Datsun 610 brakes wanted

Hello,

I have a 66 roadster with front disc brakes from a 1973 datsun 610. They are fuctional but i do not feel supercomfortable with them. I cannot find a set of calipers anywhere. Anyone have a lead on where i could buy or an affordable way to rebuild them. Maybe a step by step guide? Any help would be great

Joshua

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for the pics.  It showed me what I wanted to see.  You're using stock roadster rotors/hubs and 610 calipers.  I'm pretty sure you can put volvo calipers on there....might need to shave the diameter of the rotor down.  http://www.311s.org/pmwiki-311/pmwiki.php?n=TechSection.VolvoCalipers

If you think about going this route, I have a pair of the calipers already drilled and I have the block off caps so that you can easily run one brake line.

I just checked myself.....rockauto does list calipers for the '73 610.  Did you look under Datsun or Nissan?

Check 311s.org  They've got tons of roadster info.  There's a couple of vendors that sell the stock rotors......for A LOT of money!!!! 

What do you consider affordable?  I do roadster kits...you can take a look at those and see if they fit the bill.  www.bluehandsinc.com

arent they the same as a 510?

ck rock auto and x ref the part numbers.

Lots of 510 calipers out there in junk piles

according to RA....they match up with 411, 510, and 710

.....so you might contact EagleAdam on here....I'm pretty sure he put new 710 calipers on Jessi's wgn just before he swapped over to the other setup I did.

Thanks last i checked rockauto had them listed but not acthally in stock or you could mail them in for a rebuild i will try and cross reference the part numbers and see if i can find some from another model tjat would work. For nkw i wanna use the previous owners set up and just bolt on a new set if possible if not i may try another modfied setup.

Calipers are super simple items.  If you take yours apart and the bore and cylinder are nice and clean with no pitting, clean them up good, throw in the rebuild kit(new seals) and call it good. 

I have not cleaned pistons or bores.  How would you recommend doing this?  Steel wool? Soft cloth and some rubbing compound?  I ordered new seals today.

If the inside is smooth and shiny, just replace the rubber parts and reassemble.  Lube them only with new brake fluid.

I did this vid awhile back.  It's a bit long and of a different caliper, but it will give you an idea of what's inside and how to get the rubber parts out and back in.

If the bores are pitted, I'd get new calipers, but you can use a hone to refinish the bore.....here's a quick example....

I'm sure with a few minutes on google or youtube you'll find better info.

I have not cleaned pistons or bores.  How would you recommend doing this?  Steel wool? Soft cloth and some rubbing compound?  I ordered new seals today.

This is exactly how I clean caliper pistons.

If there is slight surface rust I may also use some rust removal liquid.

Following cleaning, give everything a thorough rinse in methalayted spirits.

Methalayted spirits does almost exactly the same job as rattle pack brake cleaner, and is way cheaper too, therefore making it a perfect Ratsun alternative.