71 521 something

earlyvws

Disk brakes. I looked at the ones a couple people are making. And I choose to make a different bracket then what the others were doing. I don't have a welder powerful enough to weld thick metal on such a crucial area. So I came up with a bracket that requires no welds in critical areas. This is the prototype I made so far. I missed the location of one hole for the caliper but now I think I will be able to get it on the next one.

First I got the 2002 Honda Passport rotors and z32 calipers.

Problem one the rotor is a good fit but there is a lot of movement so it does not spin true. I made an aluminum ring that is .003" undersized. Heat the ring with a torch and slide over the center of the hub and now the rotor is centered and doesn't wander up and down.

62F77748-5F44-426B-A8F9-03F222F8837E.jpg

Problem 2. The rotor OD is pretty much the same as the 300z but the center hat must be smaller. The pads overhang the rotor.

8D2019BA-27A4-442F-ACD3-B6711053BD2B.jpg

B898FAF9-1C5F-4B5D-B66C-DB50F18F6E8C.jpg

Cut the wear limits off and now the pads can go all the way down.

0381E2B4-615D-4F9D-8B22-B7812031D753_1.j

The bracket is 1/2" cold flat plate.

8671DC12-7313-4AE6-9334-8F30590AC874.jpg

55E9C428-9BCB-46EE-A08F-74E81A5AC373.jpg

Mounted to spindle

24CAE19C-52ED-4976-A86D-714B0A72B383_1.j

3D7E78C0-A173-42F0-B0C9-3FACBE92FBF8.jpg

5F2CA825-2A73-4A2E-9E37-051152A08772.jpg

39740E16-A283-4959-B4C4-8A5C8BE48EF3.jpg

There is a bit more work to go. The washers will be replaced with spacer welded to the bracket and going to add a third attaching bolt at the bottom of the bracket. But this one at least answered all the questions I needed and I can now try to make a final version.

• Like 1
  • Replies 302
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well it was a mistake by the metal shop. I told him I needed a 3/8"x8"x15" cold flat. He said how about this piece then I don't have to cut it. I said ok and he hooked it up on the price. I didn't realize it was 1/2" until I was machining it. I kept thinking 3/8" is thicker then I thought. Then I realized it was 1/2" so it was too late to get 3/8" so 1/2" it is now.

• Like 1

I think this truck is already done and hes just posting just enough in between days to make all us look bad and not motivated.

this is one if the fastest moving builds ever i think.

I like the VW station wagon in back also

He is still chasing Bob, no offence intended. :)

A may not be a true build but it sure is fun. I'm still on hold to finish the 69. The head is still at the machine shop so this is filling the time. And I can't wait to drive this thing. It is turning out more then what I initially thought. But at least now I will have a comparison of what a basically stock truck will be like and what difference I made on the 69.

At first I was going to go with stock rims, but I wanted to go 4 wheel disk. I just didn't want to deal with the weird brake lines. I had trouble finding the SAE japanese flare soft lines so I decided do a brake upgrade and make it easy for brake lines. Also I only have 3 caps that are pretty rusty and pitted.

Had a unproductive week. But finally finished the front caliper brackets and got the rears made to the point of figuring out spacing. The rear end seems not quite right so I didn't want to space the brackets to rotors until I tear apart the rear and replace as many seals etc I can get my hands on. The driver side has 12 shims and the passenger side 3. This seems suspect to me. I never heard of shimming that much. So I'm going to take apart the rear out of the 70 and use that one unless something turns out bad with that one.

Front brackets. I call them P99. No I don't have a name it's just funny after I was done I kept thinking they look like a Walther P99.

C0120959-9C8E-4D4B-B613-2B4B84BFB26A.jpg

5F5F0BD8-245B-47C3-BBEF-F290B2A3C5C3.jpg

B7C19948-D319-4129-9514-CAFF1FF5591E.jpg

The rears not done yet. Call these "illusions"

6ABB4C7C-3288-48C1-A874-5241F7C4D9A4.jpg

• Like 1

I hope my bracket is going to work then. I was concentrating on the e-brake bracket. It was hitting the block for the rear end. So I moved it up to clear. Did not pay attention to the frame rails. Also the ones for sale were about this location so I assumed it would be ok. Never assume anything right!

Got the rear end cleaned up and painted. This VHT roll bar and chassis paint is nice. When it's dry it looks like powder coat. The pics are still a little wet so there is more gloss then should be.

F979EAD3-9D36-482E-A5D4-2FD674AAE1AE.jpg

A6C6071F-6A4A-405A-9C72-E6B2AE053451.jpg

7C871AF4-2356-499D-9FDD-62CB4BA4FAA2_1.j

Order all the seals and got new bearings so the rear end should be nice.

Been without a phone for a few days. Kids lost the last charger we had and took me 3 days to find it.

Yeah the paint looks nice. But I don't think it was cheaper then powder. I probably would of got the axle bearing caps and 4 disk brake brackets done for $60.

I bought 4 cans used 3 @ $8 ea = $24 about 12 scotch pad disks I think those are about $0.70 ea = $8.40 total = $32.40 + about 5 hours.

Reason I didn't powder was I was worried about getting the seals. Ordered them from Napa and the lost them then ordered again and got them only took them 5 days to get it right.

• Like 1

No, no secret, just stuck until the machine shop finishes his shit. The guy I brought it to is an old school guy who is in high demand. 1 man shop and quality exceeding everything I've seen before.

I can't finish all the things I need too until I have a complete motor. I need to make engine and tranny mounts. Figure if I can fit A/C compressor next to steering column, figure out the center tie rod to oil pan, figure out the drive line etc. most of which I can't do without a complete motor and tranny on the frame. I want all that done before cab goes on. Working by myself with a forklift makes it impossible to put motor/ tranny into the body. And I don't want to get a cherry picker just to do this job when I don't really need to do it that way.

I have done everything I can do until the cab is on. I still have the doors to finish but I have no where to store painted doors at this point. They will just get scratched up.

I'm not complaining. Just saying that the all mighty forklift has limitations. Such as in this case. Where a low tech simple cherry picker will do the job easier when solo. Of course if I have a second hand to help then the forklift can be done as well.