Curt

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

They never come with the pedestal.

Here's a thing to remember with distributors, pedestals, and timing plates:

They are a matched set.  It doesn't matter what they came off of or what they are going on to, as long as the SET is the same.  All L-series engines use the same mounting flange and drive tang design, so a '79 4-cyl L-series dist (with the original plate and pedestal) will fit any  4-cyl L-series engine.

ggzilla's pic is nice, but it fails to note that L20Bs came with at least 3 differently oriented dist timing plates, with different pedestals to match. 

The problems crop up when folks either 1) forget to grab the pedestal when they take one from a wrecking yard or 2) try to do the conversion with a "rebuilt" dist, which don't come with a pedestal.  Then they try to make the points pedestal work with the matchbox, which will bolt on if it was a large-cap type points dist, but it won't time in properly.   The funny thing is, though, is you can make it work through trial and error, and even by flipping the plate over in some cases.   But some folks, after giving up, sell the dist with the points pedestal on it becuase it looks complete.

• Like 1

Yes. for example Canada still used points when USA changed to EI. Another example, california models used EI in 1977 while the same sold in Oregon used points. Do they use the same pedestal? Yes, but maybe not the same timing plate. No one has comprehensively investigated this.

• Like 1

Ok, I can't hold the tongue back any longer folks. For the record, I've got a lead from here and thanks to all of you overall.

However, nowhere in this post did I ask if it was a good deal, or say I was interested in buying it. You're offering opinions and vaguely answering my ACTUAL question. I've researched and know what the EI distributors look like, including both styles. However, I could not find good images of just the timing plate and pedestal. So for example, if I found one in a yard with the distributor already gone (very common) I would have no clue if I was looking at the right pedestal and timing plate. I'm not looking to put bandaids on the motor over and over again. The block wouldn't have run for 300k miles if the previous owner had swapped in used parts instead of rebuilding over the past 30 years. So thanks for the help and this comment is not meant to offend anyone as I hope to build "friendships" here and gain knowledge. Sometimes someone is actually looking for an answer to the question they are asking.

OK

Already rebuilt even? I'll post an ad then, I posted one asking for the timing plates and pedestal but got nothin.

.Gee i don't know where we could have been so stupid thinking you were contemplating buying it.

AND for the record  i did answer your question as the base on a single point distributor is the same as the one on a matchbox ,,OR remote ignitor type,,,,,,,,,,, that i mentioned ,,,,,,,, in my response you took so much offence at. And as you have come to find since people "correctly" answered you post,,,,,,,,, sometimes the answer isn't always black or white

Your welcome.

It's all good Bannana. I just thought that was as direct as I could possibly ask. I should have asked a more open question? I just felt I was getting more reaction to the price than answering the question I asked. I get now that asking if it was the "correct" plate to do the matchbox conversion is a little bit vague because you can do it with more than one set up.

I can just wait for the mounts and if they are the mounts for the remote module EI I can just do that ei swap instead. Or weigh the options. I would prefer to do the "matchbox" swap but I don't really care if they both preform the same.

I'll make a build thread in the future so I don't clog up the works and I'll try to ask better questions.

Thanks so much for everyone's help. Sorry if I came off like a dick that was not my intention, I was just frustrated at the general confusion. I feel I know what is going on now and have some photos for reference.

• Like 1

I have a '78 620 and it came with the remote igniter dizzy. I eventually replaced it with a matchbox from a '79 truck, in fact I've now have had three '79 matchbox dizzys so I think Canada got them at the same time as the states. I've also had an '80 and '81 Z20E four plug dizzy and sold/gave away. The US only got '80 non California four plug heads.