Mattndew76 - 1200

Mattndew76

• Replies 529
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

They look great but you are missing the plastic baffle that sits flat below the cowl grille. 

Maybe meaningless, but on the USDM cars these were stamped sheetmetal. Bet you could get some water-jet cut easily. 

And possibly more relevant to Matt, I replaced my metal baffle plates with the 90s-style JDM vent covers, so if you want my metal plates they're yours. 

This is the company that sells these great fender pops. https://www.mtmfg.com/

MK-1's is what I got. I looked at the MK-2 Golf next to a MK-1 and the 1 had a slightly wider flare extrusion. I am going to add on to these too. Might not be wide enough for a 10" wide wheel. I will decide once the wheels get here. 

• Like 1

Maybe meaningless, but on the USDM cars these were stamped sheetmetal. Bet you could get some water-jet cut easily. 

And possibly more relevant to Matt, I replaced my metal baffle plates with the 90s-style JDM vent covers, so if you want my metal plates they're yours.

Already have the baffle drawn up in CAD for anyone that wants it.

• Like 1

MK-1's is what I got. I looked at the MK-2 Golf next to a MK-1 and the 1 had a slightly wider flare extrusion. I am going to add on to these too. Might not be wide enough for a 10" wide wheel.

I want to say with my flares I measured and I could go up to 8.5" in the front and 9" in the rear. The other 1200 at the shop has steel flares about this same size (Dodge Omni) and could easily go 9s all around. 

You just running 10s in the back or all around? 

• 1 month later...

So I bought a can of  paint stripper to test out. 

For a $6.00 can it seemed to be a good buy.

IMG_4259.jpg

Applied a even coat and covered the area with some shrink wrap. Stuck it right to the gel so it wouldn't dry out so fast.

After two applications I ended up with.

IMG_4260.jpg

and 

IMG_4266.jpg

While the remover was doing its job I removed the boot lid and got a better look at my rust issues.

IMG_4267.jpg

Not exactly what I wanted to work with but I have already bought the car lol. Lots of cutting and sheet metal work in my future. 

• Like 1

I am loving all the goodies you have rolling out. Nice work hope you can keep the prices within the ratsun budget and still make a profit to cover all the time your putting into the little gems. I am on board for a few of your parts.

Are the pulleys going to work with stock fan? Is the air box going to be a lid or a complete cover like the stock?

Yum yum yum.

The Air box will be a base-filter-cover leaving the element open for non turbo application, but I will make a pressure box for a turbo setup. 

For the pulley setup it will incorporate a stock fan. 

I am trying to keep everything within affordability. I think single unit orders on anything I am losing my ass on. So I have to adjust accordingly, but if things are purchased in large batch orders of 8-10+ I can offer cost rates VS retail. Saves everyone $$ and I can actually turn a profit.

On my Sedan, I found a bunch of pinholes under the seam sealer, where the firewall meets the floor pan.

I found much of the same. All the seams have rust built up under the rubber sealer. 

I will be taking the metal out all the way to the outer frame rails. PO did some really bad patch work on this car. Hope I can give this a legit shot at repair. 

Time to unpack the bead roller.

• Like 1