L series intakes

mklotz70

I was just getting ready to strip and scrap the smog styled intake when I noticed the ports appeared bigger. Maybe this is common knowledge. I'm not much of a motor guy, but I only remember hearing guys talk about wanting non-smog intakes. So I took some pics and thought I'd post them.

Making a block off block isn't a big deal. It would need to incorporate the pcv valve. There's no way to port the non-smog intake to the size of the smog one. I'm sure it's because the smog intake is off the L20b's. You could have a non-smog mani Extrude Honed, but for what that would cost....I'd just make the block off block :)

DCP_8973.jpg

Dcp_8974sm.jpg

Dcp_8975sm.jpg

Dcp_8976sm.jpg

Dcp_8977sm.jpg

Dcp_8978sm.jpg

Dcp_8979sm.jpg

DCP_8980.jpg

DCP_8981.jpg

DCP_8982.jpg

DCP_8983.jpg

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The block-off plate on my 4X4 has a threaded angle tube welded on for the PCV, as well as a vacuum port (which is capped off on mine). But really, all you need is a 90 degree street elbow that a PCV valve can screw into. Thread the plate for the pipe thread for the 90 degree street elbow, and put the PCV in the other end. If you do it right, the original PCV hose even lines up.

DCP_8973.jpg

You know Mike, why anyone would want an un smog intake is beyond me. The L20B intake is bigger and you don't have to port match, which only goes in for an inch or two anyway. Fits the U-67 or W-58 because it was made for them. Larger throttle holes.

Block off plates usually look like crap (with a few exceptions) they are a bother to make, a possible source of air leaks and difficult to incorporate a PCV valve into. Just pull the hose off and plug the carb vacuum source to defeat the EGR valve... done!

Yes the smog intake is bigger but I have succesfully ported 4 non smoggers to the same match size. Done carefully you can take out a ton. Porting the top opening to an outward scoop from the top of a weber adapter the only larger part is the bend,which isnt all that much.

I dont think too many folks would spend the time and effort like I do. I get obsessed with it. It takes forever but usually worth it. A nice clean intake without any crap. And I dont machine them,its all by hand and quite even.

The w58 intake is good because it only has the area in back to block off. The stovepipe setup sucks..

Making the block off won't be a prob....I'll do it out of alum....easy to work with. Good excuse to play with the mill :)

In the 8th pic down, you can see that the bend of the L20 intake is actually bigger....so even if you can port down that far, I doubt it will end up quite as big. I applaud your patience in doing the port job. I have the tools....just ever had the time :)

• 1 month later...
Making the block off won't be a prob....I'll do it out of alum....easy to work with. Good excuse to play with the mill :)

In the 8th pic down, you can see that the bend of the L20 intake is actually bigger....so even if you can port down that far, I doubt it will end up quite as big. I applaud your patience in doing the port job. I have the tools....just ever had the time :)

Hey Mike,

Did you finish that L20 intake with PCV valve?

Sorry....wasn't even working on it. I was trying to clean some of my junk out when I noticed the difference between the two intakes. That got me side tracked into taking some pics and making the thread, but I wasn't actually going to do anything with it any time soon. I need to get the valve cover done first. I'll have to check and see if I have a chunk of AL to even make one out of. :)

• 5 months later...
So the L16 Intake isnt a bolt on to say the W58?

What about a U67?

I just bought one and want to make sure it fits. Also, i noticed the carb plate is different sizes, is that going to matter? I am using the weber 32/36....

You can bolt any L series intake on any L series head. :D

It is the exhausts that are different........W58 is round and U67 is square. You will need an adapter for the Weber...they are cheap and easily available.

Edited by Phlebmaster