What are you listening to???

• Replies 7.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Conventional wisdom states that rock 'n roll is dead.

I say good and good riddance to rock 'n roll's fake rebellion and nihilism lite.

These guys do a good job though;

By conventional wisdom, are you suggesting such thing exists, and if so does that imply some kind of objective truth?

Rock is and always has been a dynamic genre that has taken many unique forms, and has given many artists a platform to make comments on society. Real or fake, people respond to sentiment, anger, romance, heartbreak, rebellion, and nihilism throughout history and in many other genres of music from classical to rap. 

I say if you want real music, kill the music industry.

By conventional wisdom, are you suggesting such thing exists, and if so does that imply some kind of objective truth?

Rock is and always has been a dynamic genre that has taken many unique forms, and has given many artists a platform to make comments on society. Real or fake, people respond to sentiment, anger, romance, heartbreak, rebellion, and nihilism throughout history and in many other genres of music from classical to rap. 

I say if you want real music, kill the music industry.

I am not writing about other forms of music, that is all yours.

Conventional wisdom vis a vis the music industry and its' practitioners and profiteers.

"Rock n roll" defined as a blues based music form lifted wholesale for the most part from the black man by white people for commodification.

That vein is tapped out, not too much to be done there which is not recycled ad nauseum.

Black people were smart though, you ain't gonna see too many whiteys ripping off hip-hop 'cause they look ridiculous when they do.

I am not writing about other forms of music, that is all yours.

Conventional wisdom vis a vis the music industry and its' practitioners and profiteers.

"Rock n roll" defined as a blues based music form lifted wholesale for the most part from the black man by white people for commodification.

That vein is tapped out, not too much to be done there which is not recycled ad nauseum.

Black people were smart though, you ain't gonna see too many whiteys ripping off hip-hop 'cause they look ridiculous when they do.

I'm not arguing that Rock didn't come from blues music, or any social injustice about that, but are you saying there can't be more than one form of commodified popular music? And Hip Hop, Rap, Country, or R&B aren't recycled ad nauseam? Personally I give no credence to what the music industry, it's practitioners and profiteers have to say about what I like to listen to. 

So let's share what we're listening to.