Tow hitch for a 720?

xsdg

Hey, y'all.  I've got an '85 720 RWD, and I'd love to get a class I or class II tow hitch on it just for pulling small stuff or light stuff around (also, as a rear tie point, to help shuffle race cars and whatnot).  Any suggestions?

Mine is a base model with no rear bumper.  I'm still looking for a bumper for it, but haven't found anything yet.  Any suggestions for places to look or alternate vehicle models that should fit would be appreciated.

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know if you can find a hitch specifically made for the truck considering it's age, most stuff has been discontinued long ago. Your best bet is to get a bumper and install a hitch ball on it. That should be good enough.

Mine is a base model with no rear bumper.

They all have to have bumpers on when sold. The stock bumper is a poor choice for mounting a ball, they are thin, not re-enforced and mostly for looks. I your bumper has been removed then half the work is done. Just about anything can be welded or bolted on.

Sounds like the common answer is to find something close and mod it to fit, or to just go full custom.  Will keep that in mind.

If anyone has a good lead on where to start for a retrofit (or for a bumper to go alongside), I'm all ears.  I definitely want a bumper, as the truck previously sustained a rear impact, and the roll pan is damaged to the point where I can't drop or raise the spare tire come-along.  Also, I'd prefer for the truck to not get totalled in a minor incident.

NissanNut: I'm pretty sure I've seen that picture before.  You did a Z24 carb->TBI retrofit, no?

They all have to have bumpers on when sold. The stock bumper is a poor choice for mounting a ball, they are thin, not re-enforced and mostly for looks. I your bumper has been removed then half the work is done. Just about anything can be welded or bolted on.

Maybe now, but not until the late 90's did trucks come with a rear bumper here in the US as standard equipment. Hell, I remember seeing as a kid a lot of pickups with a gaping hole or a cheap looking silver bumper with the dealer's name stamped into it on both sides. Or maybe laws were different in Canada where you are?

Stock bumper is good for 2000lbs.

At this weight, your GVW is maxed and braking is a bit critical.....I couldnt see stopping fast. I recently towed 2300lbs with mine from Charlotte NC to Atlanta....was all highway and I only had about 50lbs tounge weight so I chanced it. Left lots of room to stop.

You can find the plain painted bumpers at many junk yards, the chrome one is very rare and hard to find in good shape. It looks as though most 80s will interchange.

Sorry, wont sell mine :)