72 Datsun 521 Build Thread [Miata]

Elkie

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I shoulda gotten a picture of him squeezing into the seat mockup. I'm six ft and its a tight fit, he's 6'5". Glad I ended up the short one. We'll be starting his z build after this.

• Like 2

As far as the 720 heater and AC in my 520 it fits good.  The problem is the fresh air intake is on the passenger side and on the 520 521 it is in the center.  So I shaved my fresh air intake on my cowl and I will run it on recirculate.  Where I live there are several dairy farms so it is not a big deal to me.

Thanks for the info charlie, reminds of of passing the feed lots. I got a knee knocker set up for the 521, that was originally dealer installed on this truck. This weekend we finished the firewall, and doin up the mounts for the heater box.

IMG_20150426_143535_zpsbvbxzojb.jpg

IMG_20150426_143521_zpsi0tje7wr.jpg

• Like 3
  • 3 weeks later...

Thanks finney. Kinda been doin split duty with the 620 again, getting a/c working in it. Have made some progress though with the 521. Have it resting on the suspension now. Should sit about an inch lower with the motor in it. Constant rain has been causing some flash rust, but meh.

IMG_20150514_160250_zpsflhqwn48.jpg

Most of the works done in the engine bay. Maybe add a spot for the battery? Not sure yet.

100_0182_zps2p9xnyf5.jpg

Working up ideas for rack and pinion placement. With the KA motor placement, there is not really an room to move it forward.

100_0183_zpslsdealtp.jpg

• Like 2
  • 1 month later...

Been doing some side projects, but parts finally came in for the steering. Took the tube from the miata, got a new splined shaft and ujoint, slid in the tube and welded. Prob do a bolt or a pin welded in as an extra security measure.

IMG_20150618_150944_zpskgad6lsy.jpg

• Like 2
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Been a while, little update. Been reworking the shock mounts up front. At full turn, and lowest ride height the tire could touch the front bar. Did finish getting the tank mounted.IMG_20150821_130208_zps50tb5rkf.jpg

Also added a battery tray for a miata sized battery

IMG_20151014_112722_zpsvjssrspp.jpg

• Like 3
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Been a while, got the frame all painted, and during assembly the sway bar set up didn't work. So after a bit of research came up with a new solution. Added a bit of European class to the build, an e36 sway bar up front. Over all the frame is done, other than to touch up paint, and run fuel lines.

New sway bar mounts.

IMG_20160110_184056_zps2vjnrpa7.jpg

IMG_20160110_184106_zpsp78nfl9q.jpgIMG_20160110_184113_zpselmcyosv.jpg

Mounted up

IMG_20160114_154344_zpsc3n1mpo6.jpg

Couple side shots

IMG_20160114_154403_zpsxzn8ya63.jpg

IMG_20160114_154415_zpsyrk4scjn.jpg

• Like 6

Thanks for the kind words. It's getting really close now, most of the fab is done. For the cab just need to get the top of the core support removable, radiator/condenser mounted, finish battery tray. And for the bed need to figure out where to mount gas filler, gonna try to figure something out so it's not in the bed. Hope to be done in the spring.

• Like 2

They are all stock. It's a bit wider than the 521, but with stock offset miata wheels everything still fits under stock fenders. Basically the rear subframe sits right in the frame, the front required a bit of cutting to get it to mate to the frame

• Like 2