L16 turboed??

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It's not... In Washington :P

The U67 came off of the L20B. You can actually get OEM remanufactured ones from datsunpartsllc.com, but they are $500. Sometimes people on ratsun sell them for 100-200 depending on condition. Sometimes more or less.

Look in the engine section for the Jason Grey sticky thread. He talks about the turbo L16 about half way through the second post for a brief moment. That will also give you some additional engine info for these old datsuns :)

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

I never understood the point of turboing a carbed car. I can understand supercharging as it is a more mechanical process. But for the money does it really provide more power than a properly built LZ motor?

I never understood the point of turboing a carbed car. I can understand supercharging as it is a more mechanical process. But for the money does it really provide more power than a properly built LZ motor?

tumblr_lxexk0I9DY1qkidmb.gif

Guess im a dumbass...

Any time you're dealing with forced induction of any kind(supercharging or turbocharging), you're increasing the potential for power output beyond what a naturally aspirated engine of the same displacement is capable of on it's own.

And just so you know, turbocharging is actually even more efficient than supercharging. Superchargers put drag on the engine, while turbochargers are driven off the exhaust(which is otherwise wasted energy).

Well I understand the principle of both. But I always thought on a carbed engine it would mess with fuel delivery. You jet your carbs in accordance to your environment. Wouldn't the changing boost make the jets only efficient for a certain range then youre running lean or rich?

As long as your fuel pressure increases with boost(to keep the fuel bowl full), the A/F ratio should stay the same(to a point). Carburetors work on venturi, and when the air moving past moves faster(as with forced induction), the fuel likewise will enter proportionately. That part of the system works just the same way that it would with a supercharger.

Some things do need to be tweaked, of course, but it's totally doable. People have been doing it for longer than you or I have been alive. Do a little research if you're really that interested.

Thats true. Also, couldn't you only run a single carb? I cant imagine there being enough room in a 510 for a turbo set up with dual side drafts. I guess its just 2 very different approaches to performance. One is optimizing every part of the NA engine to squeeze every bit of power out of it and the other is forced induction with a lot of customization. I imagine that it would have to be a relatively low CR motor with a custom grind cam?