71 521 something

earlyvws

121D32A4-392D-418C-9824-82787CEC23AA.jpg

47103D00-BEE1-447D-8FA8-E3A1F86308E5.jpg

A84278E6-CC4D-4DB7-827A-93A3D6C31ABD.jpg

281A2D34-8363-4415-A025-E92C56EDDC2F.jpg

62ED6A71-B085-4AFA-A66E-E30B9D2D456D.jpg

I might not be able to save the OG hood. Might screw up most of the paint. Needs welding and most of the structure removed. Going to try, but as soon as the paint starts getting ruined going to stop and get the other hood ready for paint. I don't want to try to match the green. Probably be very difficult. So any suggestions? Black? White? Something else...

Body is just resting on frame. Needs to come off to lower the front. The threads are all chewed up on the bolts that hold the back of the torsion bars. I want to use an impact to take them off. So cab has to come off.

• Replies 302
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

best to get a 1 pc intake manifold. The 2 pc are just a pain in the ass when you want to pull them.

The 1 pc mikuni or the lesser Cannon manifold would be OK.

just so you can unbolt them as a whole unit when doing intake gaskets or pulling head off.

I too have this 2 pc manifold and they going to the scrapper!!!!

truck is looking good. I Love the white stripe.

I hated my Green 521 but the green will grow on you like moss

Thank you for the advice. I actually have a 1 piece for my FJ20. So what you said will be great comfort knowing that I have the best option for that motor.

This project is about using up work I already completed and things already purchased. Hopefully there won't be a need to change intake gasket for a while since it is all new gaskets on the motor.

Lowered front and bolted cab on. Next will be all the little things and wheels and tires.

CD941C12-EFAE-4333-9CE7-F25A99D5B77F.jpg

9EF2BAC7-6EE4-4340-991D-725C881B0C7A.jpg

This one I will work on for 2 more days and stop for a little bit. My KA motor is finally done at the machine shop and I will pick up on Friday. So I can get back on the 69. I wanted to get this truck as far a long as possible this week.

Haha I hope somebody will want it. But if not I won't be complaining. I was targeting $4k but there is a nice 72 on CL right now for $2400 so now I'm worried. I still going to build this one nice no matter how much I lose. I think this one will be very cool. Wait till I can show the rims! I hope I'm the first with them. I want to powder them and get tires before showing them off.

When I saw that truck I had a few feelings going on. First was damn if I didn't start all this I would of been there the second he posted it. Then I was damn if that is only worth $2400 I'm screwed.

I got to say I'm having a hard time adjusting to datsun pricing. You guys are giving shit away. VWs pricing on parts has gone so far out of line I can't tell what is overpriced and what is a deal with these.

I had to piece together my notch. Got a lot of deals on parts from 2 friends in Sac that buy and sell parts for a living. I still have about $20k buying parts. It seems I could buy all the parts individually for this truck and maybe spend 2-3k.

Oh well it still is fun building these.

I made some "C" brackets out of 16 gauge sheet and I lowered it a little because the cap was hitting my hood. I have a sheet under the hood so it had no room for the cap.

I may have to take the rad out again and if so I will take pics.

MrBig, I must not have the slimist fan available. To get the rad flush for me I would have to cut into the area right before the chrome trim. So I decided to make brackets instead. Also when I was going to use the radiator on the 69 I had to lower the rad because of the piece I made that covers the bottom of the hood.

The matchbox was probably not a deal, but I was prepared to pay. It was the main thing I went there for. It was the last piece I really needed to have a running motor and I have not been able to find one anywhere. Paid $180.

The tail light is the one I was not happy to pay. I even said no the first time I picked it up. I even left and went to the warehouse to start working and then I was thinking about it and then decided if I have to do a vin inspection I don't want a broken taillight, so I went back with a friend. He drove us back and guess what I left me cash in my truck. He had no cash on him, so we drove back to my truck and back again to get the damn thing. $100 and I don't even like these taillights. This guy pricing was crazy high even by what I'm used to seeing. He was the guy all by himself in the back of the lot.

So a guy I did some metal work for on his bus found me yesterday. I was really looking at this 510 and I hear my name being yelled from somewhere. I like wtf I don't know anyone here.

So turns out 2 years this guy sold one of his vws and bought a 510. He told me about it back then. At the time I didn't care. This is the one he bought and restored, now I'm jealous.

8B7956B7-0929-420C-8921-DFD3EE1818DC.jpg

• Like 1

^^seen that at our last show in may. i absolutely love that color

MrBig, I must not have the slimist fan available. To get the rad flush for me I would have to cut into the area right before the chrome trim. So I decided to make brackets instead. Also when I was going to use the radiator on the 69 I had to lower the rad because of the piece I made that covers the bottom of the hood.

The matchbox was probably not a deal, but I was prepared to pay. It was the main thing I went there for. It was the last piece I really needed to have a running motor and I have not been able to find one anywhere. Paid $180.

The tail light is the one I was not happy to pay. I even said no the first time I picked it up. I even left and went to the warehouse to start working and then I was thinking about it and then decided if I have to do a vin inspection I don't want a broken taillight, so I went back with a friend. He drove us back and guess what I left me cash in my truck. He had no cash on him, so we drove back to my truck and back again to get the damn thing. $100 and I don't even like these taillights. This guy pricing was crazy high even by what I'm used to seeing. He was the guy all by himself in the back of the lot.

rods discount datsun i believe. tends to be a bit pricey but usually has what your looking for