71 2 Door from Atlantic Canada

• Replies 234
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Haven't really decided yet. I've read that I'll have to look for some specialty oil or something with the correct additives so that I don't wear out my cam.

I run Valvoline VR1 synthetic racing oil in my Datsun racing engines. It's the only oil I've found with real zinc added to it. Four racing seasons at 6000 to 8000 rpms and never a damaged or worn out internal engine part. I swear by it.

O'Reilly auto carries it.

Been driving the car whenever i can and it's been getting a crazy amount of attention, came out from the grocery store the other day and found a few highschool guys taking pictures of it who then started asking all sorts of questions, they actually knew what it was which really surprised me.

U Joints arrived so I'll go about swapping out the bad one soon and hopefully get my l20 out to the shop to get bored to fit my z22 pistons. A buddy of mine keeps filling my head with terrible notions of going modern and swapping in a KA which I'm kind of toying with. KA's are dirt cheap around here (engine/trans/ecu and accessories $300-$500) where just boring the l20 would cost more than that, still need lash pads, clutch/flywheel, and probably some new jets for the webber if i go the 2.1 route. Decisions decisions.

And a few pics from the other day

PSX_20150515_213957.jpg

PSX_20150515_190955.jpg

• Like 1

Took both cars to a local show over the long weekend and was very surprised at all the attention the 510 was getting, the mustang must have been getting pretty jealous haha.

I expected to hear the typical "wow haven't seen one of these in years" comments or the "I used to have one of these" which i heard tons of but had quite a few people mention how much they liked the ratty look of it or in general really liked the car. Even had 5 or 6 people say that it was their favorite car there out of the 200+ that showed up and were voting it for people's choice, one guy also kept asking me if i wanted to sell it lol.

Once the show was done pulled the car into the garage and went about swapping out the U-Joints. Picked up a u joint press on sale a few months ago so finally put it to use and man is it a slick tool. Did one axle in the evening and then next morning got the other and the driveshaft done, everyhing cleaned up and the car on the road in a couple hours. I was expecting way worse of a time!

Up next might fiddle with a set of SU carbs i have laying around since my stock one is acting up a little, change the rear end fluid, and get it inspected now that the u joint is fixed. I'm starting to run out of things to do..

• 3 weeks later...

A few updates

Started checking over my SU's and found out that they have no gaskets, with that happening i started looking into the edelbrock intake and holley carb i have laying around. Took them both out to a local guy who shortened my driveshaft for me and hopefully will be picking up an adapter to mount the two together tomorrow.

Picked up my bored l20b from the engine shop yesterday after getting it bored, hot tanked, and the z22 pistons mounted on the z20 rods. This time specifically told them not to paint the block (they just painted it black last time) so i can paint it the proper light blue. Will start building it up in the next few days, just waiting on my gasket kit/z22 head gasket, and a new timing set. Going to try and combine the z22 and l20b gasket so i don't have to go purchase one of those crazy expensive big bore l20b ones but we'll see what happens.

And finally taking the car on it's first big road trip this weekend, theres a show about 250km away that a good friend is going to with his RHD SR20 510 that just got running (he's got a build thread on here) so we're trying to get the both of them to it. With maybe half a dozen 510s in the maritimes they'll probably be the only ones there.....If mine doesn't blow up on the highway, fingers crossed :hmm:  

Glad to say the car made it to the show and back with only a minor problem the day I arrived. While driving there the alternator adjustment bolt worked itself loose causing the alternator to not fully charge the battery at highway speeds. Adjusted it and everything went fine since!

My buddies SR powered 510 ended up not being able to make it to the show since his fuel pump crapped out on us while we were cruising the night before, still ended up going to the show with him but with his V8 RWD Cavalier instead.

We were able to grab some pictures together before his fuel pump went though

20150605_203945.jpg

20150605_204020.jpg

A pic with a couple other local guys with a imported WRX STI and a Mazdaspeed 3

20150605_214109.jpg

My buddy was selling some really nice wheels and tires that didn't fit on his stock fendered 510 (13x7 +0) so we tried them on mine, turns out my fenders are pulled a little more than I though because they just tuck inside with no rubbing at all. Even on the 510 strut tubes up front.

20150608_094316.jpg

A cool pic of the 13km long bridge that connects the island to the mainland

20150608_094134.jpg

• Like 1

Bought a roll of cork today and made up some gaskets for my SU's and was just about to install them when i double checked and noticed there's no floats or valves that go above the float in them either haha. Not sure if I should even bother with them or just buy a jet kit and jet the weber 40s I have down to match the l16 since the only floats I've found so far are $40 each :/

• 2 weeks later...

Gasket kit came in today so starting throwing the motor together. Right off the bat this kit is 100x better than the one I picked up for my l16 and right around the same price, very happy with it!

Spent most the evening throwing the bottom end together so am now at the point of needing a big bore headgasket. Going to see if I can find a Nismo one, if not I'll probably make one using the z22e and l20b ones.

My adapter should be finished tomorrow for my edelbrock intake and holley carb so I'll hopefully have something to keep me busy for the next bit!

20150626_223433.jpg

• Like 2

Finally have a working carb on the motor!

Got my adapter plate back from the shop but found that it still needed a ton of work, enlarged the center cutout so my carb could actually go full throttle and now my car will actually idle lower than 2000+ rpm without dying. Doesn't look too bad sitting there either!

20150702_171435.jpg

• Like 1

Went to the atlantic nationals in moncton this weekend for the first time and it was absolutely crazy close to 2000 cars there! Every time I walked around found something that I hadnt seen before. Me and a friend (Sycklash on here) went together with our 510s and got a ton of attention, partly because of how opposite they are. Had a great time and 100% will be going back.

20150712_111029.jpg

20150712_091615.jpg

20150712_091555.jpg

20150711_143834.jpg

20150711_151632.jpg

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Finally got home to unbox my manifold! Put it on my frankenmotor just for taking pics, don't think the turbo and 10.5:1 compression would go well together haha. Now just need to get on the go building a turbo motor out of my 3rd l20b block and the ported open chamber head I have laying around, Forged internals and the whole 9 yards!

IMG_20150801_202820.jpg

Also found another 510 from PEI, he just bought his from off island so now there's two of us here, his is gutted and an sr20.

20150801_111017.jpg

• Like 3
  • 2 weeks later...

Got the last few major things buttoned up on the new motor today, went about finding my proper valve lash and set the timing! Also ordered my lash pads and a ka24e oil pump to handle the extra demand my spraybar will cause. My new chain tensioner should be here in the next few days so I can swap out the chewed up one that's on the motor now so I could check the wipe pattern. My buddy possibly has a roadster clutch still in the box with matching flywheel so might pick them up to finish the whole thing off. Hopefully have this together before winter!

And my valve cover freshly painted

IMG_20150815_164420.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Well the motor is finished and it's time to swap this thing in. My buddy had a NOS roadster pressure plate, clutch, and an old flywheel sitting around that I picked up along with a header. Turns out the header is for an l16 (hits the block ear so I assume that's the problem) but everything else is good to go, just took the flywheel and pressure plate to an engine shop to be cleaned up and prepped. Once that's back I'll be swapping in the long rod, very excited to see how this motor runs!

20150829_181818.jpg

Pic of the NOS goodness

20150902_143102.jpg

• Like 1

Out with the old and in with the new! Pulled the l16 today and got every last little thing finished up on the long rod, should be swapping it in tomorrow or the first of the week hopefully. L16 came out with no problems at all, working at it by myself had the motor/trans out and on the floor in 3 hours and that includes getting the car into the garage and everything set up, now if only I could do it all in reverse in the same time lol

20150904_120048.jpg

Going to clean up some gunk in the engine bay from where the l16 was leaking a little oil, the gasket kit I picked up for it was total garbage and can't be compared to the nicer one i got for the 2.1.

• Like 1

The long rod is in! Got her all buttoned up and tried starting it but my poor little stock starter just couldn't handle the 10.5:1 compression and stiff isky springs. After turning it over pretty slowly the solenoid heated up enough to burn me when I checked it, swapped starters and the starter motor did the same on my 2nd starter. When I took the plugs out and tried it there were no problems at all turned over just like it should. Now just need a nice gear reduction starter!

20150906_170217.jpg