Nasty ass lz23 v2

scooter

Ok ive waited a while to post, but the pics are comming, gimme about a week to get home from work.

So im building a lz23 with a z22 crank, z22 block, u67 head.

Goodies for the bottom end include cp custom flat tops with valve reliefs, u60 rods with arp bolts, lightened flywheel as per the diagram floating around, the block has been milled to clean, line honed with main studs and bored to 89. I just about went to 90mm but got scared lol.

The head is isky valve train, z196 grind with the springs and retainers, ferrea super comp valves, shnieder lash caps, valve seats have been changed and the head ported. Its held down by arp head studs.

For intake i have a cannon with a set of 45 dcoe's, and an edelbrock fogger system.

I have a new timing set on it, and a ati super damper on the nose of the crank.

The rotating assembly has been balanced to as close to zero as you can get.

Yes its gonna be on race gas, and im starting off small with the nitrous.

My only worry so far is i think the rods arent gonna take it, but we'll seeeee.

What do you guys think its gonna make for horsepower? :)

• Like 1
  • Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

A few things ive regretted on this build is i bought a header from top end performance there, and the ports are small, but otherwise half decent. Im gonna weld around the joints and try and open up the ports on it. Shoulda tracked down a nissan comp. header. Maybe down the road.

The other thing i dropped the ball on, is i shoulda went with more lift with the same duration on the camshaft.

Its getting water injection too as it comes out to 12.3:1 with the flat tops in it, so it may be able to run some 94 with the water. Ill be uploading all the pics when i get home and try and take a vid when we run it up on the rollers.

And im using a modded fel pro z24 gasket, if i have issues ill be getting cometic to build me a gasket.

The L20B rods are good to 7K.

140 RWHP on gas.

Ya 140 rwhp at the very very most but I'll go with 130rwhp only because I haven't a clue as to what type of real porting/head work you have or who did the work or the cam specs. But other than that it'll be a screamer and a blast to drive providing your NOX doesn't hurt anything.

Goodies for the bottom end include cp custom flat tops with valve reliefs, u60 rods with arp bolts, lightened flywheel as per the diagram floating around, the block has 

Did you have to shave the rods to fit the custom flat tops?

The pistons are 3 thou down the hole, flat tops with valve reliefs. Maybe i used the wrong number for head cc's. I havint shaved the head yet because i wanted to cc it. Its completely ported with a very trick valve job, it has +3 mm ferrea 280zx intake valves and +1 on the exhaust.

Nothing done to the rods other than a shot peen, arp bolts and a recondition.

Cp basically built me a flat top z22 piston with l series valve reliefs. Tool steel wrist pins.

scooter, on 14 Jul 2014 - 10:01 PM, said:

So im building a lz23 with a z22 crank, z22 block, u67 head.

... cp custom flat tops with valve reliefs, u60 rods... the block has been milled to clean, line honed with main studs and bored to 89...

scooter, on 18 Jul 2014 - 10:24 AM, said:

The pistons are 3 thou down the hole, flat tops with valve reliefs.

A stock U-67 head has a 45.2cc combustion chamber.

With the above info the 89mm bore x 92mm stroke makes a 2288cc (2.3) liter engine. As there is virtually no piston dish and no deck height to worry about its 11.86 compression with stock U-67 head.

Im using a refurbished matchbox dist with an msd box, that sounds about right mike, maybe there was an error in the calculator i used. With the amount of headwork done im gonna say 180rwhp. But ill post the no bull when it happens.

If it runs on straight 94 ill be impressed, im prepared to run on avgas or race gas though. Its not a daily driver by any means, but if it does hit the street its going to be roaring around doing some hooning.

I have a 72 620 which is the daily which actually has the stock l20b out of the 200sx in it now

If you guys want a good rebuildable l16 lemme know, come get it. I pulled it out becaus i ran out of valve adjustment. The valves sunk. Other than that it was good, didnt burn oil. I also have a 80 l20b id like to part with

jeffs SR20 turbo was 190-205rwhp depending on timming

Yours will be under 140rwhp/ unless your cheating with a 5.38gear ratio in 3rd gear pull.

anything over 120hp on aL motor is where the guy who builds motor know where to make the magic happen.

key is ignition on this and crank fire is the way to go and get the dizzy curved.

A guy at one show had a rebello built LZ 5K$$$$ motor with coil packs and had 140.

But Byron510 on the realm said he did a LZ parst motor with sidedrafts and got 138 but find out he had a reallow gear ratio .

• scooter changed the title to Nasty ass lz23 v2