mklotz70

Lug nut engagement

Just found this piece of info in a Billet Specialties catalog. The question has come up before. Thought I'd post it so that it could get archived :)

Every stud must be long enought to thread a length at least equal to the stud diameter. Example: If using a 1/2" diameter stud, the lug must engage a min. of 1/2" of the stud length.

• Like 1

At a minimum, more is prefered for a little piece of mind.

Jason

• Like 1

Every stud must be long enought to thread a length at least equal to the stud diameter. Example: If using a 1/2" diameter stud, the lug must engage a min. of 1/2" of the stud length.

Ahhhhh! The age old question of lenght vs. girth!

^its not the size that matters its how you use it

lol couldnt resist, i had to keep it going:D

When I was a kid I was in a local garage where they had comic posters on the wall. One had a drawing of a large bolt (with obvious male characteristics) chasing a nut. (with obvious female characteristics) And the female nut is shouting over her shoulder: " Not without a washer you don't!!!"

• Like 3

When I was a kid I was in a local garage where they had comic posters on the wall. One had a drawing of a large bolt (with obvious male characteristics) chasing a nut. (with obvious female characteristics) And the female nut is shouting over her shoulder: " Not without a washer you don't!!!"

Mike,

I saw an actual figure like this.

Someone made a nice base, had the bolt with legs, and the nut with legs. Then below in like a plaque it said "Not without a washer!"

I saw that about 20 years ago (27 now) and didnt know what it meant until my teens. Hilarious!

Hmm... I thought I'd add this question here. I just pulled my wheels off for the first time and noticed that the lug nuts look kind of small!

photo-3.jpg

See the way the one on the bottom sits in? I thought it was a pretty universal size and I've changed plenty of other tires before but these seem to have very large holes and there are 6 lugs instead of 5. Autozone said there's only one size of nut, but it kinda makes me nervous to look at, since it's not really biting onto much metal. Any thoughts?

I don't see a tapered seat on the rim....so the prob is that the nuts are the wrong style. You need a mag style nut with a shoulder and washer.

Ok so there are different styles! Guy at autozone didn't mention it. I wonder of they have them? The seat is tapered I think but it's a much larger diameter than the taper of the lug nut, so it only bites onto like 1/3 of the taper. I've been driving around like this and only noticed last night when I replaced my shocks. Previous owner has done soo much dumb stuff to this car :/

Guy at autozone didn't mention it.

thats because he works at autozone :mellow:

I could change my oil with an acetylene torch high on acid and still do better that your average parts guy at autozone :rolleyes:

Touché Haha. I had to make a trip there last night after I installed one shock...I got to the second one and it decompressed MUCH faster....hmm...then I noticed it was a different box. I took it back and the guy told me that the company just changed their box design but it was the same product number. haha. I has to argue with him until a manager finally let me get the right one. I've been there a lot lately with similar stories. Autozone is fun! Lol

Touché Haha. I had to make a trip there last night after I installed one shock...I got to the second one and it decompressed MUCH faster....hmm...then I noticed it was a different box. I took it back and the guy told me that the company just changed their box design but it was the same product number. haha. I has to argue with him until a manager finally let me get the right one. I've been there a lot lately with similar stories. Autozone is fun! Lol

yaaaa :rolleyes: always double check your own stuff cuz 99.9% of the time the guy behind the counter is dumber than a box of rocks. every now and then you might get lucky and find someone that actually knows somthing about cars.

I try to have my part numbers ready before I ever get to the store. Saves so much hassle.