Help! Is this 240Z worth it??

EndStar

Go to a body shop, and try to get the owner or someone over 40 to talk with you. Buy him lunch. Show him pictures of both vehicles, and talk shop on what you are in for. You are not building a car with wrenches. You will need a welder and associated tools. Tooling up will cost more than the cars. Hiring a shop will cost far more than anything.

To answer your question: Yes. You are over your head. This could be a good opportunity to learn some good lessons, but it could also really dissuade you from future projects.

I'll lay it out clear. If you are doing this cause you can't afford a $5000 z, stop. $5000 is less than you will spend getting this thing to drive its first block. And frankly, I'd guess there is less than a 10% chance it will get there. If you are that 1 In 10 guy, you are very self motivated, stubborn, have a regular income, have a reliable daily driver, have a work space that can house this car for at least a year, and you love working on cars as much as driving them.

My first post, I didn't see the roof damage. That really makes this a tough repair. The latest car you posted will need the front clip welded on, as well as clean fenders.

Oh, just find a driving decent car. 240z's are fun if you find one, but the more I look at this, the more I think is just strip the interior for parts and let the rest go.

Of it doesn't run, all it is worth is the interior, and yeah the whole spend more on a better car to save thing ha been in my head for a while, the problem isn't I can't a better Z, it's I can't find a 240z in Michigan! All we have are 280z and zx which are nice, but not what I want. The storage thing is not an issue.

It won't hurt to check out, but I'm really starting to think I need to wait t for a better base to come along

• Like 1
  • Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Then travel, stop trying to pick something close. Some people travel 12+ hours for the right Z... 

Like I said earlier if you have to buy z's like this because you cant afford better then you dont have the means to play this game. Save your money and get something worth working on when you do. 

• Like 1

Then travel, stop trying to pick something close. Some people travel 12+ hours for the right Z...

Like I said earlier if you have to buy z's like this because you cant afford better then you dont have the means to play this game. Save your money and get something worth working on when you do.

Yeah you are definitely right, thanks for all the advice everyone, you all were great helps! I will be back when I get one!

Check these out.

http://chicago.craigslist.org/nwc/cto/4399616917.html

http://chicago.craigslist.org/chc/cto/4406380528.html

Borrow/rent a truck, and trailer. Chi town is about 5 hours from here. Runs and drives is worth spending 3k if your on a budget. Not running and driving could cost more to make it so depending on your mechanical abilities.