What are you listening to???

• Replies 7.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Yes is way over due, to bad the group did not make it last year before Chris Squire died. I might watch the show just to see what the band says about him.

Who is getting admitted almost from the start has been an issue. A.Franklin, Hank Williams, Miles Davis,..All greats in there own right. But it should not be Rock & Roll. but Soul, Country and Western, and Jazz,...this year, Joan should have folk music. Or get someone to change the name to the music hall of fame, Open it up to more forms of music.

• Like 1

Yes is way over due, to bad the group did not make it last year before Chris Squire died. I might watch the show just to see what the band says about him.

Who is getting admitted almost from the start has been an issue. A.Franklin, Hank Williams, Miles Davis,..All greats in there own right. But it should not be Rock & Roll. but Soul, Country and Western, and Jazz,...this year, Joan should have folk music. Or get someone to change the name to the music hall of fame, Open it up to more forms of music.

I agree, it should be the music hall of fame. The following is an excerpt from Ice Cube's speech when NWA was inducted last year, he makes a good point.

“You goddamn right we rock and roll. Rock and roll is not an instrument, rock and roll is not even a style of music. Rock and roll is a spirit. It’s a spirit. It’s been going since the blues, jazz, bebop, soul, R&B, rock and roll, heavy metal, punk rock, and yes, hip-hop. And what connects us all is that spirit. That’s what connects us all, that spirit. Rock and roll is not conforming to the people who came before you, but creating your own path in music and in life.”

Hip Hop and rock have been intertwined for decades, from the Beastie Boys to Run DMCA/Aerosmith with walk this way, Anthrax/public enemy with bring the noise, Ice Cube/Korn with children of the corn, to all the NuMetal in the late 90s early 2000s.

• Like 1

Personally I couldn't give a flying fart what the commercial establishment says about any musicians's worthiness of their recognition. WTF has that got to do with the spirit of rock or what it stands for? NOTHING! Any legitimacy that 30 year old "institution" might have had went up in flames when they inducted Malcolm McLaren's fucking fashion $ boy band the Sex Pistols and not the New York Dolls. Fucked that one clean up a tree. It's all a contrived publicity vehicle for the music industry, just like the Oscars are for Hollywood. I know what I like and that's all validation I need to know about music. 

• Like 1