Revival of the Chickenhawk...

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

On 7/8/2019 at 8:36 AM, metalmonkey47 said:

What wrinkle black did you use on the valve cover?

Krylon, believe it or not. I've tried the expensive Eastwood stuff, and the middle priced Summit Racing stuff, with varying degrees of success. 

The real issue seems to be ambient temperature. For the expensive stuff to work, it needs to be well above 75 degrees where you're painting, and the hotter the better. Best results were obtained by leaving the part in the sun while it was 90+ degrees outside.

The Krylon seems to work well at anything above 60 degrees. But still the hotter it is when it's sprayed, the better the result. 

Interesting side note, the hotter it is, the tighter the grain in the paint gets. So if you want it really chunky, try to shoot when it's cooler out. That valve cover was done when it was in the mid-80s. Some other bits I shot a week later when it was 95+ came out with a much tighter grain pattern. 

Interesting side note #2, the grain pattern I got from shooting it in 100 degree heat made it almost a perfect match for most Datsun dashes. 😀

Edited by datsunfreak

Very interesting. I've had similar experiances with other brands of wrinkle black, I 'was' going to use it on my motorcycle frame (cafe project) but was unsure how it would turn out. Everything I tested came out like crap, yours seemed to turn out really well. I'm going to snag a can of the Krylon stuff and give it a shot when we have another hot Atlanta day. 

• 2 weeks later...

I've had the same heat related experience wrinkle black.  For me if i didnt follow the temp instructions and wait times, i had garbage.  If i was really particular about following instructions i got great results.

Regarding painting a bike frame, it will look good but it's a bitch to clean properly.  The wrinkles hold dirt something fierce.  Just something to consider.

• Like 1
On 7/19/2019 at 8:44 PM, Lockleaf said:

Regarding painting a bike frame, it will look good but it's a bitch to clean properly.  The wrinkles hold dirt something fierce.  Just something to consider.

I concur. I would lean more towards having the frame powdercoated wrinkle black, instead of paint. More durable, and easier to clean. 

Edited by datsunfreak
7 hours ago, Crashtd420 said:

Same.... I like over..... seems safer for the lights too...

The crash bar hangs down at least an inch lower than the lights (doesn't look that way in the photo), and we have always planned a skid plate for that area, so they should be fine either way. 

Now the occasional errant rock, that's another story. But the lights have poly-carbonate lenses, not glass, so...

• Like 1
3 hours ago, ]2eDeYe said:

Over, but I do like seeing that grill. Might be tempted to fit those in the headlight holes.  

I sure do miss the :devil: icon... 

These are 9" lights, so they wouldn't fit in the hole, but in front of them is an outside possibility...

Now, if we hacked the grill to fit them, get some "anime eyes" action going...  😃

• Like 1

I was thinking if you did them on the bottom with the skid plate could you also add a filler panel around the light...

I'm thinking a one piece that starts at the middle of the brush guard that rolls down and blends into the skid plate....

Either french the lights in some how  or copy the contor of the headlight trims.....

• Like 1
7 hours ago, ]2eDeYe said:

Over, but I do like seeing that grill. Might be tempted to fit those in the headlight holes.  

I sure do miss the :devil: icon... 

No, I have some 7" LED headlights for the stock headlight location.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Duncan said:

I like seeing the grill, too.  At first glance, it seems the light would be substantially more useful in the "over" position, though.. Maybe a light bar? (tough with a Coupe, though)

Just my $.02

And I have a light bar for the roof rack.

• Like 1
On 7/25/2019 at 8:21 PM, dimlight65 said:

But to be perfectly honest, I'm probably going to get a pair of 5" lights and do both over and under... because I'm dumb that way!

And as the actress said to the bishop, "Five inches looks so small!" 

I think what I need is something in the 7" range, but I'm going to give these a test fit to see how much too small they actually are.

2 hours ago, bananahamuck said:

I know move out of the stone age ,,, but ,, i'm just not feeling the LED 

Some vintage looking KC highlights for me 

Or how bout a couple thin led lightbars on top AND bottom of the shelf ?? 

To some extent, I totally agree with you on the classic vs LED argument.  At first I was, "No!  There is no way I'm putting LED lights on this car.  It won't look right!"  Then... I don't know what happened.  I just went totally the other way and said, "Aw hells yeah!  All LEDs!  All the time!"

As for thin light bars, I have one for the roof, I suppose I could do another on the push bar.  Let me grok how these look and I'll get back with y'all.

Edited by dimlight65
add a joke
  • Like 1

If just for that MadMax look, period correct is fine but your alternator and wiring won't like it. If you want them to actually work then HID or LED bulbs are a must. A reverse on the 'old wine in new bottles' you could run HID inside old KC housings.