510 rear disc brake conversion brackets

Custom made caliper mounting brackets for converting your 510's rear drum brakes to disc using readily available Nissan OEM components.

Keep your parking brake function too!

This is the most affordable way to better brakes.

More info here:

http://www.datsuns.com/510/brakes/510brackets.htm

Email me at : engineered.datsun@gmail.com for pricing and info.

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

280zx calipers have a big-ass e-brake mechanism off the back of them that I thought would interfere with 510 shock. So I never really looked into it. Also it looks like the way the e-brake cable attaches, it would interfere with the body of the 510, and maybe the half shaft.

The maxima and 200sx calipers are essentially the same thing as a 280zx caliper, the only difference being the slider brackets, and the way the e-brake cables attach.

280zx calipers have a big-ass e-brake mechanism...

So I never really looked into it.

i have one and havent looked to close at it.

i just grabed it along with the tunnel mount handle.

if you(anyone) want to look closer at it, your welcome to it

I've seen lots of people talk about the swap and have seen it done in pictures. I have 2 sets of rear callipers (1 early and 1 late zx) and the only reason I haven't put them in yet is because I don't have the brackets.

I've seen lots of people talk about the swap and have seen it done in pictures. I have 2 sets of rear callipers (1 early and 1 late zx) and the only reason I haven't put them in yet is because I don't have the brackets.

Theres a guy in cali that makes the brackets but he charges more and won't make them till he gets atleast three sets ordered I think.

Hey Aaron, I bought a set of your brackets a whiiiile back. After powder coating them and the rear arms they were too tight to fit over the bearing carrier. Sure, the powdercoating may have gotten on a bit too thick, but something to maybe think about...perhaps widen the opening a wee bit more?

i did the 280zx and had to redo the ebrake they are to big one side actully cut in to the wheel well its just the mount for the cable that cut in but yea its a pain get his braket and save your self time and money and trouble if i were to do it again it would be the route i would go

Hey Aaron, I bought a set of your brackets a whiiiile back. After powder coating them and the rear arms they were too tight to fit over the bearing carrier. Sure, the powdercoating may have gotten on a bit too thick, but something to maybe think about...perhaps widen the opening a wee bit more?

Note taken, I will address that with the next batch.

thanks!

i did the 280zx and had to redo the ebrake. they are to big one side actually cut into the wheel well. its just the mount for the cable that cut in, but yea its a pain get his braket. save your self time and money and trouble if i were to do it again it would be the route i would go

^I added some periods and commas to make it easier to read^

Thats what I was thinking. Thanks for providing some real world feedback. The e-brake arms on the Maxima calipers do not interfere with the wheel well, even with the e-brake cables installed. Maxima calipers are easy to find, I walk by at least one set every time i go the wrecking yard, probably easier to find than 280zx rear calipers, since Z-car guys like to use them on rear of the older drum-brake z-cars, which have different wheel wells, so e-brake arms fit much better than on a 510.

.... save your self time and money and trouble if i were to do it again it would be the route i would go

Did you mean "wouldn't" instead of "would" ?

i did the 280zx and had to redo the ebrake they are to big one side actully cut in to the wheel well its just the mount for the cable that cut in but yea its a pain get his braket and save your self time and money and trouble if i were to do it again it would be the route i would go

In one of the Dime quarterly back issues, Dean Sherman installed the 280zx rear brakes on his 510. IIRC, he had to swap the calipers from left to right to get the ebrake assembly to clear everything.

I found the article. Here is a link.

http://dimequarterly.tierranet.com/articles/tech_280ZX_brakes.html

I bought a set of these caliper mounts from Dean a few years ago but I have not installed them yet.

or you can just read this, same thing as link ::::::

280ZX BRAKES STOP YOUR 510 ON A DIME

Four-wheel disk brake swap

Article, photographs and drawings by Dean Sherman and Kelvin Dietz

The purpose of this article is to give you a clear understanding of how to install disc brakes from a Datsun 280ZX onto a Datsun 510 for better overall braking. Many enthusiasts want more horsepower under the hood without considering how to stop all that horsepower. The best advice from most long-time 510 enthusiasts is to make the car stop as well as it goes. Doing it the other way around is dangerous and often leads to one more 510 headed for the crusher.

As with all modifications, patience is the major factor in making this conversion work. If you have it, you too can have a four-wheel-disc 510 with more braking power than you'll ever need. This system was designed for a much heavier car so you'll undoubtedly be pleased with your 510's stopping power. The ZX rotors are 10 inches in diameter whereas the 510 rotors are 9 inches. The ZX rotors are also ventilated for better cooling and the calipers and pads are much larger than their 510 counterparts.

The parts you'll need are found on the '79-'83 280ZX. There were some differences between the early and later calipers. The mounting holes on the ‘79-‘81 calipers have a different separation than the 82-’83. If the ‘79-81 calipers are used, a slightly different mounting bracket than the one detailed here must be fabricated. All of the components I used for this conversion were from a fuel-injected, two-seat ‘83 ZX.

You will also need a short length of steel tubing, access to a welder, a portable grinder, hacksaw, bench vise, and a drill press.

Get everything from the donor car that relates to the brakes: complete front struts, rotors, calipers, brake lines, (buy new flexible brake hoses), handbrake cables, handbrake assembly with cable from inside car, caliper mounting bolts, water shield, brake pads (buy new pads) and all the little bolts and clips. Get the master cylinder, the push rod, and the proportioning valve, too. This complete braking system, from the master cylinder to the four-wheel discs, is now on my 510. I didn’t use the brake booster in this conversion.

Mounting Rear Calipers

You will need to fabricate a bracket to mount the calipers to the existing backing-plate mounting holes. There may be some adjustment needed to the brackets to get the calipers centered over the rotors. I finally chose a 3/16” spacer in the bracket between the axle housing and the caliper just to get the right alignment. (See Photo 1 and Figure 1)

The calipers have to be swapped right to left to allow the parking brake bracket to clear the body above it. The calipers were simply swapped, not inverted. The parking brake mechanism and "fork" are still on the top.

Get the car up on jack stands front and rear, as high as you can. Remove the wheels, shocks, springs, parking brake cables, and halfshafts from the swing arms. Remove the swing arms, place them in bench vise, then remove the large nut from stub axle, taking care not to damage the threads. You'll need to buy new nuts (Part #08911-24010.) The old nuts are flattened on one side to keep them from backing off. Drive the stub axle out with a soft drift and remove the backing plates. (Removing the backing plate could be accomplished with an oxy/acetylene torch or a plasma cutter, if you have access to either, without removing all of the other parts.)

This is just a small sample of what The Dime, Quarterly newsletter offers. If you'd like to see more, order this backissue or better yet, subscribe.

http://dimequarterly.tierranet.com/subscribe.shtml

• 4 months later...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.