what should tie rod replacement cost?

My sister had her 2001 Honda Civic at the shop for new Tie Rods.  She got both ends (inner and outer), both sides (driver and passenger), and the connecting rods.  I'm thinking this should be relatively cheap work, but I'd like to know what you mechanics think I should see on the estimate.  I'm not looking for the "man, I'd do that for $40 and a sixer"  I'm looking for the shop price that I should expect for lifetime tie rods, professionally installed.  

Thanks in advance.  

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I want to add that I very much doubt that all 4 are bad.

Very rarely have I ever seen steering components bad on a Honda.

92 Accord with 251k on original components other than upper ball joints & bushings (bushings basically rotted out).  I will say that Honda quality has taken a dive since, IMO.

Anyways, I was going to say it'd probably run around $400.

I'm now on the hook for $388.  $192 in parts is what blows my mind.  But with lifetime parts, perhaps they are worth it.  

The problem is that my sister is so broke, I'll need to pay the mechanic, or he wont get paid, and i'll take the fall cause I'm the one who knows him.  But this car was so bad, there was no way I could let her keep on the road.  Especially when she drives my kids around.  That alone makes the $600 spa day for her P.O.S. worth it.  That's two tie rod assemblies, installed, two front tires (I already paid for the rears a few months ago), installed, alignment and balancing.  $615 to be precise.  

But it sounds like I'm not paying too much for the tie rods, and I know the tires are cheap cause I'm paying wholesale.  

$192 for the parts seems kinda high but then again, a lot of shops buy parts from the parts store at a discount, then double or triple the price! That is what I have seen in the commercial depart at Autozone where I work. I looked up the parts on Autozone.com and it is around $180, so not bad deal on the parts. Then you add three to four hours labor for installing the parts and four wheel alignment. So in all not a bad deal. I have seen a lot worse when I worked in service at the dealers. For example Lexus charged $125 per hour...WOW! And their parts were outrageous.You would probably have a bill over $1000 WITHOUT the tires, not exaggerating either.

Well, my daily is a Mercedes, so I've got a good grasp of the discrepancy between services based on what emblem is on your hood. I spend over a grand diagnosing a code, and replacing an EGR valve and O2 sensor. Thought I'd establish report with the shop, ended up vowing to never go back!

• Like 1

$192 for the parts seems kinda high but then again, a lot of shops buy parts from the parts store at a discount, then double or triple the price! That is what I have seen in the commercial depart at Autozone where I work. I looked up the parts on Autozone.com and it is around $180, so not bad deal on the parts. Then you add three to four hours labor for installing the parts and four wheel alignment. So in all not a bad deal. I have seen a lot worse when I worked in service at the dealers. For example Lexus charged $125 per hour...WOW! And their parts were outrageous.You would probably have a bill over $1000 WITHOUT the tires, not exaggerating either.

....Aaaannndd You get what you pay for. Literally. Keep in mind big places like Lexus, Toyota, Honda, and even Nissan 'dealerships' must abide by all rules and regulations. They can easily get audited by the manufacture they're franchising from. Saying that, sure.. Techs do take shortcuts, but it's done right the first time with legit OEM parts. I do agree, however, that it's a steep price to pay.

With that said... in regards to OP...

I think $615 (If I read that right) is a very fair price to pay. It doesn't sound like they're getting the best of you by any means. I'd pay that .... (If I wasn't a mechanic here at Toyota already!  :thumbup: )

But again, if this guy is a friend-je should have replaced what was actually broken only.

I may have been up-sold here, but he did ask if he should just replace both sides while at it. I agreed. My sis is railing on me right now for the price. Oh well, safe though. I'll take some shit for that re-assurance. I'm happy with price too. Thank you wrenchers.

• Like 1

Yeah.... I tend to agree that the replacing the inner tie-rods was probably not necessary, but.... who knows. I'm speaking out of general experience and not on that particular car. I have definitely seen inner tie rods go bad though. It's usually on cheaper, smaller "throw away" cars like my little Mitsu. Mirage. 

Anywhoo, you're right. Safety is the importance here. You ever seen what happens when a tie rod end fails?

Not good.

suspension_failure.jpg