My new 'old' 280ZX turbo - 1983

Bleach

I completely agree bleach, and the only reason I'd say go for 17's or even 16's for that matter over 15's is simply tire choice. If you're going over 255 it's near impossible to find a tire for a 16 rim, while anything over 225 is impossible to find for a 15 rim. Though I'm talking about street tires, obviously hoosier makes some pretty wide tires for those with smaller rims.

But I completely agree, rotating mass is a big deal.

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 months later...

Sweet! I like the lowered stance Bleach :thumbsup:

The ride is not too harsh with the Tokico Blues and sway bars?

Have you installed your TTT T/C rods yet? I got mine in the mail, and had some questions for Gabe. I didn't know the stock caster for the ZX. He said it was about 4 degrees. Then he asked if I had power or rack steering. I told him I removed the PS pump, and my steering is kind of heavy now. He said if I dial in ~3.5 degrees caster, it will make my steering less heavy. He said that Bimmers run ~7-8 degrees caster to have good high speed stability at the expense of heavier steering. That is why they run huge power steering...

Those are 16x8...

and sadly that is where I want to be but that is a Photoshopped pic ;)

I'm pretty sure I'll be cutting 1/4 to 1/2 coil off the Tokico springs to get there.

This is where my Z is today...

newgarage01.jpg

I ordered that Aritaspeed g-nose remake so that set me back over $500. I need to look over my finances today and see how far off I am from ordering the Tokicos. :D It would be sweet to have the whole setup before POTD on May 17th.

Bleach your car looks nice with the stance and wheels. sometimes when I see zx's like these it makes me want one over a 240Z. zx and zx turbo's look like 240's with G nose with modern touches. How does the zx turbo drive as it seems like it would be easy to make those fast with some simple mods? I like that black one Gollum posted. I may have to buy one of these for fun.

Edited by benzo
:o u cheator!!! lol.. doit man it will look great..

btw did u cut the springs on the purple one?? she always sits so low i've wonderd for a while

Not at all. Those are ST springs I got from Shox.com

Front dropped 1.5" all by itself. The rear could use a little cutting to even things out.

Bleach your car looks nice with the stance and wheels. sometimes when I see zx's like these it makes me want one over a 240Z. zx and zx turbo's look like 240's with G nose with modern touches. How does the zx turbo drive as it seems like it would be easy to make those fast with some simple mods? I like that black one Gollum posted. I may have to buy one of these for fun.

I think they can get into the low 14's with some simple mods. (depends on what you think is simple though)

With not too much trouble you can put down 220-250whp and more torque than that. They feel in some ways sluggish with their delayed repsonse and high geared rearend compared to a 1981-83 NA ZX with the lower gearing and high compression.

I'm going to do a few things to make it more zippy too. More torque, faster spoolup, and probably 230whp and leave it at that.

The factory ECU sucks so bad. If you can only do one thing, do a Z31 turbo swap to these cars. I hear they are a new beast. Of course I have most of the parts to do it already.

Yeah I was thinking of getting a zx turbo and doing mods like turbo upgrade,exhaust,boost controller,intake upgrades and ecu changeout or getting a 240Z and adding a zx turbo motor or staying with a 240z for its old school feel and stay NA . just the zx body is starting to rub on me now at days and fuel injection is nice. seems like a zx turbo is a low budget start. I used to drag race and if I can make 250 whp at the wheels and make the car somewhat light I think it will rip on the street and strip. Keep me posted on your build. love to see the progress.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm in the process of removing the suspension so I can install the new springs, struts, sway bars, and tension rods.

I sure hope those springs arrive today or tomorrow... or this car isn't going to POTD :blink:

suprebuild04.jpg

suprebuild05.jpg

suprebuild06.jpg

suprebuild08.jpg

suprebuild03.jpg

Skib, I put in some updated pics of your turbo 240Z over at NWZA.org - hope that was ok

ya, tension rods are T3 or, TechnoToyTuning.com

(I made a special request for these last September and I'm the first person to get some, but not the first to install them)

sway bars are used but probably from Motorsport Auto

Tokico struts and springs kit from Shox.com

red bump-steer spacers from T3 as well

This silver car has some lower frame damage from inproper jacking (worse than Purple Z)

my tips on jacking up a 280ZX

Floor Jack:

rear - the diff, no other points. Jack stands on the main crossbeam on or near the sway bar frame mounts

front - center of the steering rack (never under the radiator support) Jack stands on the edge of the steering rack or under some short 2x4s on the frame right behind the struts

The owners manual even says to use 2x4's when jacking up on the frame rails (if you use them for that)

Otherwise I also use scissor jacks. When I installed my wheels I just used two Nissan scissor jacks on the outter lip where there is a cuttout to mark the jack point.

Oh, I should mention this. The pic shows the jack under the radiator. I only put the jack there with very little upward pressure after the car was already on jack stands. This was just a secondary safety catch, not meant for support of the car.

Since I don't want to die any time soon I also put some wheel ramps under the center of the car just in case it fell. :D

i've just got 2 cheapy jacks but i've got 4 stands.. for the rear i use the area near the rear sway bar like u said, an ya on the front just some 2x4's i think it would be well worth havin someone fab some nice jack points, an maybe some spots to but jack stands too :) oh an ya i leave the jacks in spots where they can catch an save me incase of a fall also hehe

The rear suspension went much faster. Springs are out and the sway bar is in ready to be tightened down after I get the replacement springs installed.

I guess I'll work on the seats for a bit while I wait to see if my Tokicos arrive today.

suprebuild18.jpg

suprebuild19.jpg

Tokicos did not arrive to day so I cut these stock springs. 1.5 coils up front, 3.5 coils in the back! No more 4x4 Z

The suspension is back together and the car is on the ground... oh it looks good. It might not be quite this low with the Tokicos on. :D

see ya tomorrow! ;)

suprebuild20.jpg

suprebuild21.jpg

suprebuild22.jpg

suprebuild23.jpg

suprebuild24.jpg

suprebuild25.jpg

suprebuild26.jpg

suprebuild27.jpg

Tokicos did not arrive to day so I cut these stock springs. 1.5 coils up front, 3.5 coils in the back! No more 4x4 Z

The suspension is back together and the car is on the ground... oh it looks good. It might not be quite this low with the Tokicos on. :D

see ya tomorrow! ;)

suprebuild27.jpg

Nice! Makes me want to get a Z again.