Lowering the back end

Duncan

Is there a recommended way of lowering the back end of my 1200 Coupe? I'm not crazy about the lowering block idea.

Can a spring shop de-arch or re-arch the rear springs?

I wouldn't mind the ride getting a little stiffer, and I'm also concerned about changing the pinion angle too much.

Thanks!

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes a spring shop can DE-arch your springs or make you new ones with the ride height and spring rate that you want.

Lowering blocks do the job quite nicely, but i really dont like the way that some people are flipping the bottom leaf over and installing it in the top.

Jason

A combination of both is a good idea. Use a small lowering block and then de-arch the spring to set the height you want. That way you are less inclined to have axle tramp (caused by large lowering blocks) and you still have some spring left in the leaves.

Guest jaimesix
Is there a recommended way of lowering the back end of my 1200 Coupe? I'm not crazy about the lowering block idea.

Can a spring shop de-arch or re-arch the rear springs?

I wouldn't mind the ride getting a little stiffer, and I'm also concerned about changing the pinion angle too much.

Thanks!

Duncan, is it you???

This is Jaime, whats up :)

The best way to lower your 1200 is by decambering the springs, I did it at a shop in garden Grove/Anaheim area, the shop was great, the guy is knowledgable, a cool guy that has his own perf cars.

Searching through my records ( old phone book.) from back when I got that job done on my B210, this is what I got:

Address: 7582 Industrial way. Stanton, California 90680.

If you have the chance, drive by. Excellent service. It cost me 100 dollars for decambering the springs.

Easier if you take the springs off yourself and take the springs with you. Hope the business is still there, check it out if looking for good service and good prices.

With the decambering, I suggest fluid shocks, try some Konis. If you get gas, get adjustable gas, otherwise it might end up being too stiff for confort.

Hope to see ya at JCCS!!!:)

Jaime.___________________________________________________

I used 2" blocks and it works alright. After that was done, I heard about the spring shuffling/flipping method. I am planning on trying that instead to see how it compares. In theory it should work better. You can do it yourself if you have jack-stands and a c-clamp. Plus, it's free and reversible. Re-arching springs isn't. Whichever way you go -- let us all know how it works for you.

Duncan, is it you???

Hello Jaime, yes it's me :) Nice to see you around.

The best way to lower your 1200 is by decambering the springs, I did it at a shop in garden Grove/Anaheim area, the shop was great, the guy is knowledgable, a cool guy that has his own perf cars.

Address: 7582 Industrial way. Stanton, California 90680.

If you have the chance, drive by.

I'm off this Friday and give it a try. It seems to me I visited that place a LONG time ago and they might have gone out of business. (I hope not) I think I talked with them about new springs for my '55 Caddie.

Yes! I will see you at JCCS. Looking forward to it.

Mark (Duncan)

Guest jaimesix

Cool.

I hope that place is still in business. I remember it when I de arched my B210 springs. I even remember a city Library in the vicinity of that shop.

Keep us posted.

Jaime.______________________________________________________

Guest jaimesix

Hey Duncan.

That sucks, that was an excellent shop, great service, professional earnest and knowledgeable.:(

Perhaps they moved location..... :confused:

Check your PM box.

Jaime.________________________________________________________

• 2 months later...
That's like 50 YEARS AGO?

No, that was about 7-8 years ago :D

Anyways, I have the flipped/clamped springs in my 1200 pickup and boy is it ever stiff... for quick/easy lowering you might do it, but I don't recommend it.

I'm going to have them re-arched/de-cambered (whatever the right terminology is) I have a spare set of leaf springs, so if the ride is harsh. I can put the stockies back on if I have to.

With the economic gloom and doom news as of late, I've been reluctant to spend anything on car items. :eek:

Edited by Duncan