noob with size/offset question on a 620

hey guys, I'm hopefully getting a bone stock 620 4 speed soon and I'd like to lower it a little and do wheels and tires to start.

I've been looking at pics and info but still not sure what offset I need to get the stace I'm looking for.

for some reason I can't post the link or the pic so If possible, google Datsun 620 stance and the 1st pic that comes up with a brown truck black wheels should be it.

I like D windows and they are cheap enough but they're a few offset and backspace options I don't wanna get the wrong ones.

thanks

javier

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

That is well covered here on Ratsun. There are how to's on converting to a cheaper more easily found Saturn higher output internally regulated alternator and several others. If you have the external voltage regulator, no problems... there is an easy step by step conversion to the internal ones and you can chuck the problematic fender mounted regulator away.

Lowering should be done first so that you don't get an impossible set of rims the can't be lowered over. There are many ways from mild to wild to lower the 620 and the good and the bad of each.

thanks for the info, I'll do some research on it so I have an idea

a little info on the truck, 73 with a 1.8 and 4 speed. only issue he says is overcharging, he was asking 3500, I asked if that was neg. he said he'll take 3k, supposedly has 86k on it.

there is one closer to me, 5 miles instead of over 200, guy wants 5900 and its an auto...

looking into getting it transported from pa to long island, gonna be like 700 bucks

• Like 1

even 3 k is quite a bit for a not "fully functioning" 620

i know your on the east coast so what about rust? 

also it could be 186k even 286k ask for pictures of the brake pedal and clutch pedal 

as far as charging, the v. regulator is prolly shot, which would lean more towards 186k or higher

, so 3700 for a truck that for the most part is in unknown condition? + another 2-3k to do what you want with it?

i would get more pics and post here so others can help asses the truck

I had wondered about this myself when I was looking for wheels, but people's responses were pretty varied so I just figured out how to measure for myself.

Offset is the measure in/out (-/+) of the wheel's mounting surface to the centerline of the wheel. What offset you use will vary depending on the width of your wheel.

In order to measure I put the truck at ride height and measured from the mounting surface (outside surface of rotor or drum) to a plumb line off the inner edge of the fender.  The number I came up with was right about 4", I have the hardbody front disk breaks so it may be different for drums.

I didn't want a + offset wheel so the widest I can go without rolling/pulling or otherwise modifying the fender was 7".  0 offset puts the mounting surface on the center line at 3.5", but since wheel widths aren't measured from the edges it is actually 4" from the mounting surface to the outside edge.

IMAG0354_zps0abd7446.jpg

In my case I am also going to have to use a small spacer to clear the calipers on the front, but I should be able to get away with just rolling the inside edge of the fender.

• Like 1

imho, i think that an 86k mile truck shouldnt have/ need a shitty primer paint job, and there is lots of wear on the pedals, and steering wheel is covered, it has a weber it looks like, which could mean two things, he wanted more power , or the stock hitachi went out, and that shouldn't happen at 86k.

i think it has rolled over at least once,

and i wouldn't pay more than 1500- 2k  if i still have to spend 700 on shipping, i would offer him 1500 and go from there, and keep looking around.

it looks pretty good thought just not 3k good 

• 9 years later...