The Dime Finally Realized

4perrev

Ok, as promised, here's the inside of the engine:

wV2ll7k.jpg

Looks like a new head gasket so somebody took care of the old gal. Pistons have very little carbon on them. It all could be wiped off with a bit of solution and a rag.

The cam chain and sprockets look brand new, along with the cam guides:

8NJpUwz.jpg

The head was super clean all the way round. It is a W53 head with the smog inserts. Hoping to get lucky and find a peanut head, but it's just the old round chambers. This one's not cracked though!

VXZsum6.jpg

The cam and journals were nice a shinny with no rust on em'.

9QXRIYo.jpg

The water pump looks to be maybe a year old and all the passages were beautiful and calcium free. Every screw or bolt came out free without a hint of breakage. All in all, looks to be a great motor to build up. Now just have to decide which head to put on her. A87, U67 or the W53 with the smog liners ground out. I have to do some research in the engine section to see who has the biggest valves!

Edited by 4perrev
  • Replies 271
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So after a long awaited time, I finally picked up my main hoop for the roller today. This is just the beginning as I still have to order the seats in order to place the hoop where it needs to go. Once they show up, I can set the right position and mock up the rest of the cage. Here is what I used to get the measurements for the shop to bend up the hoop. Keep in mind, I have not fit this in the car yet, so the two 10 degree angles may be a little off. Once I get sometime to get in there (weekend) I will give more details. Anyways, here's the chart:

giospgR.jpg

And the main hoop:

WGgyg1U.jpg

Edited by 4perrev

Got down and did some interior work today. Thought I might see how the dash looks:

Gki5saY.jpg

So with this mounted, I saw the pedal box that was rusted and ugly as sin:

G83YSZb.jpg

Put it in to mock up the pedals and see how they fit:

j22xHWM.jpg

Not too bad, but that pedal box needed some serious attention and she went into the blaster for a new look:

yWT27nZ.jpg

After it was all blown off, it got a new coat of paint to pretty things up:

z5fKLcP.jpg

Still coming along slowly!!

Edited by 4perrev
  • Like 3

Got the old dash cleaned up and painted. Probably won't see very much of this once the pad and everything on it, but it's rust free now!

NREIepX.jpg

Took this picture of the ram on the back of the big Dodge. Funny thing is, everything else was a reflection off the window. Weird and cool all in the same.

6rz9G4m.jpg

Edited by 4perrev
  • Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...

My little girl saw the sun yesterday. had a chance to pull her out and do some work on the roof. There was a big bondo patch up there and got me curious as to why it was so big. How many licks does it take to get to the center of a bondo patch? Well, quite a few in this case.

xa2kw8E.jpg

This is why she came out of the garage, because sanding bondo in a closed space powders everything. Anyway, here's the aftermath and all the front windshield lips are back to original without the pitted rust spots.

ePpH6qu.jpg

Turning to the rear window, it got worse. I guess she had been sitting outside for a good period of time (as most of these girls do). This one was a little more tricky as it was in the corner and really rusted out. So, I cut out a new lip and got it welded in. The hard part was trying to keep the original window lines without blowing through what I just replaced. The sanding wheel was to big, so I used a cutoff wheel that was already worn down and fit the curve perfectly. Nice and slow until the shape to form. Starting with:

IMG_1017_zpsbdavjxyg.jpg

Ending with:

IMG_1018_zpsqsq9jqn2.jpg

And this kids, is why we don't put fiberglass in daddy's car!

NeIkO0x.jpg

If you remember, I sanded out the front floors to replace them with pans. Well, I looked at the rear and thought that I might just leave it since nobody will ever sit back there (might not even put in a rear seat). There was an end sticking up and with a little tug, the whole floor came up. I guess the fiberglass was laid over rust because the floor is in bad shape.

IMG_1024_zpszmt1tnj7.jpg

Lastly, I leave you guys with this picture. Here is the test fit of the main hoop. 

lJvZZ7U.jpg

Seats are on order and should show up next week. Then I can get down and fab the whole cage!!

Edited by 4perrev
  • Like 1

I tried to find 510 race cars, but this one eluded me. I used the z-car as an idea. Thanks for the pictures though. It gives a much better idea of the whole car!!

I tried to find 510 race cars, but this one eluded me. I used the z-car as an idea. 

That scheme was used on all the Bob Sharp race cars of the era, including the 280Z and also a 610 and a B210.   :thumbup:

The 510 I posted photos of was driven by Paul Newman, and were I to do that livery I'd have to put that name on it..   ^_^

Thanks for the info (history). It would almost seem to have to wear the Newman name as a tribute car. Will keep all in mind when finalizing the paint scheme. Can always count on a Ratsun member for good advice!

• Like 1

Well the Sandy-man showed up today with presents. My seats finally arrived. The brackets fit like a "T" in the original holes, but didn't come with mounting bolts. So I'll be off to Home depot for some hardware. Here's the goods:

Brackets with double locking sliders:

1J8GpBU.jpg

a4nDkq3.jpg

These are Corbeau CR1's with 3-inch five-points:

dhLwGyc.jpg

yl1V59x.jpg

Now I can get down to finishing the back half roller/cage. Measured up and need to get some pipe!!

Edited by 4perrev
  • Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Big Saturday worth of work. Got down and finally replacing the rear floors. Went back to the parts car and pulled out a good floor. Surprising how bad that parts car looks, all the floors were good! I guess it all works out in the end. Here's the stuff:

821a812d-e350-4101-90be-fb93f6749765_zps

ad0b717c-3079-4597-9981-b9ed6ba52e4a_zps

Now it's on to the good stuff. I bought a notch cutter from Harbor Freight for $40 bucks (I think).It wasn't too bad, although the cut was off by a bit. Just had to make a shim under the holder and she went pretty straight after that. (Thanks to the guy on Youtube who made a video of the fix)! Never did any notching, so the measuring was a little weird in the beginning, but made it through all the cuts so far. First off was to weld plates to give the rear truck wall some support:

klx25k1.jpg

I also put down some plate steel on the floor where the main hoop sits to give more support. It's mostly done and all I have left is the side bars and the harness bar. Completely forgot to measure when I test fitted the seats, so I guess I gotta put one back in to get the right height. Not too hard though. Must say, this route (even with the notch cutter) it turned out to be under $400 bucks. The Autopiler bar was 600 something without shipping and I installed an X-bar to the rear shock towers also. Here's the goods so far:

TCIFPFR.jpg

Edited by 4perrev
  • 2 weeks later...

Eric, thanks for the good words! Need more time, dam-it!! Here's an update to the roll bar fabrication. Just one more bar left.

IMG_1038_zpsy9ljxlve.jpg

Cut out the spare tire holder because the bottom was rusted out and didn't really want to go through all that patching. So, I cut it out and went with a flat blank off plate to cover it. Will give pics when I snap one of the completed patch.

• 2 weeks later...

Got into the old Photoshop again and came up with a new design for the dime. I know I've had a couple draw up, but I think this one might be the right one. It's different and completely brand new. Trying to go with a rally theme. Comments / critiques?? 

upaEeRf.jpg

Edited by 4perrev

Got into the old Photoshop again and came up with a new design for the dime. I know I've had a couple draw up, but I think this one might be the right one. It's different and completely brand new. Trying to go with a rally theme. Comments / critiques?? 

510_zpsovay6fnl.jpg

YES!! Thats a good one. I like that radius from white to black

510_zpsovay6fnl.jpg

I see three different vertical angles of strips, not sure that would look good to the eye when the car is in motion