aaf1e092d8a64ecea1ee35c5971fc152.jpg

b4eb905a67204420a45823d18a82b269.jpg

6554b64431e84a3493056265f34e8eb8.jpg

b7060459b5a44652942b5b0bfac00bcc.jpg

c639eab55007455cabc7ad80de0a034f.jpg

1ab91ba3bd44475caed069f37d78ac5d.jpg

afc24d9386b641b2907b44e6c63ed737.jpg

7460d8ab615a4796b9dcc21fe1b4d80e.jpg

.....and here is the situation like i said she is a rat and i like her as a rat however i just moved the the california coast (about 100 yards from the beach to be exact) from austin texas and i am trying to figure out a relitively simple and affordable way to neutralize all the rust that is on her that does not involve dismantling her and sand blasting all all the pieces.  i am aware that rust typically comes from the inside out but was wondering if there are any alternitives.

i spent alot of time and money getting her to be mechanically sound and now i am afraid a couple of years on the coast will turn her into a red pile of dust

also i have been trying to do my own leg work on this conundrum but for some reason my interweb speeds have been about as slow as molasas in december for a little over a week now

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

"I am trying to figure out a relitively simple and affordable way to neutralize all the rust that is on her that does not involve dismantling her and sand blasting all all the pieces."

If you can figure this out, you will be rich.   There is no miracle way to make rust go away.   Iron likes to combine with oxygen, when wet.

You can do this to remove rust from parts,

http://community.ratsun.net/topic/3012-electrolytic-rust-removal/?hl=electrolysis

But that requires removing parts from the truck, and submerging them in a plastic tub.

You can also put parts in a container, with molasses, and that will remove the rust.

With either process, the rusted metal is gone.  You will need to replace missing metal.  And then you have to get the good metal clean, and prime with a good epoxy primer.

• Like 1

this stuff looks interesting.......

http://www.rustbullet.com/Products/Automotive/Automotive.asp

especially after watching this video

maybe an extreem clean/pressure wash/ degrease/ detail job on the underside then a sand to mostly bare metal on the the outside then coat the whole damn thing with a lplv gun, pressure pot, brush, and roller?

then afterwards bondo mirrors and windsheild and finally a touch up with more of this rust stuff?

You need 3 things to make rust

Air

Water

Steel

If you get rid of one rust canot happen.

So when you lived in Texas you did not have a lot of water in the air. Witch slowed down the rusting. Now you live right next to the ocean so you need to get rid of air. There are a couple of ways to do this. You can rubberized the underside of the truck this will keep both water and air form reaching the metal. They also have a body wax that you can buy the gun for it has a long thin wand that you can snake into doors, rocker panels, A pillers this will keep water and air out as well but if it is applied where water will be splashed on it like from a tire you will have to re apply it every year in that spot. And you can always paint every inch of the truck. So you have a couple of things you can do just depends on what look you are going for