I have been super bad about keeping this up to date but here is an update. Since my last posting my fiancee and I bought a house with a lot more shop space which has meant I have spend a good chuck of time moving.

Any ways I have some big updates, the car finally runs and moves under its own power! I had fired it up once prior to this but it wouldn't idle and I didn't have the turbo on it at the time. The cause of it not idling was a misconfigured ecu parameter related to the idle control valve. Hearing the car finally running after all these years of work is the motivation I need to get this thing done. Also in the time since I last posted I have installed a Sparco seat, harness, and a roll bar. I ended up having to cut out the factory seat mounts to get the seat down low enough to work correctly. What I have left at this point is gauges, rebuilding my coilovers, exhaust, carbon canister for the fuel tank vent, remounting my fender flares up higher, tail light surround, and an alignment. Next year the plan will be to paint the car but I want to drive the car before I strip it back down for body work and paint. 

Video: https://imgur.com/c4K0LxH

jIcb7qF.jpg

2Lprifi.jpg

Edited by FlannelFairlady
  • Like 4
  • Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, FlannelFairlady said:

Thank you. The house actually came with 2 shops and a basement garage. Here is a pic of unfinished larger shop with a 620 in it for scale. 

1CD4GRz.jpg

I often daydream about having a space like that.

But then I realize I would just fill it so it's better that I don't!  : )

Great working getting the Z running again.

--carter

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

The space would be a lot better if it was finished before we bought it. To finish out the shop is going to cost around 30k due to needing 3120 sq ft of concrete, roll up doors, electrical, and plumbing. So for right now it's just going to be a big car port. Already started filling it with cars. Picked up a Datsun 710 shell with a cage to work on after my Celica is done. 

• Like 1
  • 2 months later...

Exhaust is done and it sounds sooooo good! I can't say I am happy with a lot of the welds but it was my first time welding stainless with my tig welder so I am alright with that. Since I decided to use 3.5" tubing from the turbo back I had to transition to oval tubing to get past the differential which seems to have worked pretty well. 

All that I have left to do before I can drive the car is to button up a few loose ends with things like the gas tank vent, remounting my rear flares, tidy up the wiring, get an alignment, reinstall my tail lights. 

Video: https://imgur.com/Q8SSiQl

BEc1Git.jpg

egaRb93.jpg

Edited by FlannelFairlady
  • Like 1