I'm building an LZ-22 and I have a question...

makya

If I use the Z oil pan it doesn't clear the crosmember, if I use the L oil pan it sits crooked if I use the z motor mounts to make the 5 speed fit.

and if I use the L motor mounts to make the oil pan sit flat, the 5 spd. sits off to the pass. side

soo, which motor mounts and tranny do you use? Is there a way to use it with the 5 speed? If so, do I need to fabricate an exhaust?

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The Z series engines sit in a more vertical position in the engine bay than the L series. The L series leans over to the passenger side about 12 degrees. Motor mounts, oil pan and the bolt pattern on the transmissions are all 'clocked' to one side or the other depending on which series motor you use. Basically you are making an L engine out of a Z. For best results for an LZ conversion you need to use L series oil pan, mounts and transmission. You could use a Z tranny and modify the rear mount, remember it's tilted when bolted to an L, and bend the shifter over towards the driver's side by 12 degrees.

use 510 motor mounts and L series 5 speed(or use a L bell housing on a Napz Z trans ans use Dave Carrol X member

I could've sworn someone told me you couldn't put a 4 speed bell on a 5 speed trans.:confused:

not true. both mine are in the stock locations. it may not be 'easy' but its hidden ;)

i had to 'calibrate' them too :lol:

yep, mine "custom" :cool: I just won''t check the oil until the motor cools down:eek:

I never did say 4 speed.I assumed if your were going LZ and that that you already had 5speeds to choose from.

Its a 5 speed L motor trans from like a 77-79 200sx and the later Napz 5 speeds(later 200sx (81-83) that the bells can be to swapped.

or a use a Z car 5 speed and shorten the drive shafts(enlarge the tunnel shift hole)

I think this is mentioned in the Dime Quarterly FAQ section on the 5 speed angles and there the shifter come out

Hainz,

I believe the '77-'79 200sx had the dogleg 5spd. It has a different cover plate inside the bell with 7 instead of 5 bolts holding it on. The dogleg also has a smaller counter gear bearing at the front which only matches the dogleg cover plate and won't bolt to the FS5W71B.

FS5W71B on left dogleg on right. Note the smaller counter gear on the dogleg. Also the case bolt patterns don't look the same on the adapter plates either.

http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q251/datzenmike/trans280anddoglegonright.jpg[/img]"]trans280anddoglegonright.jpg

FS5W71B 5 bolt cover plate left, dogleg 7 bolt cover plate right. Both are upside down. You can see the smaller counter bearing recess in the dogleg cover.

http://i13g.photobucket.com/albums/q251/datzenmike/trans1280anddoglegfrontcovers.jpg[/img]"]trans1280anddoglegfrontcovers.jpg

Mike are you sure?

I will assume that I am wrong since I havent actually took one apart but Jeff has done it with a Z trans and a KA trans I think and a guy I meet said, he did the same thing.

Maybe Im totally off on this one. The Dime Quarterly says Napz Truck so then maybe not the 81-83 200sx

Jeff said most 5 speed bells can be swapped I think except for a CA turbo or something cause of the bigger bearing

I never did say 4 speed.I assumed if your were going LZ and that that you already had 5speeds to choose from.

Its a 5 speed L motor trans from like a 77-79 200sx and the later Napz 5 speeds(later 200sx (81-83) that the bells can be to swapped.

or a use a Z car 5 speed and shorten the drive shafts(enlarge the tunnel shift hole)

I think this is mentioned in the Dime Quarterly FAQ section on the 5 speed angles and there the shifter come out

I was going by the above post that says '77-'79 200sx, pretty sure they were doglegs. The '77-'79 truck, '77-'83 280z front bells will swap with any Z engine FS5W71B 5spd from any '80-'83 200sx, '81-'83 Z22 720, '84-'86 1/2 Z24 720 and D-21s to '88 and KA24Es after that. I think starting with the D-21s the tranny was changed to the FW5W71C type but the front L case can be modified to fit it fairly easily. This is what Jeff did I guess.

[quote name=banzai510(hainz);78536

Jeff said most 5 speed bells can be swapped I think except for a CA turbo or something cause of the bigger bearing

This is interesting... I have an '85 CA18ET (turbo) 5 speed. The front bell is the CA bolt pattern. I was saving it as a spare' date=' hoping to swap the bell if I need to later. It has the later B type shifter used on the '80-'83 280s and the Z engines but the tail stock is heavily ribbed like the later C type. I'll have to split it next summer and see if it has the larger counter bearing. BTW that bearing can be removed and the L series bearing pressed on in order to use the L bell. (I think)

http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q251/datzenmike/transFS5W71BfromCA18ET85200sx003Lar.jpg[/img]"]transFS5W71BfromCA18ET85200sx003Lar.jpg

Here's a KA FS5W71C with 280z bell attached. Note the heavily ribbed tail stock.

http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q251/datzenmike/transFS5W71Ctypewwith280Lbell.jpg[/img]"]transFS5W71Ctypewwith280Lbell.jpg