Whats the "Origin of Ratsun"

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

but I can't help it! Here in the East Bay, Ca, we have a motorcycle gang known as the "Easy Bay Rats" which are a bunch of guys that basically take a street bike and paint it black, not worrying about asthetics and such which hang out as a club does, unlike yourselves, in hopes of creating a community with similar interests and helping others. So when I here "Ratsun," I think about a group of hard working individuals that share a common interest.

Plus, a "Ratrod," which is a collectible car pimped out in other ways than asthetics, unlike a "Hotrod," becomes a "Rat Rod." Shit, did that even make any sence?

C.

Ratsun can mean many things, but it's just good fun to me.

On the other hand, I gotta go with the Japanese pronunciation. When Nissan Motor Corporation changed the name of their operations/dealerships from Datsun to Nissan, (circa 1983, if I recall) they had an ad campaign that proclaimed "The Name is Nissan", wherein the word Nissan was pronounced emphatically as "KneeSohn". This is in keeping with my experience where the "Dat" did not rhyme with "Cat", but was stated as "Dotsun". That's how the old-school dealership and factory guys always said it.

So, for me, Datsun doesn't rhyme with Ratsun, but it means a cool brand of car that deserves preservation...

• 2 months later...
Well, here..... you can see it this way too. lol

http://www.xtranormal.com/watch?e=20090925150649292

Not as cool though. :D

That funny, I went to see if the movie one was ready and all I get is > An error occurred, please try again later.

I guess I'll go and make some popcorn and watch it with the wife when she gets off work... these vido you guys are doing is sum funny stuff. :lol:

Here in the Portland, Oregun area are these cable access channels where anyone can take classes and then produce a TV segment. Some of the stuff is cool, some is lame. I was flipping through and came across an old guy standing in front of a blue 620 talking some crazy stuff. I flipped on by.

They replay the same stuff at different times and on a couple of different channels. I came across the same segment a couple times but the guy seemed a little too weird. Finally, I watched most of it. The old guy said that the only business that isn't really regulated by the government is the scrap business and he went on and on telling all these stories about how he made money buying and selling scrap up and down the west coast.

He was into buying old main frame computer systems by the pound and then removing the gold from them and making tens of thousands of dollars. He looked for old military parts and melted the gold out of them. The more he went on with the stories of buying scrap for pennies and melting thousands out of it, the less crazy he seemed. Anyway, the 620 looked like it was in good shape and his daily driver. Anybody else see that on TVTV Metro Access?

• 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...

my mother referred to our '76 620 as a Ratsun, so the term has been around far longer than the term rat rod was a house hold word

Yeah my mom did too, about twenty years ago when we mobbed the yeller 610 coupe, and she had to pick it up some where else, probly ben around 80 years, some old guy probly named his old dot ratsun in 1922