So since I didn't have thread up for this here I figured I better get one going since the car was getting some attention at Canby after all. Rather than play catch up with the build I will just start it at it's present state and go from there mostly because a I cant be bothered. For those people that attended Canby they will remember my car as the Z people were drawing on.

VZTMhq6l.jpg

vf0NPCDl.jpg

ZPjqlCdl.jpg

The car presently has the following:

T3 coils 200/250

Urethane bushings

Upgraded front and rear sway bars

xenon airdam

imsa spoiler

Parts I have but need to install:

240z bumpers

Soon to come:

wheels/tires

flares

camber plates or adjustable control arms

paint?

brakes

POWER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Like 3
  • Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 months later...

So time for a an update of sorts. So the in my ADD addled mind I decided the Rikens were too nice and too narrow for my plans. So I sold them and tossed on some cheap wheels from craigslist that were better suited as place holder wheels since it's my daily.

AgCla0Ol.jpg

Fw2EUiel.jpg

At this point I decided I was tired of the crappy stock straw filled seats that come in the Z so I went back to my favorite place... CL. I found a pair of BMW sport seats out of an e30. So I drove up and grabbed them and tetris'ed them along with the back seat that I had to take too into the Z and drove back to my place. Sold the back seat and made back most of my money. At this point with nothing more than some angle iron and flat stock I made a bracket to get the drivers seat in. I had to do a lot of tranny tunnel bashing.... it wasn't a hate crime I swear.

3BcWYYdl.jpg

gRnc0Ecl.jpg

RY8187Pl.jpg

Coming in the not so distant future, 15x10's, bamf flares, and new paint. Along with a rather interesting engine swap if I can find what I want. 

• 2 weeks later...

So a few things have changed, I have decided to come clean with my plan for the car. I originally was planning for a Zero theme with the car but since that has been done to death with the thing I decided to find different avenues. The short version is think human piloted guided missile from WW2 called the Ohka which was a rocket/jet powered plane that had a 2000kg bomb built into the nose and was used to ram into ships. Only a few were used but the idea still applies here. 

tZj2ZwXl.jpg

Now for some car progress, I finally got the car out of primer. It's now Khaki thanks to a lot of spray paint and an afternoon of my time. 

3uuYdrTl.jpg

Ogx3juBl.jpg

fG1USnrl.jpg

KA7pa45l.jpg

• Like 1

So a few things have changed, I have decided to come clean with my plan for the car. I originally was planning for a Zero theme with the car but since that has been done to death with the thing I decided to find different avenues. The short version is think human piloted guided missile from WW2 called the Ohka which was a rocket/jet powered plane that had a 2000kg bomb built into the nose and was used to ram into ships. Only a few were used but the idea still applies here. 

tZj2ZwXl.jpg

Now that's the "Okah" I was thinking about!  Also called the "Bakka Bomb".  Dropped from a Mitsubishi Betty bomber.

Only a few were used but the idea still applies here

So you're going to model your car after something that's meant so smash into other people, blow up, and kill the driver pilot? :confused: That sounds safe.

On a positive note, I really like the khaki. You don't see that too often on Zs. Why didn't you paint the hood?

Now that's the "Okah" I was thinking about!  Also called the "Bakka Bomb".  Dropped from a Mitsubishi Betty bomber.

Baka was just the name the US gave the thing but I am going to add that into the thing somewhere.

So you're going to model your car after something that's meant so smash into other people, blow up, and kill the driver pilot? :confused: That sounds safe.

On a positive note, I really like the khaki. You don't see that too often on Zs. Why didn't you paint the hood?

Yup that's my plan, Hey older cars are death traps anyways right? So in a way it's kind of fitting. I have a bit of a morbid sense of humor in that sense. 

Yeah thanks, that was part of why I picked the color. The hood had already been rusted so I decided to keep in the for the time being as it's in poo shape with dents and rust through that was under the paint when I took it off. 

another Z Build! :thumbup:  love the professionally spraypainted look, that color fits too nicely, gonna make the spoiler silver to match? 

whats done under the hood? still fuel injection? or any plans?

Haha I don't know if I would use the phrase professional when talking about it but it's okay. Actually if you look at the model the parts such as the wings are a beige color that have been dirtied up. That's the route I am going with those. I am also working on a stencil for the cherry blossom. Right now it's stock under the hood but the plan since the later variants were powered by BMW 003 Jet engine from a few prototype German aircraft. I'm thinking a BMW power plant is in order, probably an s52 or the like. 

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...

So small update, I finally managed to get on my 240 front bumper which really ties together my front end. I still need to sort out a grill, I'm thinking perforated steel or something along those lines. On Wednesday or Thursday I am getting a staggered set of basset racing wheels. 15x10 and 15x11. I am still deciding on rubber. I kind of want to go beefy since you never see beefy rubber on Z's and I am not a fan of stretched tires. I'm thinking 265/50r15 in front and 295/50r50 in rear or maybe a little stretch and just go 225/50r15 and 265/50r15.

5lrdf3Al.jpg

sHlumjTl.jpg

Update time! So I picked up my new wheels and I am very happy with my purchase though finding rubber that doesn't look super stretched may be a little on the hard side. I had the rear rubber pulled off so I could sell it as 235/50r15 Toyo R888's are useless in the rain so I have no reason to keep it. 

cNPOVenl.jpg

yZgzbTRl.jpg

LciFuvSl.jpg

KRzQfGYl.jpg

So as far as rubber goes. I am going to go with some that fits better I am not a fan of the overly stretched look I am thinking either a 265/50r15 in back and not sure in front. I may go with a 60 wall as their is more choices and I am trying to keep the car drive-able. More to come soon enough!

• 4 weeks later...

The Fedex guy delivered some goodies to me at work, a pair of Hankook 265/50r15's for my 15x11's. They are going to work perfectly in the rear with fender flares. 

yfbH98cl.jpg

ZdeIegdl.jpg

I then headed over to my friends place to test fit them and do other stuff. Long story short I ended up at Chucky Cheeses. I am definately going to have to cut the quarters to fit the rubber since the lip is resting on the tire, would not make for a good driving experience. I test fitted the fender flares at the same time, the will work at least the rears wheel. I need to decide on front rubber now. I'm thinking 225 60's.

7HGxREql.jpg

GqE1oeul.jpg

pqNbOHBl.jpg

eGBgr38l.jpg

• Like 4
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

So time for an update..... I traded the steelies and managed to get fucked on the trade with a local Datsun guy. I was supposed to get 16x8's with new 225 50 rubber on them for my wheels and ended up with 16x7s and the guy wont return my messages. The nerve of some people. The weren't even the brand they were supposed to be and I didn't find this out till after the fact.Well anyways these are the wheels I am stuck with for the time being.

8LEbAb6l.jpg

• Like 1