People putting $1.00 for their price

Driftease

What is the deal with people putting 1 dollar for their asking price on here and on craigs list, on here it is not so bad but on craigs if you are sorting by price you screen gets clogged up with a bunch of shit because fucking people are ass holes, if you want a dollar amount then put it down and stop waisting my time. This rant was started because the guy with the 280zx race car posted with one dollar, so I replied and what do you know he wants nowhere near a dollar. I didn't respond thinking that I was going to go buy it for a dollar, I have no interest in it. I just sent a message to see what he would say ( I do that often )   I dont understand what is accomplished by putting a lower price on there.

The same goes for ass holes that use a million keywords for A peice of shit civic or whatever to get it to come up under datsun BMW or even under motorcycles, IF I WANT A CIVIC I WOULD SEARCH FOR ONE. then shoot myself in the head cause I would have to take some real bad paths in life to have to buy one of those. 

• Like 3
  • Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree. I search craigslist all the time for "datsun" and because of those fuckin key words people put on there everything pops up from civics to new fords feom dealerships. And why do people put $1? If I am looking for a $500 beater then sure your ad might pop up for your $15k mercedes but I am not going to buy it. And all you have done is exclude yourself from people trying to not see $500 beaters by putting in a min price.

• Like 1

How to filter your searches.

Basically all you have to do to avoid this is type your search let say nissan 280zx -$1.00 and poof they the $1.00 items should disapear for you.  Same thing but different Nissan truck 720 -4x4 -V6 -2013 that should remove all the 4x4 and V6's and that year out of your search.

You can learn more if you learn a little about boolean algebra, but for basic search the above hints should help you out.

Best,

Doesn't work for me on Craigslist. What does work is to fill in the Price min box. I put 2 in there and all the $1 listings disappeared.

Basically all you have to do to avoid this is type your search let say nissan 280zx -$1.00 and poof they the $1.00 items should disapear for you.

Here is whatever, but On Craigslist I flag the damn ad. It is mostly on cars, usually some damn shady used car lot and the real price is way too high. It is not only annoying but against Craislist's rules. Assholes need to put a REAL price. I say the rules should state if you put $1 on it, then that that is all you should get!

• Like 3

It's not so much the 1 dollar thing with me on CL, but it falls into the same category, the "make offer" thing. It's not a bidding site. Just figure out what the fuck you want for it, or even go high and put OBO next to the price, that way I have an idea if you're insane or might be worth my time to deal with.

• Like 1

I find that "$1" thing on CL annoying too- about as annoying as reserve auctions (just put the freaking minimum as the starting price!).   And the keyword spam as well.  What I do to search CL is put realistic price ranges in the search, and check the "title only" seach checkbox.    CL has a Make/Model field that can narrow it down too, though I found it doesn't always work the way I expected it to.

• Like 1

Since we are bitching...another thing that drives me batshit is when I am selling something, then I will talk to a guy on the phone about what it is I am selling and he has zero questions or even anything to say at all, just sits there in silence. I have had this happen so many times that I hate calling people...but I still do it, just in case.

Being in business for myself f

Since we are bitching...another thing that drives me batshit is when I am selling something, then I will talk to a guy on the phone about what it is I am selling and he has zero questions or even anything to say at all, just sits there in silence. I have had this happen so many times that I hate calling people...but I still do it, just in case..

being in business for myself for 15 years I know exactly what you are talking about, it means they are not serious. Another thing to watch out for is a crocodile smile, a friend told me about it and now I swear by it, its a toothy sideways smile. I've seen it twice on clients and both times it ended up with a full on I'm gonna fuck you over. I still stay up late punching my pillow thinking about this piles of shit that wore the crock smile, you'll know it when you see it. The $1 move is an old used car trick, also watch out for "barn find" , thats a flipper for sure.

• Like 1

Or, equally as bad is.... "Ford truck 4 sale, call." with no picture, just that. 

Either these type of people are astonishingly dim, or they think they are really slick and once they have you on the phone can swindle you into buying it. This is a real sore spot for me personally, because for a VERY short time, I worked at a heavy equipment, asset management company. The rough idea here is that when a company can't pay its bank loan for, say a dump truck, back hoe, etc, the asset management company does all the shit the bank does not want to do. We go get the equipment back, clean it, fix it, store it on a lot, resell it for as much as we can and then take a cut of the bank's money for our service.

Simple enough right? well, one of the head guys there fancied himself some kind of super slick talking sales machine. In a company meeting, which we had WAY too fucking many of, I would make a suggestion that it may be a good idea to take some pictures of this stuff and list a few more details about it to maybe get people's interest up more. He was not interested in such nonsense. Next month when we still were not selling shit, I brought it up again as a suggestion and he had just had enough of it and was going to cut me down to size in from of everyone.

He looked at me and said "do you even know what an ad is for?" He actually wanted me to answer and just stared at me. So, I said "to sell stuff?" He shouts "WRONG, it's to get people in here, bla bla bla" he went into some long line of fancy bullshit and thought he had fully made me seem a fool. I said, "okay, I see, so what you're saying we are not trying to sell anything, we just want a bunch of people milling the the fuck around in here then" I then exploded in a red faced, vein in the neck showing rage, that was glorious, and at the same time, explaining to him that a 300 thousand dollar piece of equipment is not a candy bar at the fuckin Wal-mart that someone buys on impulse just because they are in the store, the words assclown and fuck face were peppered throughout this rant. I guess these guys must have been used to dealing with khaki panted salesmen and not a 20 year Marine, because I had never seen so much terror in a room of grown men before. 

I quit before I could be fired, the business crashed and burned, but really, it was a strong idea, as long as you could manage to sell something.

FML thread. $1. (or best offer) Barn find, haven't time to fix this POS and tired of having it in the way all the time. Runs on or diesels and I can't stop it.. maybe you can. Someone come get it and clear coat it. Great for taking to a quarry and shot holes in it.

Tag words:

honda, JDM, turbo, 240sx, drift, Toyota, F&F, rice, wide body, flairs, camber, dotsun, nitrous, redneck, six toes, BOV,

• Like 2