questions on 4x4 ing a 620

jimmy dale

What is the best chassis to put under a 620 Toyota, ranger,s10 excreta  I have a 79 620 and haven't decided to put the whole frame on a different 4x4 frame like a 87 ranger I have or just the running gear

Kinda sounds stupid to my buddy but I was thinking of taking everything off the bottom of the frame and putting the frame on a ranger frame.

ranger is wider so I would put cross members  in the ranger and set the whole 620 frame inside the ranger kinda double framing

I also have a 94 302 if I need the extra power  it will be heavier with 2 frames

just wondering if it would be easier then shortening and welding like the other people on here do as I suck at welding and work in the back yard literal

I know someone who cut and welded a Toyota frame and put a Datsun on it but a lot of work and things he did I cant like the welding and such

I also suck at wiring so would be able to use all the Datsun wiring with the l20 left in the upper frame?

please don't give me a hard time I am going to do something just not sure what is best on a budget and with what I have or can get

thanks for any reply

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Your best friend and advisor is a a tape measure and you imagination. If you can't find a donor 720 I would just get a tape measure and go for it .

Some things to think about is lifting it later . Any thing that is not leaf spring straight axle can turn into lots of $$ to lift .

I wouldn't stack the frame , may be cheap but you can easily make a body lift to compensate for a frame difference

One bonus to going ranger or s-10 is you can buy v-8 swap kits for a decent price

I already have the ranger so I am thinking it would be the best way to go and the motor in the ranger is tired loses HP when it warms up and none adjustable valvs so just put in crosmembers and put the dat frame right on them and square it up and bolt it down would give about a 2 to 4 inch body lift as it is

And already have a 302 with trans just would need to get wire for auto transfer case  and hubs it is out of a 94 150 so fuel injection might be ok

not sure on mileage though

I did a 5.0 swap on a 2 wd ranger , then made it a prerunner , using a lift I found in the junk yard on a 4x4 .

And unless I misread your post ... Bolt them together should not happen . If you are gonna stack the frames you need to weld it . Even if you don't have a welder you can prep everything and the just find a local Mobile welder to come lay down some welds .

yes welding will happen but at to put them together I will put 2 in square tube acrossed the ranger frame and put the Datsun frame on top of it as the ranger is wider  so the Datsun will sit down 2 to 3 inches inside the ranger frame still gives a 2 to 3 inch lift jst a body lift is all then no messing with chassis lift

• 1 month later...

Please don't stack frames. :sick: 

Swap the motor, trans, tcase into the 620.

I would avoid the ranger axles. They are pretty weak in general, explorer axles would be better if your wanting to stay Ford, but even then the TTB stuff is still pretty weak.