'll take your suggestions any day of the week. This forum has keep me from making several mistakes when ordering parts, completely appreciate it!!

While I agree in principle that the L16 clutch is "weak" for an L20B, the reality is that the car isn't really any heavier with the L20B swapped in.  Now, unless you're trying to tow with a 510, or are drag racing or doing burnouts, any of the 200mm kits will work.  Some folks like the heavy clutches.  I don't.  Hell, I ran a USED (lightly) 200mm 510 clutch I got from Hainz in my 620 KC (had a L18 in it, not original) and did plenty of heavy hauling with that.   

Mike, I can't see how that table can be accurate, because L16 620s and L18 620s did not use the same clutch setup- L18 620s (1974 only) used a 225mm from the factory, same as the L20B 620s 75-79 and was the only known US-market source of the 225mm 5-bolt flywheel.  My L18 620 was a mutt of indeterminate origin, using a 200mm car flywheel.

Also, there were 200mm L20B flywheels for the A10 (L20B and Z20S), which were a heavier car in some cases and the actual successor to the 710.

Ryan make this simple

a car L20 will have a 200mm flywheel

truck L20 will have a 225 flywheel

as datzenmike said, I only mention the 510 stuff you have as you have it already. and the Roadster is the same height.So they are identical execpt for the clamping(well 1 has 2 riitc and the other 3 but most tpoepl wont notice this)

REMEMBER the 200sx has a different TO bearing sleeve(collar) but its still a 200mm

But the 510 slave and rod is adjustable and might work buy havent tried it as the T/O sleeve will be a different lentgh.

crap just reread and you got a 280 z trans so I dont know what slave setup you running. the 280zx or you want to use the 510 fork and slave setup

I'm pretty sure I understand what you all are saying. If I go with a 200mm then pick a model that ran it and get the necessary matching parts. If I go with a 225 mm same thing. That sounds like the easiest approach.

So many options! I'm getting tired.

As mike said his role is to put info out there for me to pick through, my role right now is to be the picker. As such, I picked and can now head down the right path.

I'm gonna go to the dealer on this one armed with the knowledge you have provided. Hopefully they will give me the matching parts i need to make this happen. I'll let you guys know what I end up with and how it worked. Then I will have many many more questions once the engine is in.

Mike, I can't see how that table can be accurate, because L16 620s and L18 620s did not use the same clutch setup- L18 620s (1974 only) used a 225mm from the factory, same as the L20B 620s 75-79 and was the only known US-market source of the 225mm 5-bolt flywheel.  My L18 620 was a mutt of indeterminate origin, using a 200mm car flywheel.

Also, there were 200mm L20B flywheels for the A10 (L20B and Z20S), which were a heavier car in some cases and the actual successor to the 710.

Doug, absolutely right, I forgot about the L18 620. It's a one year only, 5 bolt 225mm flywheel and clutch. Nothing like it

I have the later 200mm 200sx clutch in my truck, it's pretty good, revs up and down nice, pulling the boat out of the water, it would be better with a 225 but it's what I had. Intresting note is the collars from the l16 and what was in the 200 sx was the same, but the diaphhrams had different heights, both 200 mm. The 200sx clutch is a lot stiffer than the l16 clutch.

On my lz23, im running a stage 2 ACT 225 pressure plate and a sprung hub 6 puck disc

• 2 years later...

Just realized that I didn't finish off my thread... Don't you hate it when there is no resolution.  :rolleyes:

I went with the EXEDY 06008 Clutch Kit (Disk, Pressure Plate, Pilot Bushing and Throw-out bearing).  This application is for a 200 mm Flywheel. The 06008 kit fits the following:

NISSAN 200SX  1977-1980

NISSAN 510      1978-1980

NISSAN 610      1974-1976

NISSAN 710      1975-1977

I can report that it installed on my L20b without issue and has been working fine since Sept. 2014.  :thumbup:

Currently its available at (I'm sure other places also):

Rockauto    $75

Amazon      $90