Differential H190 inspection,rebuild question?

Hotpad

I think I've narrowed down the vibration in drive line to the rear end....any advise on trouble shooting, or replacement part numbers, would be interested in a used carrier/pumpkin,ring&pinion assembly....if any body can point me in the right direction....that would be great. Does anybody do an exchange on the assembly, turn in a core type part? Thanks guys!

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If vehicle was lowered the drive shaft U joint angles no longer match

Not the carrier bearing but the rubber isolator surrounding it rotted/torn/missing.

One or more of the three U joints bad.

Bent or otherwise damaged drive shaft. Mud or under spray on drive shaft.

Out of balance wheel or balance weight fell off.

Mud on inside of rim

Damaged or bent rim or tire.

Broken drum brake.

These are much more likely than a differential.

There is no carrier in a 320, so that is not the issue.

Have you removed the driveline to check the U-joints?

If you have not, remove it and check both of them.

While the driveline is out, with the e-brake on so that neither wheel can turn/move, grab the pinion flange on the rearend and tell me how much play there is, twist on it, how much does it move, if it moves/twists more than a quarter inch I say it is scrap, if it moves more than an eighth inch I would be looking for another one, if it is less than an eighth inch you likely are fine unless the gear oil is a silver color.

I have had rearends wear out before, they didn't vibrate, they just made a lot of noise, but that doesn't mean they won't vibrate.

Seems like we have talked about this before, was it determined that the driveline had thrown a balance weight, how was that fixed?

Have you emptied the gear oil out yet?

Hey guys, had drive shaft off to replace U joints, they seemed ok, when re-installing them I had to rotate the yoke end on diff to get u joint into saddle on diff....when I turned the yoke it diddnt feel right...kinda rough, pinion bearings seemed tight, feels like contact between pinion and ring could be off? Gonna try new set of tires, when I had the front in the air, there is some run out on the O.D. Of tire. Runs smooth till ya get to about 55, then it comes on...back off to 50, and it's gone....driving me nuts...lol. Driveshaft looked good when I had it out of the truck. Carried it into napa to try and get the correct u joints, they are trying to get them by dimensions of old ones. I will do the E brake on, and check backlash on pinion shaft and let ya know. Thanks again!