Leaf Springs

Why use lowering springs for a ford when you can use ones that were designed for a nissan. AIM industries makes them, i have them on my 620. Here is the catch, They centering pin moves the axle forward/backwards(cant remember) about 1.250". So i made 3/8" thick lowering blocks that have custom offset pins. Thus recentering the axle back to its original.

This does cause shock lenght problems though. And there are no shorter shocks available with our mounting designs, unless you turn them upside down. But a shock does not function properly when upside down.

I have a curiosity about 620/720 leaf springs. Will they interchange? Will 720 2wd and 4wd interchange? Not talking interchange as far as ride height, but rather will they bolt into place. Here is my question--620 leafs have a few inches of arch when installed in the truck. Same with a 2wd 720. However a 4wd 720 spring is nearly flat when installed, with the increased height coming from being mounted onto the top of the axle instead of the bottom like the 2wd trucks.

Is it possible that nissan made lowering springs for us, and we just need to swap them in?

Jason

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think a shock can work upside down if its monotube?

Well I looked around and found this... "Q: When can I run my shocks upside down?

Workman: Any gas-cell shock or gas-charged shock with a floater piston can be run upside down, right side up, or lying on its side. Almost all of the popular bearing-mount shocks on the market are this type. Some stock-mount shocks have to be run right side up; but, to mount in the stock location, you have to mount them right side up anyway."

I have a curiosity about 620/720 leaf springs. Will they interchange? Will 720 2wd and 4wd interchange? Not talking interchange as far as ride height, but rather will they bolt into place. Here is my question--620 leafs have a few inches of arch when installed in the truck. Same with a 2wd 720. However a 4wd 720 spring is nearly flat when installed, with the increased height coming from being mounted onto the top of the axle instead of the bottom like the 2wd trucks.

Is it possible that nissan made lowering springs for us, and we just need to swap them in?

Jason

620 and 720 springs are exactly the same length at 1,200mm.

'78 620 rear spring dimensions (in mm) all models.

1,200X60X7 Qty two

1,200X60X13 Qty one

Spring free arch....6.34"

(This is the same spring used on the '84 US 720 2wd)

The '84 Canadian 720 springs were stiffer:

1,200X60X7 Qty one

1,200X60X8 Qty one

1,200X60X12 Qty two

Spring free arch....5.20"

4X4 all '84

1,200X60X7 Qty one

1,200X60X8 Qty one

1,200X60X12 Qty one

Spring free arch....3.68"

I don't think this includes the big flat load carrying helper.

I think a shock can work upside down if its monotube?

Well I looked around and found this... "Q: When can I run my shocks upside down?

Workman: Any gas-cell shock or gas-charged shock with a floater piston can be run upside down, right side up, or lying on its side. Almost all of the popular bearing-mount shocks on the market are this type. Some stock-mount shocks have to be run right side up; but, to mount in the stock location, you have to mount them right side up anyway."

Price me out a bearing mount shock right quick, if its what i think it is, there is a reason you dont see these on a datsun.

Jason

Sorry Scott, of course you have a 521.

PL 521

1,200x60x7 Qty two

1,200X60X6 Qty two

1,200X60X12 Qty one

Spring free arch.... 5"

1,200x60x7 Qty two

1,200X60X6 Qty two

1,200X60X12 Qty one

WTF? I am surethat these are spring measurements, but not making sense to me. And must be metric?

Jason

620 and 720 springs are exactly the same length at 1,200mm.

This tells me that the 60 must be the width of the spring. I'm stuck on the 7,8, and 12. Could be the thickness of each spring and how many of them are in each pack, but, They are listed as 1200 in length. I figured they would be shorter.

Help us out here Mike.

• 1 year later...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.