31"s with no power steering? (can the engine handle it?)

EatLag

Righto, im a relatively small built guy, and i got myself a 83' 720 with a z24

I love the car and im looking to fit these

http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/upper-caboolture/wheels-tyres-rims/4x4-wheels/1037760492

what i want to know is, how much harder is it going to turn when im going say 5 - 10 km/h on the bitumen, and can the transfer case, transmission, and diffs handle these bigger wheels?

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think so wayno, i was gunna attempt to create my own but i wouldnt know where to start

I can give you some ideas on how to put power steering on it, but I am not there to see if there is room.

How much room you have on the inside right front frame rail, and I mean as close to the radiator as you can get?

i know a bloke that made his own, if i got all the shit he might weld it for me, so you wreckon everything out of a d22?

What did he use?

The thing about where you live is that you can go to a wrecking yard over there and start looking around, if your early hardbody(D21) has power steering, it will likely bolt right up, the rest is just fab something up, but the steering gear itself is a high torque part, it needs to bolt up solid, otherwise something like this could happen to you.

DSCN1216.JPG

DSCN1215.JPG

My homemade 521 power steering setup has my steering gear from a 720 on the outside, the driverside idler arm and steering gear share a bolt, that is why the frame got wasted.

100_0155.JPG

Mine is setup like a custom 4X4, I had a special custom centerlink made, not sure that would work where you live though.

100_0154.JPG

are we sure it had nothing to do with those bad welds??

The bad welds happened after shit started falling apart, you know, turning the steering wheel half a turn and having nothing happen, I did not sleeve the holes I drilled when I installed the power steering gear, but that is all in the past now, it's all fixed and have not had any issues in a long time, and it was never a long time between issues before. :lol:

There is a lot of side torque on the frame when turning at slow speeds, and the 521 frame was never made to have the power steering gear mounted there, back when I did this power steering setup and disc brakes, I was on my own, as this was done before Ratsun existed, and before I even had a computer for anything other than emails.

I posted these photos to show one of many ways to fabricate a power steering setup, and as an example of what happens when it is not done correctly.