71 2 Door from Atlantic Canada

Got home to finally work on the car and got my carb/manifold problem sorted out. Also got the exhaust roughly put into place just need to get some clamps and hangers put in there tomorrow.

20160709_202946.jpg

Final thing to get it on the road is a throttle cable. Checked the local large autoparts stores and they had nothing, going to check out the smaller locally owned speed shops tomorrow and hopefully will be driving it around after that.

20160709_202928.jpg

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 234
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Never did update this but got the car running and drove it around for most of my vacation. 

Back in Ontario now and missing it like crazy haha. Few pictures from driving it around 

14012595_10154503364843746_1845798016_o.

Love the new hood, fits the car much better than the last one i think 

14045345_10154503364838746_1641680407_o.

9c2d9e61-6094-45a0-85b4-86931db3821d.jpg

Also picked up a new daily, 2016 Volkswagen Golf R. 300hp/300ft-lbs with awd and a dual clutch transmission is pretty nice, love the spark cut between shifts, keeps the turbo spooled and can cause some pretty mean backfires when on it hard.

20160701_141931.jpg

I swear i change cars like most people change socks

• Like 1

Wait, a factory built street car with a backfire spool setup? I was under the impression that design is extremely hard on the turbo and other engine components.

My thoughts as well, not sure how they exactly did it and have the cars last/meet emissions but it's definitely a feature from the factory. As is the launch control which holds at 4000rpm and has some sort of cut there as well. It's not near as prominent during the launch as between shifts but if the cars hot it'll let out some good backfires while holding. 

• Like 2
  • 5 months later...
Well finally settled in the new place and finally have my baby back. First order of business was to swap out the old 13s for a set of SSR MkII's. Running 14x7+0 up front and 14x7.5 -6 out back. Was worried my rears might not fit but turns out my 13s were way more aggressive than I was told and they fit they exact same. Only markings on them are 13x7 and was told they were 0 offset but they fit closer to a -15 it seems. 

P7hH3A.jpg

aqQBdV.jpg

Up next will be finally picking up an r180 and maybe some brakes at some point. 

Maybe even getting the 620 here soon, still deciding what engine I want to put in that. It's great to be back!

• Like 3
Next order of business isn't as cool as bigger brakes or rear coils but it needs to be done all the same. Crossmember and mustache bar bushings are totally shot so ordered a set of both from Whiteline, while I have everything off might as well do the rear control arms so have a set from Energy on the way too. Going to clean up and paint everything while im at it and probably get the exhaust hole in the crossmember enlarged so I'm not rattling my exhaust against it while idling. 

Poor things :(

1N54f7.jpg

Started on the rear end for a few hours tonight and got the axles and driveshaft off and loosened up the mustache bar nuts. Moved on to the other 4 mounting bolts on the diff but they're seriously in there. Hit them with some liquid wrench and going to tackle them in the morning with the air gun, don't want to round off or snap those guys.

The good old "while it's apart" method.

For not much more effort, seeing at it will all be apart, why not a set of camber/toe adjusters from datsport or similar

I did look at them but have other things i'd like to get first and only have so much money haha.

Got a good chunk of work done today! Crossmember is out, control arms are off, and diff is out! 

zRVDkB.jpg

Was expecting everything to put up much more of a fight, only issues I ran into were some seized bolts holding the diff in but with enough persuasion and heat was able to pound them out or grind them flush.

77VlT5.jpg

Tomorrow I'll work at removing the mustache bar from the diff, fitting the stub axles into the r180, and hitting the crossmember with a wire wheel to clean it up. Hopefully find someone local to enlarge the exhaust hole too

Brought my crossmember with me to work today and spent the day cleaning it up and pressing the old bearings out. Only a handful of us there since it's March break so able to work my own stuff. Might get the crossmember sandblasted by a co worker if there's time tomorrow. When i got home went to work on the diffs, took the old r160 stubs out, pressed the axle studs out of them and went to change the driveshaft flange but my cheap impact wouldn't budge the nut... Guess that's coming with me to work tomorrow as well haha. 

Crossmember all cleaned up and waiting on primer/paint

WcA9A8.jpg

The old crusty r160 next to the slightly newer, slightly less crusty R180. It'll be getting cleaned up and painted too

15Nhws.jpg

Another day another update! 

Didn't bring my diffs with me to work since I didn't want diff oil all over the back of my car, going to sign out one of the heavy duty impacts and bring it home Monday to get the input flanges off. Was able to get the mustache bar bushings pressed out and then sandblasted and pressed my axle studs into the stub axles. I order my set through T3 and there was no way those studs were going in with anything other than a hydraulic press, VERY tight fit. 

Everything all finished up

[v6lG02.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Everything is all back together for the moment with a few small things left to do, just bleed the brakes, fill the diff, and reconnect the exhaust

EYxJyx.jpg

Also prepping the 620 to travel to my new place so I can finally work on it once I get back from Alberta. Engine choice has been narrowed down but don't want to let that cat out of the bag yet :wink:

• 3 weeks later...
Thought I'd throw up some of the toys I'm getting to play with while away for work, a 40+ litre 1500hp V12

Was finishing up changing a hydraulic line in this pic. The cooling system and transmission/engine are all a easily changeable unit. 

qweMNN.jpg

And since they weigh over 11 tons need quite the engine crane to pull them out

7zwz8Z.jpg

In Datsun news bought some rear coilovers from T3 and am really looking into some brakes next.

• 1 month later...
finally back and did some small things to the 510, threw the t3 rear coilovers on and currently dialling them in. Went for a good long drive and had them settle a little in this pic, need to raise them back up slightly now

WOfSEp.jpg

Next on the list is to throw the wilwoods on, this is my first set of real brakes, quite the difference just visually

WGrJ1V.jpg

And in other news finally got the 620 home and plan to start tearing into that soon

Kfaw3a.jpg

Cool brakes. What size are those rotors and your wheels?

They're 10 1/4 inch rotors, i could probably have moved up to 12" but it would have been close and i was away for work when i ordered them and had no way of measuring my wheels to be 100% sure so went with them just to be safe. My wheels are 14" SSR MKIIs

• 4 weeks later...
Finally got the Wilwoods on and took the car for a drive with a buddy, feels good to actually drive it again!

DtyNfl.jpg

Went to a little meet around town in a huge parking lot, all the young guys with new cars at one end and the older guys at the other end with their classics. We parked in the middle and had a good mix of everyone coming over to see them, cool how everyone seems to love the Datsuns.

X9TKi1.jpeg

iTVWbO.jpeg

Also have to go through this thread and fix all my PhotoJunk links :(

• 1 month later...

Been awhile since I updated this thread, took the car to a local show and ended up with an award.

DFjJTW.jpg

Not exactly the kind everyone would like to get Haha, wish it was worded more towards a rat rod theme like they explained it but oh well, still looks good on the shelf.

And because I can't leave well enough alone looking into a new engine for the car. Love the long rod but want something with a little more driveability, something with efi that I can take on long rides and not be worried about.

Have a certain engine in mind but we'll see what happens.

Well went on a pretty good drive to pick up the engines yesterday, a 16 hour round trip to Montreal and back.

Unloaded them from the truck this morning and finally got a picture of them

xLWqT0.jpg

A SR20DE and FWD SR20VE. Going to swap the VE head onto the DE bottom end for some high rpm fun with some beefy internals for the DE. Probably do cams and springs in the head to make it a little wilder too.

• Like 1