Drum brake lock-up

KFunk740

Is there any particular reason the stock brake drums would lock-up way too easily?

I've went through all adjusters and greased everything at some point, and all parts seemed to be operating smooth.  My left front has been locking up quite a bit (comes and goes), which is bad because when you touch the brakes, it likes to shoot you toward oncoming traffic. 

The left rear is also very touchy and inconsistent.

I think I have some brake fluid leaking on the left front (new cylinder already leaking, thanks rockauto...), so maybe that fluid is contributing.  Got a new one on shelf ready to change in a few days.

I've also wondered whether out-of-round drums could cause this.  I've got one new drum ready to go, but now that I have two locking up, maybe I should get another.

Is there anything else I should be looking at?  Can I check drums for roundness at home?

I'm going to take it all apart and change front cylinder and drum soon, re-bleed, etc., and want to know if I should be looking at anything else while the wheels are off.

I don't have any interest in switching to disc brakes.  The drums do stop well, and I like things being close to stock.  I just need to make the drums more predictable.... 

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

With front drum brakes alot of times it pulls to one side because the opposite side isn't working correctly.  Not because the side it pulls to is workng too good.... That is a complete guess though.

If it were me i would replace all the rubber parts and turn the drums ,, the best money spent is on your brakes.

Out of round tend to make the brake pedal pulse when applied. Wet shoes can sometimes get grabby same as first time you use brakes when it's raining.... or is that just old Dodges??? Yes check the adjuster on the right side. Maybe it's not doing it's job.

• 2 weeks later...

if one side is not adjusted properly it will cause the truck to shoot to one side when braking. I would check the opposite side brake to check the adjustment of the shoes and go from there.

also, if the car is shooting to one side while braking it could be an alignment issue. my truck tends to pull to the right when braking because I have a lot of play in my suspension king pins causing my wheel to turn slightly when braking. i am too cheap to replace it all though.