First Car! 78 Datsun B210

TheGam1ngK1ng

Hey guys! Im 16 and live in Utah! Just joined Ratsun and hopefully find some fellow Datsun enthusiasts around!

I Just picked up this 78 Datsun B210 for $500! This thing is a looker! Probably have the oldest car in school but everyone loves it! Mechanically it runs perfectly! just needs some interior work and some exterior work. Thinking of replacing the v4 with a V6 next year(or a v8 if I can get it to fit)! Im thinking of starting on the interior first but need some ideas that isnt too expensive but that look cool! Thanks Guyz :D

Some Pics!

20140405_180756.jpg

20140405_180814.jpg

20140405_180927.jpg

20140405_180901.jpg

• Like 2
  • Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I've never revved my engine that high on first gear but ill give  it a try!

Im planing on changing the hard plastic racing seats to some black and red bucket seats that are actually comfortable.  I am also planning to fix up all the cracked panels and wrap them in carbon fiber or something like that. I also need to add some carpet and maybe rebuild the transmission sometime. It works 100% it just has a buzzing sound from gears 1-3 which I'm only assuming that the bearings are getting a little worn.

It's a 5 speed. Not sure if the owner ever switched it but that's how I bought it! He also put those rims on so I have no clue what they are but I'll check!  

Im also planning to replace/move the mirrors and mount them on the fenders for a more classic look :D

Alright will do thanks! Also, does anyone know how to pull/roll a fender easy without a fender roller? I heard you could do it with a baseball bat or a phonebook.

The tires sometime rub on the fender when backing up and turning. Car is really bouncy on bumps too. Guess I need new shocks and struts. 

B210 is bouncy on bumps with new shocks. Is normal. If you buy genuine Nissan units it has the smoothest ride, while new after market shocks are more bouncy.

To test the shocks, push down on each corner of the car, and let up suddenly. The car should bounce only 1 time. If it bounces multiple times, replace the shocks.

Not $500

That's the 210 gearbox that's worth more money

that trans in your car could be worth that ,  since it has obviously been swapped in.  

You will need to know what trans it is if you ever have to buy a new clutch for it..   the 60  (stamped on right side)  or the 63 also stamped on right side.  

the Fs5W63A came in 76 -78 B210 coupes   and the FS5W60A or L came in the later B310 (210's) 

Just a heads up

• Like 1

It's an aftermarket "Transformers" steerling wheel that the last owner stuck on.

I also popped my  head under my car and only saw a "#17" stamped on the transmission but I will inspect it better one I get it on jack stands.

I also mounted my mirrors onto the fenders and it looks pretty sweet now! Very classy look to it.

Hopefully I buy some new seats next week because the hard plastic racing seats that are in there hurt and sit a little low to the ground.

Hopefully I buy some new seats next week

Becareful  when shopping for seats. They need to be a very low sitting seat, 75 -78 B210's have a hump in the floor where the "CAT" is or was.  I have Miata seats in mine, I need to modify the floor rails  to get them lower.  I hate to cut them  but I also hate hittin my head too.

• Like 1

Becareful when shopping for seats. They need to be a very low sitting seat, 75 -78 B210's have a hump in the floor where the "CAT" is or was. I have Miata seats in mine, I need to modify the floor rails to get them lower. I hate to cut them but I also hate hittin my head too.

You sure it started in '75? My '76 federal sedan had the hump (sledge fixed it though) the '75 federal sedan parts car did not. My '75 federal coupe does not have a hump.

Thanks for the warning guys! I was about to buy some seats that were too big. I compared some other ones to my seats already in there. Found some good ones!

Also if you guys were to swap the engine and transmission, what would you put in it and would it fit? I was thinking of doing an engine swap next year and thinking of maybe sticking in a v6.

• 3 weeks later...

It is! Sorry internet went down. Right now I am working on the brakes. Changing brake shoes and pads tomorrow and bleeding the whole car just cause the brakes are that bad. I'm planning working on the interior or get some body filler and work on the exterior.