1972 510, Orange Turd

New to Ratsun and Datsuns so forgive me if my build goes slow or i do not include enough pics.  Recently became the proud owner of a 1972 510 2 door!! got a rust free, straight and accident free body :)  the rest is pure Datsun, nothing works LOL.  Mods currently on the car are 2" drop on Eibach springs, 14" Z wheels, L20B swapped with Hooker header and weber 32/36 and Dogleg 5 Speed, Gm internal regulated alternator.  Shaved door handles with remote autolock.  88' Mazda 626 seats and a wink mirror and street beats sliding ragtop.

The Bad:

Motor had a dead cylinder and needs to be pulled and rebuild.

Brakes are spongy, guessing just need a bleed and will go from there.

Wiring harness is fried, that will need to be repaired or replaced..

10374914_673043516083929_478439424334280

• Replies 293
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

take photos of wire harness most can be fixd dont be ripping the stuff out yet.Dont get why the last owner didnt fix this

Since its not running hope you didnt pay to much but its a straight car

not ripping anything apart just yet.  Harness looks great in engine bay, apparently it got toasted under the dash!  car is super clean body and rust wise that was the main reason for buying, motor at least runs just needs to be rebuilt.  BustaNut lives down the street from me and is going to help me pull and rebuild the motor when he gets back from Canby :) after that i think just freshen the brakes, do exhaust and begin fixing the harness.  The goal is eventually upgrade suspension and brakes and possibly motor but $$$$ is fucking tight!!!  more pics to come.......

• Like 2

You should come to Canby, too. You'll return to your Dime with a zeal to jump in and get her finished that you wouldn't have otherwise.

i would fucking love to roll up there with SkyBlue, Bustanut and Bababooy but i am going to be in BC Canada during the trip and wont be back until 6/16 :(  i will be ready to get my hands dirty when i do though and finally get this car driving!!!!!!!!!!!!

Heres the add i found the car on, thoughts?

http://datsun510search.com/details/35177/72-datsun-510-2dr-sliding-rag-top-**price-reduced-must-sell-**.html

What does dead cylinder mean?  Block related or head related?  Or do you not know yet?

Bustanut said it sounded like 1 or 2 of the cylinders were not firing.. Don't really know yet, when he gets back from Canby he is going to help me figure it out.

What does dead cylinder mean?  Block related or head related?  Or do you not know yet?

We call it a "dead hole" or "dead cylinder"........

.....................it's when the chamber is creating ZERO compression........

........in a sense......the piston is just flopping around.........different feeling than if you had compression but no spark/fuel

Most common is a bent valve or a dropped seat.......

Considering you mentioned this all happened after he did his own rebuild.........leads me to think he missed the timing or set the head down on a valve before installing it.....

Either way........rip apart engine.......the truth shall be revealed!!

• Like 1

We call it a "dead hole" or "dead cylinder"........

.....................it's when the chamber is creating ZERO compression........

........in a sense......the piston is just flopping around.........different feeling than if you had compression but no spark/fuel

Most common is a bent valve or a dropped seat.......

Considering you mentioned this all happened after he did his own rebuild.........leads me to think he missed the timing or set the head down on a valve before installing it.....

Either way........rip apart engine.......the truth shall be revealed!!

dude I can't wait, dying to know exactly what's going on in there and more importantly fixing it :) then getting to drive the shit out of it this summer!!!
  • Like 1

cyinder not firing or more like a lash pad fell off or the rocker arm off. But the privois owner must be a Moron if he cound figure this out.

If engine harness good just replace the harness sections from under the glove box to the dash from same year rig.

I have a spare wiring harness out of a 69' 510, can that be used to replace the under dash harness or does it need to be the same year?

Still getting the hang of photobucket, want to be a pro by the time I start tearing shit apart posting pics!

1FA299A6-AFA7-4BAA-8949-850451E84B60_zps

I almost bought this car but didn't have a trailer. Glad you picked it up. Congrats homie.

• Like 2

I almost bought this car but didn't have a trailer. Glad you picked it up. Congrats homie.

thanks man, nice to hear.  Its got me a little stressed right now though, got to pull the motor soon and figure out where and wiring harness failed!! does not even really fell like my car yet, havn't been able to get my hands to dirty with it just yet and still have not driven it except in the parking lot...

• Like 1

why you say it needs a rebuild motor?

I'm not really sure what is wrong with it yet, we're going to dig into it after canby and figure out what the issue is and go from there.. Car is just sitting until then :(

small things being purchased slowly until i get back from Canada and have a chance to pull the motor.  Once i dig into it i will have a better idea of where my money will be going... moar low, moar stop, moar power??? trying to buttom up the small things in the meantime.  got new hood latch, air filter and door and truck seals.  Got to remove the ugly aluminum panels and go with a new set from T3.   :thumbup:

datsun-510-hood-cable-510it20_zps45feb47

doorweatherseals_zpsf3cb6361.jpg

• Like 2