Warning do not buy from user Alegria! Got screwed on an Optima

Warning do not buy from user Alegria!
He is not to be trusted.
Real name: Salvador Alegria ph#(909) 856-0343 from Winchester Ca. His picture and blue ’66 520 are posted below.
f59bf3ff-0da8-4440-9c37-32d3e2c128a4_zps

Short version:
Bought a supposedly new optima blue top from Alegria but the battery was bad.
Alegria said he would replace it but when he finally looked at it claimed it was a different battery I had gotten out of the trash and that I was trying to screw him over.

Long version:
Bought a supposedly brand new Optima blue top (SC34DM) from Alegria at the July 21st 2013 Eagle Rock swapmeet. He had posted these on the thread for that meet:

http://community.ratsun.net/topic/56012-eagle-rock-datsun-nippon-swap-meet-and-car-show-21st-july-2013/page-2?do=findComment&comment=954583

He had several of the blue tops and had been talking to Ranman72 earlier whom I had ridden down to LA with, so Ranman told me about the battery and I went and bought the last one he had for $140 these normally run about $160-180 so it seemed like a good deal, but not too good to be ture.  Ranman also bought one and that battery was fine. Got back to Sacramento the next day and quickly found out the battery was bad when I put it in the car. It would read 12v but could barely engage the starter and would quickly drop to ~9v, I went through a couple of iterations of trying to get it take a charge, and it would appear to charge to 12v but had no actual capacity (yes I know how to charge an Optima). Alegria was contacted by Ranman as he had been in contact with him before and Alegria agreed to replace the battery at the next Eagle Rock. Fast forward he kept in contact with Ranman but couldn’t make the next 2 Eagle Rock swapmeets but kept saying he would make good on it. Contacted him through Ranman again before this Eagle Rock and he didn’t respond to the pm’s. Ran into him at this Eagle Rock and showed him the battery. He claimed I was ripping him off and had brought back a different old used battery. He stated he “laser etched” the battery to mark it and that this was a different battery that I had found in the trash and had obviously been used for a long time. The only marks on this battery were from installing it in the car once and from trying to charge it and he was contacted about it being bad only a couple days after it was sold, after which he appeared to duck any chances of meeting up at the swapmeet.

As you can imagine I’m not so happy about this outcome. First I’m out the money of the battery, but to be jerked around on this for months that he would replace it and then being accused of trying to screw him over while he lies to my face is just too much. Please note us even running into him at the meet was chance as he had stopped responding to any attempts at contact and there was not even an attempt at meeting halfway on the replacement or anything when I talked to him in person. Following this and us getting back to Sacramento there have been several other pms from this individual which I will post up if it is warranted here.

I would have preferred to have the battery swapped out for a good one but apparently Slavador Alegria's word is worthless. As new Optimas have a warranty which covers these problems (and he states these are NEW) us returning him the battery should not have been an issue if these had been legitimately purchased. However, I suspect he may have gotten these as “returns” someplace and therefore did not have the warranty.

The correct solution for Salvador at this point is to immediately refund the money ($140) on the battery and demonstrate that this is merely a misunderstanding and that he is an honest seller. I would be glad to make sure the battery gets into his hands at the next Eagle Rock as had been previously discussed.

Info on Alegria:
Real name Salvador Alegria

Ph# (909) 856-0343
Lives in Winchester Ca.
1966 520 with A14 swap single sidedraft
IMG_20130721_093158_253_zps27e543c8.jpg

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow!! This is not good. I know

Salvador, He seems like a good guy. I hope you get this figured out.

I freakin hate the Optima battery. Piece of shit if you want my opnion. I've had at least three of them fail.

Sad thing is they cost alot of dough, And are no better than a cheap battery.

• Like 2

Old optimas were great batteries, before the company was bought out, my old optima finally died after like 12 -15 years in my purple 510, i went through 2 new optimas having to return them due to issues. Miss the old optima :(

Not to say you weren't ripped off, but i would like to add in here that the blue top in this instance is being used in an improper application. I'm sure it'll still work well for a while as your friends did, if it was a good battery. The blue top is a marine deep cycle battery. The red top is a starting battery (higher CCA lower RC) and the yellow top is a good accessories battery (lower CCA higher RC)

• Like 1

Not to say you weren't ripped off, but i would like to add in here that the blue top in this instance is being used in an improper application. I'm sure it'll still work well for a while as your friends did, if it was a good battery. The blue top is a marine deep cycle battery. The red top is a starting battery (higher CCA lower RC) and the yellow top is a good accessories battery (lower CCA higher RC)

This is the Marine dual-purpose battery which is specifically stated by Optima as being for starting applications also, CCA is 750, RC 120. The seller actual runs the same battery on the same engine (A14) as I had intended so this is not an issue.

• Like 1

Wow!! This is not good. I know

Salvador, He seems like a good guy. I hope you get this figured out.

That was my initial impression as well when I bought the battery, which is why I was surprised how this ended up playing out.

man Grayson sorry to hear that, it really sucks when someone in a community pulls shady crap.

I hope it all works out ... or at the very least.... someone that knows him, calls him on it. 

On the flip side... for awhile now I've been buying ALL my batteries car or MC from Battery World on Auburn Blvd at Greenback. They're good dudes with GREAT customer service & prices. They've always been really good to me & I don't hesitate to recommend them to anyone.

I buy Interstate batteries. The first one I ever owned was 3 years old when I got it and I didn't replace for another 6.5yrs. Even then it was working but getting weak.

The Optimas I've owned haven't lasted like that, or like they should for the price.

I guess if you need a sealed battery to mount upside down or something, but otherwise there are better batteries for a lot less $$

• Like 1

yes i sold 2 BRANDNEW BATERYS at the swapme the batery he brigs to change is a USED WHIT MARKS OF THE STRAPS AND RUST BATERY MAYBE HE BUY TiME AGO OR HE FUND IN TRASH CAN I DONT NO .  BUT HE TRY TO GER A NEW FROM ME. if he bring the batery i sold i am hapy to change no problem he an his wife try to ofend ME wen i show up to trade the batery an now look peaple  is the ofended

Some people just can't put forth the effort

I dunno, like perhaps...spelling and grammar maybe? Alright, we get it...but lets calm down a little and make sure what we type, can be understood by everyone else.

• Like 1

English may be his second language. Go easy.

I think he was responded with unbridled emotion. So, when his nubs when to pounding the keyboard, it took all he had just to make a smidgen of sense.

Your right, I apologize, I to can understand both sides here and the feelings pertained. Sorry, I did not mean to offend.

Hmm, I sell Optimas, personally I'm not a fan.  I've found our JCI NAPA batteries seem to last just fine.  As far as returning, if it was within 3 days of the sale, I can't imagine it getting any dirtier than when the original seller sold it to Dguy.  But then I'm just a passing traveler in this thread.