fake weber

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

James sounds like a salesman at Redline. Typical salesman jargon. It would be nice if there were more places to buy a Weber carb in the US than the two or three options we have. And for that I blame Weber and Magneti  Marelli. It would cut down on the fakes and not only make it easier to buy a genuine Weber carb, but the pricing would be more competitive. Heck, it would be nice if you could buy one at the local parts stores like I can a Holley or Edelbrock. Or even Summit Racing. Their customer service is top notch! I have spent literally thousands with them in the past when I used to drag race cars. And while we are on the subject of fakes and ripoffs, I bet you all didn't know the Weber design is a copy of the old discontinued Holley 5200.

5200setupside.jpgill2-05.jpg

The Holley 5200 was a licensed copy of the 32/36 DFAV, which is the "mirror image" (not quite, but close) of the DGV.  The top bolt pattern is completely different for no apparent reason other than to make it impossible to share air cleaners, and of course the throttle pulls the other direction.  I used a DFAV on my 4x4 for a year or so until I got a DGV that fit better.  I just ran the linkage upside-down.

Holley 5200s have various different venturis ranging from 230 to 270 cfm (@ 3in HG), because they were OEM equipment on engines ranging from 1.6 to 2.8L.  270 CFM was the rating for the earliest Weber 32/36 DFV.  The 32/36 DGV has a rated 320 CFM (@ 3 in HG) in most models, which is well above the Hitachi DCH-340 which is under 300.  But, DGVs could be had with more or less than 320. 

I was going through my carbs, and the 2 DFAV cabs I have, both have WEBER cast into the accelerator pump housing (but nowhere else).  One has "Made in Spain" stamped on the side, the other has the place for the origin but nothing there.  My 32/36 DGEV that came in a Redline box has "WEBER" and "Made in Spain" cast into the front, and in INTERCO sticker on one side, which is an odd combination of things.  Somewhere I have one with a black choke heater, but damned if I can find it.  The oddball one is a 38 DGAR. I'd never heard of such a thing- it looks like a 38 DGAS (including the synchronous geared throttles) except it has an extra component in one side, where most webers have a blank flange.  I looked it up and it's a carb off a Renault 3.0V6.  But more interesting is it says "Weber Bologna Italy" on it.  So I DO have an Italian Weber in my collection.  Funny, cause I got it from a Datsun guy including the Trans-Dapt adaptor.

...In the foreman's office of a Chinese sweatshop that makes fake Weber carburetors.

So that explains why  Mike's profile pic looks like an Asian girl! It really is her picture! Mike is short for Michelle. It's all coming together  now... :P

But back on topic, to the OP... IF that carb was truly made in China, you may want to handle that thing only when wearing rubber gloves seeing how China still allows the use of materials banned by the rest of the world. The entire carb case might be lead, and the gasket material is probably asbestos!  :sick:

Went garage saling a while back. I found this cute flower pot that I thought my wife would like.

When i got home, I decided to look up the pottery marks on the bottom. It ended up just being cheap Chinese junk made by some Real old guy guy named Ming, so I put it in the yard and shot it. Then I went to walmart and got her a real present.

No Chinese junk goin in my America Cabinet.

• Like 2