$$!??#%%! Fuel starvation when it's raining

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I was just about to say that same thing Mike. I have yet to experience the big hoopla of ethanol destroying everything. I have many cars, trucks and motorcycles, many which sit for months and I don't have carb gaskets eaten away, hoses rotted or anything different happen that did not happen to me 20 plus years ago. Now...race fuel, that's a different deal, you let that sit in a carb for 6 months, you will have a carb full of jello.

Back in the day when broke I would gas up my Bronco on payday. At work we had drums of alcohol solvent with a weird name like methyl ethyl ketone? used for thinning some printing inks, maybe it was called something else. Anyway I would scoop two gallons and add it to the 30 gal tank when filling to get more mileage. I replaced the fuel pump twice in that truck in the three years I had it and never made the connection. lultz.

I had an old pile of crap diesel pickup that I would pour pretty much anything that would catch fire into. A buddy of mine owned a transmission shop and I would pour in burnt ATF in it (after I filtered out the big chucks). It started off with me just adding a little, then pretty soon, I was running nothing but. 

Dropping the tank was way simpler than I thought. None of the bolts were frozen (??? Miracle?) and I had it drained and off under half an hour. I replaced the softline and shined up the sender contacts and harness plugs as well. Replaced the tank no problem, less than 2 hours total.

The old hose was definitely squishy and wierd. My new hose is bio and flex fuel rated so that should be that. I doubled up on clamps at each end just because.

Worked fine on Sunday. Monday it started acting up again. Yesterday it was worse. I stopped each time to check the filter, it's now totally full every time I check it, so that's something. Last night I replaced both carb hoses and checked the float bowl again and the needle valves again.

Both bowls full, needle valves seem to flow ok when I blow in em, and stop tight when I push on the needle. I wish I had that sight tube setup I saw at Canby, some guy made sight tubes for each bowl using tubes replacing the bowl's drain plug.

Today it is running like total shit and again the filter is full when I check it. At lunch I pulled over and let it idle it did the weirdest thing yet. It would idle fine with the WO2 showing 13 for about five seconds, then run like crap with a WO2 reading offscale lean for five seconds, back and forth, back and forth. Killed it on lean by dumping the clutch, checked filter, full.

I don't trust that new pump any more. It's one of those shiny crimped on top aftermarket replacements that looks nothing like the OEM pump. I noticed when I installed it that it had a very limited throw range on the pump arm compared to the stock one. It didn't seem broken, but like it was designed that way.

Tonight I'm putting the old pump back on, pulling the cover to make sure the pump cam thing on the top gear isn't slipping or something (bad juju for cam gear!), and checking the feeder tubes to the jets and that the needles are tight and seated in the piston where they belong.

Dual carbs so only needs one to run dry or stop feeding fuel for whatever reason. The O2 sensor will go to 28 (est.) with twice the air. Maybe rig up a balance tube so you can monitor the fuel level in the bowls.

• Like 1

This O2 system hits the rails at 18. What you're saying makes sense, if both carbs were dry at the nozzle it wouldn't run at all. Now that I think about it the idling at the lean swing during the back and forth rich/lean was exactly like when I kill one during balancing.

• 3 weeks later...

Smoke helped me with a pressure gauge. Old pump all over the place.

Replaced pump and added regulator, it was running 9 psi.

New inlet valves, redid float levels last nite, retuned.

New hoses in every spot all the way back. New clamps and another filter. Stays full.

Running better than in a long while. Dry for the last couple weeks.

Rains hard on the way home from work. Sputters, pegged lean, dies. Filter empty

I have words for this.

Empty fuel filter.