Fat510's 1980 720 super deluxe

Fat510

hey guys i got this truck about a year ago and decided to fix it up

donovans720008_zps806c5e5d.jpg

donovans720007_zpsa70711f3.jpg

donovans720008_zps806c5e5d.jpg

donovans720006_zps4a489702.jpg

donovans720010_zps97956f85.jpg

cames 2 boxes of spare parts, mostly interior parts because the previous guy was in the process of "swapping" the interior from tan to black.

ONION017_zpsc69b0d78.jpg

EndofSchoolYear2013002_zpse76428b4.jpg

• Like 3
  • Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

moar oics

TrackFBallMisc006_zpsab3e843b.jpg

TrackFBallMisc004_zps21ce82a5.jpg

ONION023_zps38976b2e.jpg

ONION020_zps33a87de2.jpg

Oh by the way...210 head swap! me and my dad thought it was a stuck valve. pulled the cover off and one of the rocker arms slipped out of the lash pads and was slapping the valve string retainer...put the head found that the valve seat dropped out

ONION019_zps07181445.jpg

ONION014_zpsa22a6d62.jpg

ONION013_zps64e7bb88.jpg

ONION010_zpsceb86284.jpg

ONION023_zps38976b2e.jpg

• Like 2

Oh by the way...210 head swap! me and my dad thought it was a stuck valve. pulled the cover off and one of the rocker arms slipped out of the lash pads and was slapping the valve string retainer...put the head found that the valve seat dropped out

Are you saying that you are swapping a 210 head from an L16 onto this motor??? The 210 is pretty well the smallest valve, port and combustion chamber head out there. Installed on an L20B the compression will be a pinging 9.3

Back in the early '80 I had an L20B in my 521 that had a warped head. I threw a 210 head on it from a 510 so I could drive it even though the Nissan dealer said it wouldn't fit. I drove it down and showed them and the mechanic came out to look at it running. Now this is late '70 early '80's Canadian regular gas. Probably way better than today's crap. I noticed zero difference in running but never adjusted anything, just drove it a couple of days until I got my head back. I think you will find it will ping.

• Like 1

Are you saying that you are swapping a 210 head from an L16 onto this motor??? The 210 is pretty well the smallest valve, port and combustion chamber head out there. Installed on an L20B the compression will be a pinging 9.3

whoa, slow your role homie. this isnt the realm.  :lol:

but yeah...it was free and it worked correctly, and was the only one we had. it actually runs really good for having wavy cylinder walls from water being in there. but its got a L20 u20 cam in it.

im saving the good heads for the  2 other L20s im building with money in them :)

• Like 1

It may ping but it will make up for it by smoking,,, lol

When we popped the OG head off there was extreeeeeme pitting from someone letting water sit in cylinder,,, so we figure rings probably won't last till the next scheduled oil change. And it is more a test sample engine as every system in truck  was non working. Sooooo if it dumps we are prepared to throw in a great running 1600 we have sitting,, and then one of the other engines mentioned above.

• Like 2

I forgot where i put these when he started thhis thread the other night,, sooo here they are.

I could say he welded this up,, but that shit just wouldn't be true. FAT goes to college so his shop time during the day can be somewhat limited at times.

Anyways

donovans720001.jpg

donovans720002.jpg

donovans720003.jpg

donovans720004.jpg

donovans720005.jpg

donovans720007.jpg

donovans720008.jpg

donovans720017.jpg

donovans720018.jpg

Battery is going in the back.

• Like 6

Since my dick for a nose son won't update HIS truck build even though i loaded the pictures into photobucket before we drove his twin brothers a shit ton of miles to the neurologist ..   I'll do it.

Kid we bought it from had bought these super bad ass brand new ,, never used taillights. :thumbup:

donovans720002-2.jpg

donovans720001-2.jpg

The passenger side tail light mounting spot had rusted off,,,  so cut them outta rusty fender and SHAA_BOOM!!

donovans720003-2.jpg

donovans720004-2.jpg

donovans720010-2.jpg

donovans720005-2.jpg

The real  frustrating to the point of contemplating lighting it on fire,, has been the head light and turn signals not working correctly at all..  There are jumpers and disconnected weirdness because of dash replacement ,,, but after jumper wiring everything in the cab and under the hood .. Truck had sat since 2001 so corrosion was not in our favor either.

We now have High beams low beams,  turn signals on all 4 corners that turn on when you turn them on and off when you turn them off.. FINALLY.

donovans720006-2.jpg

donovans720008-2.jpg

anyways there you go.

• Like 3

Thanks man,, we were shooting for Canby but something unavoidable with one of my other sons came up,,  so budget restraints have us coasting a little since the gas and all, for an extra vehicle plus insurance and camping is just a bit too much this time out ,,,,,,  but it will be done for Blue lake in August for sure.

And it should have a camper so Fat can't bitch all day that there was not enough shade,,,,,,, like he did last time. :sneaky:

• Like 1

That's too bad ,, we are going it's just we can't afford this one going as well.  And the driver we had lined up might get to spend a week at Georgetown university on a American Indian youth interested in the medical field summer program,, at almost the exact same time so we couldn't count on him being there anyways.

But you will be missed brosef ..

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

some progress happened

i got my rims back :) a machine shop drilled new holes because the guy i bought them from left the lug nuts loose to where they look like ovals

WeedWacker001_zps4921276b.jpg

WeedWacker002_zpscdf76c77.jpg

WeedWacker004_zpsf16b33bb.jpg

WeedWacker005_zps348c0288.jpg

• Like 2

Very nice you obviously had more floor left than me im looking for a sheet metal fabricstor to make me some new ones to weld in.... evidently not enough metal left to safely just try to patch... unless someone knows somewhere to get drop in pans... or ones that will match up