78 Sr20det 620 Salvage title to boosted!

5t341tH

Cool truck.  I find Rock Auto a pain , they never have pictures or measurements and some parts come through wrong and their customer service is basically.. nil. If you try to point out to them their catalogue has an error they treat you like you are an idiot.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Alright, so I took apart the turn signal switch again and cleaned out the copper some more. It seemed to fix the highbeam issue. Only thing is when activating the stalk for high beam, I have to be gentle.

Everything is working great. I received a 32/36 webber from Kirden and will install it once I pass smog check.

OICS!

20140702_202127.jpg

20140702_201714_2.jpg

20140702_201602.jpg

20140702_201548.jpg

20140702_201524.jpg

20140702_201503.jpg

20140702_172258.jpg

20140702_172243.jpg

20140702_172235.jpg

Nice truck, you might want to get those highbeams working better before the inspection, they wont like that you have to be "gentle" for them to work, if they are intermittant at all they probably won't pass, good luck

• 1 month later...

Hey again all. I finally passed the Brake and Lamp inspection. Now smog time. I passed the sniffer stuff but the visual still has issues.

1. Missing timing indicator mark. (bought new one from dealer and installed. Only has one bolt available to bolt onto engine because other one is snapped inside the block)

2. Missing this hose

hotairduct.jpg

What does it do, and where does it connect to? Mine does not have that hose, nor a place where that hose would fit into. They say that I need this part still to pass smog.

Here's a recent oic just for fun

20140810_140757.jpg

On the bottom of the air intake should be a little down pipe thingie like so

IMAG0489.jpg

Which connects to a little up pipe thingie almost directly below it that looks like this but hopefully less rusted

IMAG0490.jpg

Which sits in this location on the stock headers

IMAG0491.jpg

Which is directly below the carburetor. You can see a corner of mine in the last picture

• Like 1

the manifold cover is not on my '73 bit is on my '75. This is just an heat shield and I suspect it was installed on the '75 because the intake and exhaust manifolds are connected, consequently much closer to each other.

I'm guessing you're talking about the doodads that my finger appears to be going behind due to perspective with the wire coming off the end of it. I could be wrong but I think that it's connected to my dizzy (i would have to look when I arrived home seeing as how I'm at work) and I honestly don't know what it would do otherwise. You would have to ask a more knowledgeable member. I only knew about the hose because I questioned why mine was missing when I got the truck

Hey you see that solenoid connected on the intake manifold where the two vacuum hoses join? Is that important to keep even when you rip out the emission system? Thx for the answer

according to the '73 MT Datsun 620 wiring diagram, the wire connecting that solenoid is yellow-redand is labeled idle cut solenoid. Which i thought was normally connected on the carb itself. In the case of a weber carb and de-smog engine, Im guessing its not needed anymore. Thats why Im asking

When I get mine running again I'll try this but I don't know when that'll happen. Gotta put a bike back together and get a house before I really want to tear into the little lady.

according to the '73 MT Datsun 620 wiring diagram, the wire connecting that solenoid is yellow-redand is labeled idle cut solenoid. Which i thought was normally connected on the carb itself. In the case of a weber carb and de-smog engine, Im guessing its not needed anymore. Thats why Im asking

• 2 weeks later...

Update! Thanks to hobospyder for hooking me up on that exhaust cover. I passed smog and all is well. Went to DMV for a vehicle inspection and failed because they couldn't find a VIN plate on the dash....They referred me to California Highway Patrol which referred me back to DMV since they no longer do those inspections. Total waste of time.

Anyway, I checked in the service manual and it only shows 2 locations for the VIN. At the door jam and on the left side of the engine bay. Is that correct? I need to slap that lady that failed me...

• Like 1

The DMV Lady is wrong.  My 70,71, &72 521s did not have a dash vin plate and neither did the 620s as far as I know.  Show the lady the owners manual.

There is a third number on top of the frame on the passenger side in front of the control arm mount.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hey all. I started doing my weber 32/36 swap and got a few questions.

Can I hook up the fuel feed using the original hardline? I notice it also has a hard line going back to the fuel return line.

f5066758-6820-4d9b-9ffb-dabd67432d89.jpg

Also can i use this hose as the vacuum advance?

7bcf2050-0775-4abe-a114-0f2c21127754.jpg

Is this fine for the throttle cable? There is a slight angle but that was the best I could do

20141026_152400.jpg

What do I do with this? Cap it off or remove it completely? I do see other vacuum hoses attaching to it

b9234bd8-bdf9-43ec-8913-1093f5e9c362.jpg

What do I do with this remaining hoses?

e3194ee2-dad7-4f37-8177-cb8d768b4d9d.jpg