sdsurf

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

521 and 620

'70-'73 L16 & L18 it's toward the rad

'74 L18 it's more or less 10 o'clock as viewed from the driver's fender.

'75-'80 L20B it's 180 to the above, about 4 o'clock.

Because distributors are swapped so much see Pac above.

The one with the marks is the main setting- when it is set at the center, that's supposed to correspond to the proper setting (based on the static advance) on the crank timing marks. Since it might be a bit off due to gear backlash, wear, manufactiring differences, etc, the small adjustment is there to set "zero".

ok I have 2 adjustment points on the distributor. one is for the retard/advance and the other is?

pics:

11-28.jpg

11-28 position

rotor-position.jpg

rotor position

dizzy-right1.jpg

Retard/advance adjustment?

dizzy-gauge1.jpg

adjustment for?

thanks for the help...

if you are referring to the adjustment bolt on the back of the distributor, this one will you more play to adjust your timing..it's an easy way to cheat if your TDC is off.

Its close enough to get it STARTED and Running then just dial it in w/ a timming light. if not enough adjustment then loosen THAT timming plate bolt up.

as for SDSURFS photos

that is the correct position of the spindal. But usually the rotor points to the front of the rad(so 180 of where its at) So I can only assume the lower tang on the dizzy was swapped out maybe when rebuilt or the oil spindal drive dimple was not used and he just re installing the spindal unit untill it came out in the 11.28 position but realy is off 180deg. But its no big deal. just make that plug #1 and go CCW 1 3 4 2 fire order and the timming plate is close to the center so you have enought movement once started and runnin gto use a timming light and set up to specs. Like 7-12deg BTDC on most cases

Hopefully I made myself clear...the location of rotor, which way is pointing, will depend on type of distributor, like L20 vs L16, I know if it's L16, it will point towards the front, that is the metal part and that part needs to lign up with #1 spark plug or else it will not fire up.

Send Hainz some money for his CD on L series build up and timing, it's really detailed...or you can watch the video.

ok I have 2 adjustment points on the distributor. one is for the retard/advance and the other is?

pics:

rotor position

dizzy-right1.jpg

Retard/advance adjustment?

thanks for the help...

is it possible for the distributor is in backwards? i know on my l20 this bolt is facing the rad not the firewall like this though if im reading the lable on the belt its an l 16 so i could be wrong

• Like 1