fake weber

I made the mistake of buying a "Weber" from weberdirect. I thought they still made Weber's but I guess the stopped making them as EFI was being introduced. I should've done the research first. Correct me if I'm wrong.

CAM00291_zpsc228e9d3.jpg

CAM00289_zps5ae58924.jpg

CAM00287_zpsbb601055.jpg

Should I return? Keep? I don't know what I should do

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Why do you think that is not a Weber? What is fake about it? The casting and machining marks do look kind of rough though.I guess Weber started making things cheaply to cut costs?

By the way, Weber was bought out a few years ago. The last true Weber carbs are old ones. Mine is an old one from the early 80's, pulled it off a Chevy Luv at the junkyard. It has the Weber logo cast into it, and the overall finish is a lot smoother.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weber_carburetor

That is a cheap knock off made in China....definitely not a genuine Redline Weber

Redline DOES NOT own or manufacture Weber carburetors. They only sell them. Get your facts straight.

• Weber North America: Importer and Official Distributor of Weber Carburetors for the North American Market.
  • Redline Weber: Large Distributor of Weber Carburetors, Kits, and Components.
  • Weber Carbs Direct: Distributor of Weber Carburetors, Weber Carb Conversion kits and Weber spare parts.
  • Weber Italy: Original Manufacturer.

Its not a real Weber... the easiest way to tell is that the cover is black. Genuine Webers are all white. 

Both Redline and Webers Direct should be selling actual Webers so I would return it and tell them you want a real one. If not, ask for a refund. 

• Like 3

Its not a real Weber... the easiest way to tell is that the cover is black. Genuine Webers are all white. 

Both Redline and Webers Direct should be selling actual Webers so I would return it and tell them you want a real one. If not, ask for a refund. 

HUH? Electric choke element you mean? That's the only cover I can think of? :confused: Mine I just bought is black and is stamped Weber, made in Spain.

popcorn.gif Good Grief!  This topic and what people think is a genuine part is confusing me. :crying:  I don't know what is real anymore! Am I real? Are any of us real or just someone else's imagination? Or are we all vegetables and being fed our lives through dreams by The Matrix? :frantics:

On a different note, I don't know Weber Carbs Direct return policy as I have bought parts from them, but never had to return any. I do know my experience returning a part with Redline was a pain! They sent me the wrong part, rebuild kit for a DFEV, I ordered a DGEV kit, my receipt and email said so. The salesperson was rude and wanted me to pay a restocking fee, and shipping both ways, I had to "get medieval on his ass" to get the right parts without paying more than I originally did. After that experience... SCREW THE ALMIGHTY REDLINE!

Best thing to do is call Weber Carbs Direct and let them know your concerns with the carb. That thing does look pretty scarred up. Then again, how do the venturis, , chokes and throats, jets, and overall visable interior of the carb look? That is the part that truly matters.

And on that note, I am going to bed!

"That is a cheap knock off made in China....definitely not a genuine Redline Weber"

Redline DOES NOT own or manufacture Weber carburetors. They only sell them. Get your facts straight.

Excusssssse me.....
I'm well aware that Redline does not manufacture Webers......and thought that was a given'

How's this...
Genuine Weber From Redline

Whatever.
  • Like 4

HUH? Electric choke element you mean? That's the only cover I can think of? :confused: Mine I just bought is black and is stamped Weber, made in Spain.

popcorn.gif Good Grief! This topic and what people think is a genuine part is confusing me. :crying: I don't know what is real anymore! Am I real? Are any of us real or just someone else's imagination? Or are we all vegetables and being fed our lives through dreams by The Matrix? :frantics:

On a different note, I don't know Weber Carbs Direct return policy as I have bought parts from them, but never had to return any. I do know my experience returning a part with Redline was a pain! They sent me the wrong part, rebuild kit for a DFEV, I ordered a DGEV kit, my receipt and email said so. The salesperson was rude and wanted me to pay a restocking fee, and shipping both ways, I had to "get medieval on his ass" to get the right parts without paying more than I originally did. After that experience... SCREW THE ALMIGHTY REDLINE!

Best thing to do is call Weber Carbs Direct and let them know your concerns with the carb. That thing does look pretty scarred up. Then again, how do the venturis, , chokes and throats, jets, and overall visable interior of the carb look? That is the part that truly matters.

And on that note, I am going to bed!

We are all real, unless we are made in China.

• Like 2

"That is a cheap knock off made in China....definitely not a genuine Redline Weber"

Excusssssse me.....

I'm well aware that Redline does not manufacture Webers......and thought that was a given'

How's this...

Genuine Weber From Redline

Whatever.

Dude didn't like you saying that thing was definitely not a genuine Redline Weber..

• Like 1

Legally, that is  a Weber.  Due to some very weird licensing agreements Weber of Italy whored out their brand and logo to a US company that imports Chinese clones, slaps a sticker on them, and calls them Webers.  And it's all legal.

But they aren't the European-made Webers.  Weber itself stopped making carbs in 1992, when production was moved to Spain.  The production was farmed out to a 3rd party, but using the Weber-owned tooling.  But in 2004, that company went on strike, and all carb production stopped for a full year.  The production resumed with a different company in the same factory in late 2005, but the damage was done- for a full year no one, including Redline, could get true European carbs.  The other distributors went to Weber North America, who simply farmed out the production using their brand license to whatever company could make them quickly.  They were already using the Solex tooling (Solex now being owned by the same parent company as Weber) for the 34DGEC which was close (but not identical to) a 32/36, so they just reverse engineered the 32/36 and 38 and started making them in China.  Since the Chinese are very, very good at making knockoffs (with some severe quality control issues in some cases) once the tooling was there, the EMPI clones started showing up too, though they're at least branded as EMPI and not Webers.

It may work fine.  I have one of the original Interco carbs and haven't had any trouble with it.  It's probably one of the South American ones, though, being I've had it since around 2004. 

• Like 4

Well, my Interco "knock off" has about 150,000 miles on it.   I don't have that much time on a Spanish Weber to compare it to.

Generally, what "wears out" in any carb is the accelerator pump, the throttle shaft bores, and then the floats corrode and sink.  Or the gaskets fail.   That happens with any carb.  Webers (or clones) are a real simple carb vs the Hitachi.  No vacuum secondary, no weird check valves, etc.

• Like 1
  • The Genuine European Weber have the trademark "W" stamped into the carburetor and is clearly marked with its origin "Made in Spain"
  • The only markings on the NorthAmerican Webers is a sticker. There are no markings indicating where it is made or who made it.
  • The casting on the Chinese made carburetors is very smooth. While you might assume that is better because if it's appearance they are not made using the same metal resulting in the appearance.
  • The North American Weber carburetor models 32/36 DGV, 32/36 DGEV, and 38 DGES all have a black choke element - all of the Redline Webers coming from Europe have a White choke element.

Now Weber North America has taken it a step further (as of the Summer of 2011) and is now supplying the 32/36 DGV series and the 38 DGS series carburetors (not proud enough to say where they are made because it is China) and branding them as Weber's just as they did with the Solex Carb's from South America.

• Like 2