Preparing to sell my Datsun... Good asking price?

cheetah79857985

I have a 1977 620 series Datsun Pickup I am getting ready to sell. It has a two year old paint job (a few rust spots/bubbles), brakes, shocks, tires, new wiring (under the hood only), and a year old weber carburator and coil. It runs reliably, though it may take a bit to learn the "special touch" it needs. It likes to die while idling in drive (4 speed automatic). 5500 went into restoring it, though that restoration was just to make it drivable. What would be a reasonable asking price? What would be the most I could hope for? What should the lowest amount I accept? I live in the USA, West Coast. Thanks for any advice you give. I have two other POV pictures if needed.

DVC00139.jpg

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

$20 an i'll take it off your hands man.... :P nah im jk but seriously thats a pretty clean truck.. where u at on the west coast? if that truck runs an drives really good, and its mostley stock an hasnt been molested too much.. i'd say maybe ASK 2000.. an maybe accept 12-1500.. i know u put alot of money into it.. but you never get what u put into a datsun.. it bein an automatic is a big downfall.. a 5spd would be much nicer but im sure someone could easily convert it..

sorry bud i got my own truck, i was jus curious, sorry for gettin your hopes up.. i wasnt tryin to low ball ya or nothin like that.. had it been a 5spd or even 4spd i would say dont go any lower then 1800 and maybe ask 2500.. thats just me tho.. i've spent well over $2000 on my truck.. altho i bought my truck for $100.. i would not settle for a penny less then $1500 if i did sell it.. thats in its current condition ofcourse.. but once i take care of all the little odds and ends an give it a paint job i too would ask $2500 an take no less then 2.. put i dont plan on sellin my truck so i dont have to worry about all that..

I see a rust spot!!!!! door lower corner(where they usually start to rust)

It has a two year old paint job (a few rust spots/bubbles), sounds like wasnt prepped correctly.

west coast? Thats a big area. Could give a location

4 speed automatic?

Is there such a thing on a 620?

straight truck but its a 1500$ rig if that. If you get more take it!!!!!!!!

up here in canada that kind of truck in that condition is very rare. i got lucky with mine after looking for some time. prolly 3000-3200 in b.c. canada. if you take care of the rust bubbling you would be more likely to sell it for that bit more as well. just depends how much its really bubbling, somebody is sure to chew you down for it.

Another thing to remember is that you never get your money back, unless it's a rare and a serious collector car like a Shelby, or 65-68 fastback mustang or camaro. Our cars or trucks is a collector but a niche market not mainstream.

Heck, I know people right now that spent like $20K on their Datsun 510 and 1st gen celicas and they know they will not get their money back...don't look at our cars as an investment.

Another thing to remember is that you never get your money back, Heck, I know people right now that spent like $20K on their Datsun 510 and 1st gen celicas and they know they will not get their money back...don't look at our cars as an investment.

So true!! They are never valued at what they are worth to the owner. A Datsun collector might see it as a nice addition, but the everyday Joe will see it as an old truck.

Nice truck though!

Oh yeh seems like a nice truck, can't tell with one picture and automatic..so someone who buys this will more than likely convert to a 5 spd., which means mo money and mo money...most people would like a stick since these engines don;t have that much torque and stick will give it a little bit more torque.

I have always been of the opinion that any driveable, road legal, currently registered car is worth atleast $1000.00 off the bat. Then maybe you can see a pre-smog premium of $500 in Cali (but i see yours doesnt qualify). One that is straight with no cancerous rust (I'm not saying perfect) another $500. Anything over that is desireability, salesmanship and finding the right buyer. Those are the rules I use for buying and selling and they work where I live.

DVC00140.jpg

DVC00141.jpg

Just for show... I live in Oregon, I don't think it would pass smog (someone told me because of the weber carburator (does CA not have a grandfather clause?)), and I know I won't get my money back, I'm just trying to lose as little as possible.

Thanks for all the feedback guys!

BTW, what sort of extra steps would be needed to sell my truck to someone in Canada?

It is a really clean truck! As mentioned, I think the auto is the only thing that would hold it back.

To give you an example of one in similar condition w/ an automatic, check out this craigslist ad from Indiana. Now he wants $2900 BUT this truck has been for sale consistantly for least a year w/ no takers. It is also in Indiana, where there are less datto collectors so that might explain some of the shelf time.

http://indianapolis.craigslist.org/cto/793141604.html

put it on craigslist, and let the buyer figure it out. all they need to do is inspect it and get canadian reggy. doesnt really take much. you could also put it on ebay with a reserve as well. up here the datsun trucks are rare, especially in good condition. mine was listed at 2500, and the paint aint even shiney. mine has no rust as well, then i talked the guy down. i looked at so many trucks here that ppl wanted 1500 for, and that were cancer riddin pile o crap. half them didnt even run either. the better they ran, the worse the body was.

Just for show... I live in Oregon, I don't think it would pass smog (someone told me because of the weber carburator (does CA not have a grandfather clause?)), and I know I won't get my money back, I'm just trying to lose as little as possible.

When it comes to potential revenue California has nothing grandfathered in. Litterally, if the vehicle doesnt have oem or approved oem replacement parts, or if it cant run clean at factory specs, and they do check, you wont pass smog and cant drive your car.

I dont know if the auto works against you necessarilly. People who dont like sticks, or people who are not physically able to drive a manual trans, may love a little auto truck for around the home uses.

If I were selling your truck I would list it at $2500 and be open to lower bids if they seem reasonable.

Here are some local competitors for the sale of your truck:

http://corvallis.craigslist.org/cto/826944288.html

http://corvallis.craigslist.org/cto/818453082.html

http://corvallis.craigslist.org/cto/792993902.html

http://eastoregon.craigslist.org/cto/790531286.html

http://medford.craigslist.org/cto/824728899.html

http://medford.craigslist.org/cto/799950203.html

http://oregoncoast.craigslist.org/cto/791179950.html

And theres more too.... tons... you guys have a ton of these trucks up there... down here you cant find shit...

Just take the best, most complementary pictures you can of you truck, focusing on the items that make your truck awesome. Dont mention any negative opinions you have, because others may have different perspectives. But DO disclose mechanical defects you are aware of.

That is a very clean 620. AutoTragic tho:eek: Still there is someone out there that will pay what you want 4 it. You just have to word the ad rite and put all the info in. I have never had a problem selling my rigs. Just be patient and weed thru the low-life ass clowns that you get thru craigslist:lol:

Dont try and sell it on here either cuz these nicle-dick mofos on here.........:lol::lol::lol: