Warning do not buy from user Alegria! Got screwed on an Optima

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

well I tried to copy and past the pm,s I have received from him and it doesn't work
the seller speaks better English then he types I DON'T KNOW WHY
Anyone who knows me or Dguy knows we are not out to screw anyone we buy and sell all the time and I always try to make sure the customer is happy
I have in fact given refunds on parts because the part wasn't what the buyer thought even though pics were sent

I WILL NEVER DO BUSINESS WITH ALGERIA AGAIN;at least one of the batteries was good
I never want sales or purchases to end this way but this was dragged on for the last 2 swaps and he showed up at my booth un expected because he never returned recent PM,s about bringing it to the swap
Dguy and myself were accused of bringing back a different battery then the one we purchased which is not the case I DONT KNOW HOW HE SUPPOSEDLY MARKS THEM BUT THIS IS AS GOD IS MY WITNESS THE BATTERY THAT WAS PURCHASED FROM HIM

If you decide to purchase from him buy at your own risk
when I figure out how to publicize the PM,s they will be posted here

I'm not interested in getting involved here. But I fucking love my Optima. Bought it in 06 or 07. Red top. Alternator died. But daily driver. I took it apart to fix it, but failed. So I mailed the alternator to Washington to get it rebuilt by the guy who built it. Got it back and put it in. All the while, the car ran without an alternator for six weeks. This was our only car, and we both held full time jobs. We charged the battery every few nights. Epic battery. I've hated every other battery I've owned. I only buy Optima. My forklift was not starting. We spent several hundreds of dollars on forklift mechanics and a new battery with very limited, and short lives success. As a last ditch effort, I bought an Optima. It's started without fail every time for two years since. These batteries make life worth living.

Ps. If you need to save a marriage, buy an Optima vibrator. She will never leave home again...

• Like 1

I didn't read through all the drama. Just wondering why the battery is no good. I have 3 Optima's. One is from the early 90's. (Remember the commercial where they shot it with a gun, and it still started the car?) I have ran that thing flat dead at least 6 times. The other 2 are 4 yrs old.

One thing I was told (at an Optima seminar) is if an Optima is ran below 10 volts, it will not want to take a charge. You have to jumper them to a standard battery and hook the charger to that. Don't ask me why, but it works. Hook it up that way and let it soak for awhile.

Just wondering why the battery is no good. I have 3 Optima's. One is from the early 90's. (Remember the commercial where they shot it with a gun, and it still started the car?) I have ran that thing flat dead at least 6 times. The other 2 are 4 yrs old.

That's why your's are good. They ones made a while ago were great.

Starts my sister's KIA every time.

I am going to add my two cents here  Optimas were great batteries the the company move it's production to Mexico and quality control went down hill fast. But this rant is not about the battery it is about a person honoring their word. After I read the buyers story here is my view on the problem.

1. No matter what never buy a battery from a person always buy from a store or battery supplier.(this was you first problem )

2. I you buy a battery from a private seller test it right in front of them. either  put it in yours and start it or have a battery tester. ( this way the two of you know it is good.)

3. Last but not least do a search of the persons user name to see if there have been problems with deals before .( I do this quite often)

As someone who has bought an absolute truckload of optima batteries over the years due to some of the odd crap I build and needing to mount a battery on it's side. I cannot say I have ever had one just go completely useless. I will say that over the past 10 years or so. some of them have been far from great with what they deliver. Like the one in my drag truck, if the engine does not fire in just a couple turns, forget it, that is all the battery is good for. They have been good about replacing them, but, I keep getting the same result. I can chuck an 12 year old lead acid battery in it and it spins over like it has no plugs in the engine. The winch on my old Ford truck, I bought one to just run the winch, nothing else. If I run all the line out of it and then try to wind it back on with no load on the line (truck not running) it will croak before I can get it all on the reel. That one is on it's third replacement. Years ago (as many have said) this was not at all the case. I won't be buying anymore personally, but I will keep making them replace them until they won't anymore. I figure sooner or later, I'll get a good one on accident.

I have a red top from around 2002 in my DD, and it has never given me an issue.  I had an newer red top about 3 years ago in my 521, and it ended up exactly like the OP's - it would "charge" to 12v, but would then barely start my 521 if at all, and if it sat for a few days wouldn't start at all (no drain in the system).  Replaced it with a different Superstart AGM battery and no problems since.

If you bought from a store for there's a warranty isn't there? Isn't there a serial number on it or something a store can identify it from, if being returned?

So when you buy a battery from someone for $140, didn't you get some kind of warranty with it? How does it work when you have a problem with it?

• Like 2

Ah when Deals go bad , I sold a Dellorto carb and intermittent wiper kit to a guy with a really nice orange 1200 4 years ago now, saw him at Canby in 2012 he told me the carb was shit and the wiper kit didn't work so I refunded him there and then on the promise he would get the parts back to me... Still waiting for the parts

Anyone know this guy? He is about 50 and 4 feet tall really nice 2 door orange sedan

I was going to make this same point, but got caught up with my own experiences with batteries.With something like this, that I may have an issue returning, to me, it's worth about half price of what it would be at a retail store. Hindsight being 20/20 and all, I have made this half price decision based on having similar things happen. 

I have a Yellow top and its great in My Cherokee. Maybe a its a early oneHad a Red top and lasted only 2 yrs. I killed it by leaving the lights on.

Went to Walmart boiught a USA made 80$ at least 750 CCA Battery and never looked back.

Buy batteries from a store.

as for the selling of Datsun parts. If your buying from another Datsun owner Remember your buying "As Is" No matter what the seller says. Unless its brand new from the store.

As Rick Rat stated.

When I buy its silver prices.

Sell to a Ratsun so called buddy(thinking your helping a guy out) for Copper prices.

he looses his job,needs money and the part turns in to Gold prices.

• Like 1

as for the selling of Datsun parts. If your buying from another Datsun owner Remember your buying "As Is" No matter what the seller says. Unless its brand new from the store.

As Rick Rat stated.

When I buy its silver prices.

Sell to a Ratsun so called buddy(thinking your helping a guy out) for Copper prices.

he looses his job,needs money and the part turns in to Gold prices.

that goes for most collector cars

yes i sold 2 BRANDNEW BATERYS at the swapme the batery he brigs to change is a USED WHIT MARKS OF THE STRAPS AND RUST BATERY MAYBE HE BUY TiME AGO OR HE FUND IN TRASH CAN I DONT NO .  BUT HE TRY TO GER A NEW FROM ME. if he bring the batery i sold i am hapy to change no problem he an his wife try to ofend ME wen i show up to trade the batery an now look peaple  is the ofended

I think you may have me slightly confused with Ranman, as that is his wife. I'm the tall fat bald dude with glasses.

this person try to ply smart but at the end is a dom player

com on me at lese if you clen up the batery a litle tha give to me another impresion but you bring the batery exacly the way you take out

Refering to this post above I'm not sure this is even relevant.

Anyways: Please let me know if I’ve misinterpreted your posts, they are a bit hard to decipher.

Either you did mark it or you did not mark it.

You say you marked it.

You claimed it was not your battery because you did not see the mark.

So did you merely say it wasn’t your battery because it was dirty/had marks on the terminal from being put in a car?

Or did you lie about marking the battery?

Or did you see your marking on the battery and decide to lie about it being your battery.

Help me understand which of these it is, either way you are being dishonest. Which lie do you want me to believe? This was the battery you sold me so which part of your statement is wrong?

However, now you are saying that it was dirty because it had been mounted in the car. This is irrelevant, but this is basically the first thing you do when you get a battery, this is exactly what I said I did. I put it in the car when I got it home only to find it was no good, I also tried charging it, after which it went over to Ranman’s house so he could take it back down to Eagle Rock to meet up with you. This all happened within a couple of days of it coming to Sacramento, this is when you were messaged, basically as soon as it was determined to be dead. I repeat, you were contacted about this problem within a week of the sale.

So, yes the battery which does not work and has traveled to Eagle Rock 3 or 4 times in an attempt to meetup with you is now dirty. If I had known this was going to cause you to claim it wasn't your battery I would have wiped it off with a rag first. Shouldn’t matter anyways though as it is DEAD, cosmetics don’t affect the function. Yes it had marks on the terminals from being tested and dust from sitting around and being transported back and forth to LA. The only reason I can see the cosmetic being an issue is if you wanted to resale it as brand new again, otherwise if the battery is DEAD it is just getting recycled anyways.

Either way, I believe this is all an excuse, none of your actions have indicated you had any intention of swapping it out.

The battery being dirty is irrelavent. The only relevant thing is 1) the battery is dead 2) this is the battery you sold me.

So please let me know which of your statements is a lie, because right now what you are saying is contradictory.